the purpose of generation explanation

by poopie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They move the goalposts to keep the money coming in. Meanwhile, their holinesses the watchtower rock star popes are enjoying life. Every one else can do a running jump and die as long as they leave everything to the watchtower in their wills.

Scam!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Five years ago,, when it was "new light" I wrote up and asked them which English Dictionary defined "generation" in the way that they did.

Their reply refers to a Hebrew Bible lexicon and cites the verse that ,I believe Bro Splane uses. That is irrelevant to a NT text that we have in Greek and does not confirm their use of "generation" in the way they do. It is purely the understanding of the English word that we dispute. It was nonsense then and nonsense now.

(not a good scan but I hope it suffices)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Blues Brother, the answer you received back from the society makes as much sence as this:-

Dear Brother.

Thank you very much for your sweet letter. You asked for some clarification on the " generation interpretation"

Oh I could give you a big hug! Bless you for your sincere question.

And. having read your simply darling comments about your understanding of " The Generation interpretation" We give you the clarity you ask for:-

Please note the article in " The Watchtower 15th" now has a broader meaning so :-

A) Shouldnt your heart be in your mouth?

B) The excitement! of the latest clarification is something our past generations of brothers would have longed to have knowledge of.

C) The greater understanding we now have, it shows Jehovers blessing.

Still, MUST NOW DASH......

" We send you warm Christian love and best wishes"

" Your brothers in Jehovers service"

p.s we have sent your letter of concern to the elders in your congregation who will happily give a fuller explanation to your questions, in more personal and private surroundings.

The Rebel.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    "We make shit up as we go along", is a much better explanation.
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I tuned out after 1975.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Witness My Fury....LOL...very succinct !
  • prologos
    prologos
    Half banana
    Prologos mentioned that they got 1914 right... sorry friend but no they did not!
    wt uses 1914 all the time. 1914 happened, they might lie about what they prophesied about it, they were wrong in their calculation, but the DATE happened and it is a gold mine for them, they started the Golden Age mag even, g-ee.
    The purpose of the generation explanation is to keep the gold mine (the wt age) in profitable operation.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think that it's possible that they're getting ready to issue a new end time date insinuation like they did with 1975.

Now I know what some of you are probably thinking: why would they be so stupid as to repeat such a mistake, knowing what happened in 1975? Well here're two reasons why I think they will do it:

First, it's important to remember that they are deluded. They really believe that the end is coming within "this generation" so it's easy for them to tell themselves that even if they were wrong in the past they now have a better handle on the timeline.

Second, they will rationalize their claim by saying that they're not really setting a date for the end. This is what I believe they will do: They will conduct a global survey to determine the youngest surviving member of group 2 of the overlapping generation. They will use this person's current age and an estimated maximum life-expectancy + a few years for safety, to determine a maximum end date for "this generation". Then they will publish in a Watchtower that "this generation" is projected to continue up to 20xx for the absolute latest. Then they will say something like:

"Can we conclude then that this wicked system will end in 20xx? No, we cannot make such specific predictions because Jesus clearly said no one knows the day or the hour. But he did tell us the generation. That generation's end point - this generation's end point - is clearly discernible and fast approaching! Jesus said "this generation will not pass away until all these things occur"! Evidently, the end of this wicked system must come some time before 20xx. We do not know the day or the hour but we do know the deadline!"

And so this line of reasoning will implant the date 20xx in the minds of JWs creating as much hype over that date as existed regarding the 1975 date. And they will rationalize away Jesus' statement about no one knowing the day by saying that they're not claiming to know the day, that the end can come anytime before 20xx - only it must come before then.

I can totally see this happening.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I think at its most basic level the reason they are repeating it is because nobody understands it. Theres a lot of head scratching over it locally and everytime they bring it up it only makes it worse. Keep bringing it fellas, your only making it easier for me ;)
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

poopie - "the purpose of generation explanation"...

...was to buy themselves another couple decades.

x

steve2 - "You get a convoluted mess when you try to fit scriptures to your beliefs."

And believe me, we'd know.

(It's hard enough trying to fit beliefs to your scriptures. :smirk:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit