San Francisco man first American to grasp Irony

by Simon 21 Replies latest social humour

• Simon
    Simon

San Francisco Man Becomes First American To Grasp Meaning Of Irony

Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and, like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "great weather eh?" and I thought "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather!".

Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate. Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time." he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them to a crisp and I said "hey, great weather eh?".

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ah, some American's have a grasp of Irony. George Bush's routine on 'World Leader' is a great example, as he underlines the surrialism of the underlying metaphor by acting as though he doesn't need the consent of those he leads. Brilliant irony. Reminds me of a REM song.

For the most part though, American's think Irony is an alloy, like Aluminumy, or Coppery, or Brassy, or Tinny.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

As an American who sometimes get's his shorts in a bunch over "America bashing" I must say that the last lines in both Abbadon's and Simon's posts were pretty dang funny. (Except that Iron, Aluminum, copper, and Tin are not alloys, are they?)

Hmmm (who likes the way Brits say AL-yoo-min-ee-yum)

PS It's Canadians who don't know the meaning of irony--ever heard Isn't It Ironic, by Alanis Morissette

[edited to add copper to the list of elements-not-alloys]

Edited by - hmmm on 7 February 2003 9:31:12

• Simon
    Simon
    Hmmm (who likes the way Brits say AL-yoo-min-ee-yum)

Wow ... the exact pronunciation! That's even more like we say it that we do.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Hey! I un-deer-stand i-urn-eee. DUHHHHHHH!

*drools intermittantly*

You know, some of us are rather intelligent. Some Americans aren't obese, ignorant, socially unacceptable, Jerry Springer watching malcontents who are bubbling over with fat, don't know what Pericles is and who wrote it, and always thinks that being able to kill a man in one shot is a badge of honor..LOL....some of us are cool, really.

LOL @ Simons first post, though.

ash

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*shuts Ashi up with a chair*

• dubla
    dubla

and i always thought that americans were the most sarcastic people around.

aa

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Some Americans aren't obese, ignorant, socially unacceptable, Jerry Springer watching malcontents who are bubbling over with fat, don't know what Pericles is and who wrote it, and always thinks that being able to kill a man in one shot is a badge of honor..

I know! I met him!

Expatbrit

• starfish422
    starfish422

Well, Simon, I thought it was funny anyways. :)

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Some Americans aren't obese, ignorant, socially unacceptable, Jerry Springer watching malcontents who are bubbling over with fat, don't know what Pericles is and who wrote it, and always thinks that being able to kill a man in one shot is a badge of honor

Who's Jerry Springer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit