Were You Ever Defrauded Or Taken Advantage Of?

by minimus 12 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

by a Witness? I have been a few times in some business dealings. And you???

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=45347&site=3

most definitely YES. please read it on this thread^ ---it is just so much for me to tell over again...I posted about 3 or 4 posts on that thread ^ and it tells the whole story. I want everyone to know --especially anyone who might still know these people---but it takes alot out of me each time I retell the story.

Ravyn

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Once we contracted with a "brother" to build a deck in our back yard. He wanted $1,500 and $900 up front. Well he sunk the posts and then vanished. We tracked him down in Austin a few months later and filed suit. Sure enough, we were paid a visit by an elder who told us that was a no-no. He shut up when I asked him if he wanted to be responsible for the $900 that was stolen from me. He left when I asked him if he wanted to contact the Austin congregation and let those elders "encourage" this brother to return my money. It took about a year, and a helluva lot of persistent nagging by my wife (thanks Nina) but we finally got all $900 back. My father in law and I in the meantime built the deck ourselves for $200 in lumber. We did a pretty good job too.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yeah I got screwed around by my own brother in law a good Jdub. It was over a handshake deal and he went back on his word. It is a long story but he made an agreement with me to sell something for him at a set price. He said he only wanted so much money and anything over that amount I could keep. Then when he found out I sold the item for more than he thought I could get he went back on his agreement. The sickening thing is it was only for a few dollars to. Myself, if it happened to me I would have just chalked it up to a experience. He then goes around and preaches to others how to live an honest life.... I have learned a long time ago there is two things you never trust another man on, that is women and money...

Will

Edited by - william penwell on 7 February 2003 0:38:29

• heathen
    heathen

I think it is an attempt to defraud everytime they walk out on the stage during one of their conventions and announce they are short on funds and then at the end make the announcement they broke even . Personally the ones I've known were more or less crooks anyway. I can't think of times that they screwed me so much as my parents .

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Talking about fraud, at the last convention I was at the convention accounts servant gave the figures that didn't seem to add up. He first said they were 900+ dollars in the good from last convention. Then he said they had taken in about 4,000 dollars in contributions but were still about 4,000 in the red. I was think it sounded a little high to just pay for the heat and light for 2 days. Anyway after he said that they made a thousand dollar contribution to the society from the surplus from the last assembly. I mean if I was contributor I would be offended that money that was supposed to go the costs of the convention goes back to the Fat Cats in Brooklyn.

Will

• confuzcious
    confuzcious

I started a business for my friend and the deal was that he was supposed to give me a percentage of the earnings.

At first I recieved regular payments, but after a while, it stopped.

The guy also took all the equipment I bought for the business and moved away. I haven't heard from him since.

• minimus
    minimus

One thing the innocent can't always understand is that just because someone is a "brother", it doesn't mean you're not gonna get screwed!

• minimus
    minimus

I know of a "brother" that built additions to houses. He was considered "good but expensive". A new Witness family asked him to do some work and because he was a "brother", felt that they would be treated fairly. When one of the elders was told about the transaction, he volunteered to the new family that the cost sounded very expensive. It turned out that the "brother" was charging $30,000 over what the "worldly" contractors were bidding. The "worldly" contractor got the job.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

a sister friend of mine gave me some good advice way back when---she said NEVER HIRE ANYONE YOU CANT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH CALLING ON THE PHONE AND TELLING THEM TO GET THEIR FAT A$$ BACK OVER HERE TO DO IT OVER AND GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME OR I WILL SUE!

she never hired JWs.

I bought a house once and it had been abandonned in a divorce and bankruptcy so I was thrilled to get an entire house full of furniture for the price of just the house, and alot of stuff was in very good condition. Well a brother was doing the painting for me and while he was painting some people who the previous owner owed money to pulled up and told the brother that they were there to get 'their' stuff and he used the keys, let them in my house,and helped them load all the furniture(which was half mine that I had a;ready moved in)in their truck! The neighbor called me and told me what happened, and because I had a clue who they were I drove over to their apartment--saw them eating off MY kitchen table thru the window and called the cops. I got everything back except for a bathroom shelf and a lamp---but no thanks to the brother who was painting my house! It was not really fraud---just utter stupidity.

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit