Scientology Superbowl Ad

by azor 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    What happened to "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." What it only applies if your skin is lighter.

Do you have numbers showing that more immigrants are white vs brown? I thought all the demographics that the Dems like to talk about show that white people are a shrinking demographic?

And the important part of the quote is "yearning to breathe free". Not "seeking to enslave us" or "wanting benefits" or numerous other illegitimate reasons for entering the country.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I'm a bigot if I don't support criminals? OK, put me down as bigot.

No, you are not a bigot, so we'll put you down as delusional, because you don't have a basic grasp on what is effective against illegal immigration.

I imagine you also think that a ban on a few muslim countries will somehow stop terrorists come into the country if they are determined.

• never a jw
    never a jw

If you have bought into the rhetoric calling for a wall then yes you are a bigot

This narrow minded approach, to say the least, is what's going to get this country even more polarized.

I think the wall is a waste of money. I also believe that Trump expecting Mexico to pay for the wall is absolutely ridiculous. But calling the people favoring the wall bigoted never crosses my mind. Those people favoring the wall are threatened by mostly economic and cultural factors that affect their lives and livelihood. They believe the wall will reduce that threat. Bigotry is hardly a reason.

The biggest threat to Americans' jobs and wages is coming from a global economy. The wall will not change that. That's why, if it ever happens, is going to fail to solve any economical threats.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    WHY is it OK for MEXICO to have immigration laws but BIGOTED for the US to insist on the same sovereignty?

Let's unpack this, to show it's absurd:

Does Mexico have immigration laws? Yes

Does US have immigration laws? Yes

Do all countries in the world have immigration laws? yes

Why don't other countries build walls on their borders? Well, because they clearly see it's completely ineffective.

But wait, if we build a wall, won't people approaching the border see the wall, and completely abandon their plans to come into this country? No, they will simply find a way through it.

But wait, in the areas of the border where we already have a wall, has it stopped illegal immigrants? No it has not.

So why are we building the wall? Because lots of Americans are idiots, and fall for populist moves which appeal to their heart instead of their mind.

• Simon
    Simon

I can't believe all these people voted for Obama, the biggest bigot ever.

He must be right, by the same reasoning? He deported more people (over 2.5 million) than any US president ever and more than all other 20th century presidents combined (including "operation wetback").

Shameful, lock him up.

Or please explain how it's better to let people enter and then kick them out vs controlling who enters in the first place?

Also, for context, I like to think of Americans as "our Mexicans". Just y'all stay over that side of the slight-line cut in the grass, m'kay?

• azor
    azor

I don't know for a certainty that I didn't have family that were Nazi's. None that I know of. I did have an uncle fight them, and suffer the rest of his life for it.

Again we are talking about the wall here. Scientologists get a commercial and a human rights ad gets cut. The double standard is palpable.

Nathan do you support Scientology as well as the wall? Who are the unhinged ones now. Note I didn't throw out Nazi. You did.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Immigration control should not be confused with racism or bigotry.

Every country has the the right to control who enters their country for their own reasons.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Azor, who brought up the matter of an uncle who fought in WWII? Was he fighting invaders from Dimension X, or Nazis, like all the other allied combatants did?

• azor
    azor

Look at a perfect example of a bigot by seeing what Nathan has said in the other post. It seems to me that the more you dig into those that support the wall the more bigotry is on display. Not supporting the wall does not mean that one is opposed to borders or reforming the immigration process.

• Simon
    Simon

I see a perfect example of someone trying to get out of the corner they've argued themselves into by shouting "bigot".

It's being over-used and poorly applied.

bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Hatred and intolerance? For suggesting that people follow the law? It seems like a stretch. By that definition every person involved in law enforcement from border security, police up to judges etc... are bigots.

So I think you're misusing the term.

A bigot would be someone who is intolerant to Mexicans, regardless of their immigration status or history. The confusion is often because people who are bigots will use immigration as a cover for it, but typically they will give it away because they don't want *any* of [whatever group] to come her, whether they do it legally or not.

Most decent countries have immigration programmes and they are not seen as bigoted. Only since Trump got in ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit