I hung out with Prince...

by confuzcious 30 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Donny & Marie Osmond are two very nice people. So is Steve Young (famous American football player).

But, that doesn't change the fact that Mormonism is a crackpot cult that hurts people in many of the same ways that the WT does.

Prince has been duped & deceived, let us not forget that

Edited by - dantheman on 8 February 2003 9:13:3

• mouthy
    mouthy

Gopher! thanks I found that very interesting.. See I learn every day from you lot!!!Even as a granny!!!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I drive through Prince's 'hood frequently. He hasn't invited me in once, the sourpuss!

Expatbrit

• confuzcious
    confuzcious

One of the reasons why I was so excited about meeting Prince is that if you know anything about him - you don't get backstage unless you know someone. And if you know Larry - you're gold.

He did his last set with Santana and when he got off stage I congratulated him on a great show. The one things I noticed is after I shook his hands, his hands were dry.

I mean, here's a guy that just played for almost three hours and gets off stage and it's just a day of work for him.

My wife got to talk with him at length about meetings and so forth. At the time, he was explaining how he had is second talk coming up.

Anyway, going back to the first comment - at the time - the general attitude of the friends back home was like "Well - lets see how long this lasts (him being a witness)."

I think most of the witnesses here get totally fumed up whenever they see a brother with money or any measure of fame.

As if, the only REAL witnesses are the ones that mop floors.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    If Larry Graham was really "down to earth", it is unlikely Prince would be puttering around with that God-awful religion right now.

Aw c'mon Six. You haven't met the man. When meeting Larry Graham, I didn't feel like I was in the presence of a "star" at all. I felt like I was just talking to a very nice guy when I met him. I had no preconceived notions about the man, not particularly being a fan of his music.

Larry really seems to buy the Witness doctrine, and he seems to have "sold" it lock, stock and barrel to Prince the Artist. And for now it fills a need for Prince, I guess.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And if you tell me you think a person can be "down to earth" and a JW at the same time, I simply don't see how. Not to mention a freakazoid JW at that.

Please don't argue with my phrasing, you'll lose. Here is a man who became a JW while a fairly big music star... managed to become a witness, and play the witness power game to the hilt, keep his career in music alive and thriving, while wining and dining JR Brown. In terms of real life spending power, the JW religion has somehow not cost this man what it has cost most people. Things would be quite different, btw, if his big hit had been "Irresistable bitch" instead of "One in a Million" (great tune, btw, especially done as reggea). He's a freakazoid witness. More power to him.... except... well, that's the problem, all that "power to him" influences other people, like, for instance, Prince Nelson Rogers anything in heels .

Some people think JR Brown is really down to earth too. I wonder what JT thinks.

But confuzcious point is well taken, rank and file witnesses view people like Prince with much suspicion. Almost as if they would like to create a self-fulfilling prophecy that he will fail to "make the truth his own". And you know what? If Prince didn't have his head so far in the clouds, if he was just a regular joe, I think he'd have noticed that witnesses aren't really accepting of him. He's quite insulated from the reality of it all.

One thing JW's don't have room for (conceptually) is artistically induced individuality.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Not to mention a freakazoid JW at that.

Dude, even when you're being serious it still just comes out don't it! ROTFL!

I'm not surprised that Prince would get caught up in the JW's. He was always a pretty spiritual person. Face it most pl that dabble in drugs and sex really are just trying to find meaning or satisfaction in life and that pretty much equates to being spiritual, imo. I heard him say during an interview yrs ago that the song 'Let's Go Crazy' was about God and Satan. All it takes is a chance enounter with the right person and a personal tragedy to make a person re-evaluate their life and decide he needs to make some changes. The jw's pitch is perfect for ppl that find themselves in that predicament.

• Beans
    Beans

Yes you should not judge people outside the faith, and show love towards all apostates as they are people too!

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Beans

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I think there are wonderful people both in and out of the organization. To say that one is worse then another, is not a very fair way at looking at people. When people start classifing people as all bad and expecting me to feel the same, I normally walk away and loss their phone number and forget their address. My mom is in the organization, and so is my sister. I love them both and they would do anything for my wife and I. Yes, there is truly good people inside and out.

Although I have never been a huge fan of Prince. I hope what ever he does, brings him happiness.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    In terms of real life spending power, the JW religion has somehow not cost this man what it has cost most people

well said.

How can a wealthy, celebrity JW with fan clubs devoted to them, etc., ever conceive of how devastating the WT's institutionalized shunning policy is to your average Joe Blow JW who gets sawn asunder by the WT judicial machine.

I wonder how much d2d Prince is expected to do. If there is any one thing that would serve as a functional excuse to not have to engage in this dreary dub ritual, it would be being a very recognizable celebrity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit