Malicious Content on Web Servers

by TD 14 Replies latest forum suggestions

• TD
    TD

I hope nobody would fall for this. Not sure what can be done though...

• Simon
    Simon

Of course people fall for things like that, they wouldn't exist if they didn't.

Some of them are extremely difficult to tell from "genuine" prompts. It's why self-updating browsers like Chrome are better than ones that prompt you to update (by downloading a running an executable? eek!)

• TD
    TD

I normally prefer Chrome too, but to be fair, Firefox has not updated in this fashion for several iterations now.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thank you for sharing.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We've had the phone call from "Microsoft" wanting to instruct us on updating our computer to rid it of a malicious virus. Apparently Microsoft is outsourcing this as they always have a foreign accent.

• Simon
    Simon

Microsoft would never be calling anyone to update their computer!

Scam, scam, scam.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Here in U.K. almost daily scam call saying that they, BT, have detected malicious activity from your router or whatever, scam,

BT would never call over this and certainly not from someone with an Indian accent, barely speaking English.

BT the biggest telecom company in U.K., they say put phone down on these calls. I had 3 on Friday

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

We've had the phone call from "Microsoft" wanting to instruct us on updating our computer to rid it of a malicious virus. Apparently Microsoft is outsourcing this as they always have a foreign accent.

This has been a scam for many years. My father in his last months of life, lost some judgement, but would answer the phone and used the computer a good bit. He got to the point the caller gained control of his computer! Finally realizing something was wrong, Dad hug up and called me. My frantic response was immediately turn off your computer, call your computer tech and take it to him NOW to clean it up!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I got a phone call from the usual foreign accented one and I had fun grilling him with questions. He was exasperated knowing that I wasn't going to do what he wanted but kept talking to him anyways.

Try it sometime. They're used to being hung-up on not hanging up themselves.

• Listener
    Listener

We were getting weekly calls from the Microsoft scammers, we couldn't get rid of them.

We had a call from India, saying our Internet was going to be cut off in 2 hours. I had fun with that call telling them I was happy about that as I'd been trying to get it disconnected for ages. They were so confused and still trying to convince me that I had a problem. They haven't called back since.

Then there were some calls from India wanting to speak to the person in our household who had had a car accident within the last two years. We kept saying that no one has and continued to get weekly calls. A few weeks ago I played along but since he claimed he was calling from my local area, I asked for his name and address and said I would visit him personally to file the claim. It was a bogus address of course but they still had the gall to call me the next week. So I thanked him very much for urging me to make an insurance claim and I had now done so. He apologised for calling and I haven't had another call.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit