When they ask in exasperation; "But what if it IS the Truth?"

by nicolaou 23 Replies latest social family

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

This is how Robert Ingersoll responded to a Fundamentalist's question, 'What if it's the truth?' back in the 19th century. 

----

"Why," they say to me, "suppose all this should turn out to be true, and you should come to the day of Judgement and find all these things to be true. what would you do then?" I would walk up like a man, and say, "I was mistaken.""And suppose God was about to pass judgment upon you, what would you say?" I would say to him, "Do unto others as you would that others should do unto you." Why not?

I am told that I must render good for evil. I am told that if smitten on one cheek I must turn the other. I am told that I must overcome evil with good. I am told that I must love my enemies; and will it do for this God who tells me to love my enemies to damn his? No, it will not do. It will not do."

----

• Simon
    Simon
    Great quote :thumbsup:
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I must remember that when I meet my maker , do atheists meet their maker ? Oh Well

smiddy

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Some people know just what to say.
  • One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss
    Thanks Nicolaou, that's one to remember :)
  • prologos
    prologos
    It is a good one. because "god" holds himself to that high standard, in the ransom idea/story for example, arranging for his son to be killed to satisfy his standard of strict justice. leading by example.  
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Killer quote.  Thanks for posting! 
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    I had someone say that to me the other day, I said a version of that plus something like "Out of the 30,000 known gods and goddesses throughout history, what if any of the others were right? What if Islam, Judaism, worship of Thor, Odin, Ra, Jupiter, Zoroaster, Mithra, Ebisu or ANY others is the one you should have been worshiping or, what if you DID get the right god but the wrong sect? There are over 30000 of those around today and hundreds of others that are barely known to historians? You're asking me to bet how I live my entire life on those odds? On the odds that you, out of all of history, have figured out the right god, the right way to worship with the right rituals?
  • Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y
    "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free". It has and I am grateful. 
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Odd that someone who declares himself free includes the word 'Slave' in his username..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit