Watchtower Double Talk September 15, 2015

by LevelThePlayingField 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Is this double talk or is it just me? It's a comment in the Sept 15, 2015 WT about higher education:

11 Today, we are blessed with much knowledge of Jehovah’s works of creation and the outworking of his purpose. The world promotes higher education and advanced learning. Yet, the experience of many shows that pursuing such things often leads to loss of faith and loss of love for God. The Bible, however, urges us not only to love knowledge but also to acquire wisdom and understanding. That means to learn how to use the knowledge that God has given us so that we can benefit ourselves and others.

Isn't that double talk or is is it just me???

• LevelThePlayingField
  • tiki
    tiki
    A bunch of words that say nothing......just makes people with no initiative to educate themselves feel superior about it....very ignorant unfortunately...
  • mynameislame
    mynameislame

I believe this is called shibboleth. i.e. it makes perfect sense to JWs.

In reality it is just the dubs trying to interpret the scriptures to fit their own needs. The bible says to love knowledge but this does not mean getting an education, it means reading more watchtowers.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The Bible, however, urges us not only to love knowledge but also to acquire wisdom and understanding. That means to learn how to use the knowledge that God has given us so that we can benefit ourselves and others.

I wouldn't call it double talk. You see, the Governing Body sincerely believes that instead of Jehovah's Witnesses seeking out higher education where the things they learn come from human sources, they can instead learn everything God wants mankind to know, from the Bible. You know.. such as how to perform Bypass surgery, how to make lenses for eye glasses, how to produce and use Insulin, how to produce electricity, how to identify viruses and develop vaccines. Let's not forget how the Internet technology that is used to spread their message on JW.ORG, came from the pages of the Bible. (P.S I'm sure the formula for the much used by JW's drug, Prozac came from the Bible as well)

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

It's nothing more than Orwellian "doublethink" used to purposely distort reality...

• Magnum
    Magnum

Yeah, it's double talk, and it just doesn't make sense.

Today, we are blessed with much knowledge of Jehovah’s works of creation

And the reason we have such knowledge of the "creation" is because of "higher education and advanced learning". The org regularly appeals to the works of those with higher education. Without higher learning, we’d know nothing of the process of photosynthesis which the org points to as evidence of a creator. We’d know nothing about the heavenly bodies or what light is or what the stuff around us is made of. There would be no advanced math or understanding of the beauty, mechanics, intriicacies, and subtleties of langage. Etc.

the experience of many shows that pursuing such things often leads to loss of faith and loss of love for God.

So to what conclusions does that lead - that faith and love for God are only (or mostly) for the ignorant, for those who remain in the dark - that if people educate themselves they will no longer believe in God?

It seems to me that if a creator exists, then the more one learns, the more he should believe in that creator. Why would more learning cause one to believe less in the creator if he actually exists?

--------------------------------------------

So what do JWs think they're going to do in the "new world"? Are they going to deliberately remain ignorant and only engage in lower learning (whatever that is) so they won't have their faith destroyed? Will JWs in the new world be forbidden from studying advanced math, science, etc.?

The Bible, however, urges us not only to love knowledge but also to acquire wisdom and understanding. That means to learn how to use the knowledge that God has given us so that we can benefit ourselves and others.

So we are supposed to "love knowledge"? What knowledge - only that provided through the Bible? Without higher education and advanced learning, we wouldn't have the knowledge the Bible gives. For example, it takes advanced language skills to translate the Bible from the dead languages it was written in.

I can't help but think of my mother. She is totally clueless. She knows nothing about science. Her math skills are limited to addition and subtraction and some multiplication and division. She would be stumped if you asked her what 1/2 of 1/3 is; she wouldn't even know how to find the answer to that using a calculator.Yet she has strong faith

I actually want to believe, yet I struggle. I do have some higher learning (mostly math, chemistry, physics and some biology), but that didn't give me a "bad attitude" or cynical outlook. There were actually a lot of things I learned that made me believe more - for example all the square laws and inverse square laws in physics, the way the number π seems to be related strangely to so many things in the natural world, and Euler's Identity (e^iπ + 1 = 0). It actually wasn't secular higher education and advanced learning that made me start doubting. It was higher education and advanced learning about JWdom that got me.

Sure, I always had questions and doubts about some things like the flood and the fact that many animals seem "designed" to kill, yet only a few thousand years ago they were all vegetarian according to JWs. However, I thought JWs were right and that I would get the answers to those issues later. But when I started my advanced learning about JWdom, well... you know.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

What they mean is:

"study the watchtower library and everything we publish"

They don't really want people to study the Bible...

• Magnum
    Magnum
    That's true, paradisebeauty, they don't even want people to really study the Bible; they want them to study JW publications and read the Bible wearing JW glasses.
  • brandnew
    brandnew

Arent we so glad that all other religions accept higher learning, and have hospitals, and places for youngsters to go to afterscholl?

What does jw have?? More watchtowers, and more door knocking 😂😡

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit