Deprogramming your "Last Days" phobia...

by logansrun 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Liberty
    Liberty

Great post Gary,

You really said it all in a nutshell. Most of us ex-JWs suffer the most because of the very things you pointed out. We were never prepared for the realities of life by our parents due to their main moral authority, the Watch Tower Society, therefore, we are crippled and left playing catch up our whole lives.

Logansrun,

Science has been my comfort since leaving the Watch Tower cult. Whenever I feel the old irrational fears instilled in me by this destructive cult I recall the realities that science teaches us. 99% of all species that have ever lived on this planet are now extinct. Extinction is the rule and not the exception. It is remarkable that human beings still exist at all, let alone in the vast numbers we now represent. Despite what the secular post modern environmental extremists and the religious fanatics preach we are not at the thresh hold of anhilation but rather we are in a great position to survive and thrive because of our advances in understanding the natural Universe around us.

Natural forces have been the cause of ALL extinctions before the evolution of human beings( the majority of the Earth's history) so, despite what the dooms sayers preach, we have NOT been responsable for most of the destruction seen on this planet. The chances of humans being the cause of the Earth's ultimate demise are infintisimly small. The combined force of all human weapons can not destroy the Earth because it is so massive and many lifeforms would survive even the worst damage humans can inflict. If we spread our great numbers out into space and inhabit other planets our chances for survival are greatly increased. Instead of religion's imaginary hopes and fears which have proven to be bogus I have hope, based on tangable facts, that our own inteligence will allow us to survive far into the future. Our destruction is not inevitable, we have already beaten the odds. Even if we do become extinct however, keep in mind that God will have nothing to do with it since the majority of living things no longer exists by nature's own laws. Armaggedon is imaginary with about as much power as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Wow, archangel....talk about a hermeneutics of suspicion. As namewithheld pointed out, I posted a general account of my story a couple weeks ago. My post was made for others opinions on the subject of apocalyptic paranoia, nothing more.

Bradley

• Gig
    Gig

Believe the Word as God intended: No one knows the day or the hour...and...Do not worry about tomorrow.

I hope I don't offend you, but that really is the plain fact and the best advice.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

it gets better, it does go away, i promise.

jackie

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

I am reading a book called "A History of Interest Rates" by Sydney Homer. He traces interest rates and credit back to Baylonian and Assyrian times. Anyway, he had a quotation - which I will paraphrase since I don't have the book to hand - from an Assyrian tablet that basically went as follows.

The world is going mad. Crime is on the increase. Children are disobedient to parents. Every man wants to write a book. Clearly the end of the world is near.

Unfortunately, Homer is dead and he didn't give a source. I'll post the exact quote when I have a chance. I'm assuming it's legit since the book seems very well researched.

But the Society's last days mentality is hardly new - I'm assuming that Homer's quote goes back to around 1800 BC.

Gedanken

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm fortunate that I never had the "Last Days" phobia... this is actually on of the reasons I left the bOrg... I was sick of hearing about it.

• acsot
    acsot

I think our reactions to current events depends to a certain degree on how disconnected we were from Watchtower scare tactics before ever coming to a realization of the depth of their errors. As mentioned above, I would much rather be living now than in previous generations, and have felt this way for a very long time. Therefore, every time Id hear the fear ­ ­ ­ ­- mongers going on at the KH or at assemblies about the end being near due to events in the world, I would be more irritated than afraid. Then after reading many of the posts here dealing with doctrine/ science/history, as well as many of AlanFs essays, it was as though I found my long ­- lost inner harmony I wasnt the one with the problem, it was THEM!!

My disconnect was rather rapid its only been since around August when I realized the truth about the troof, but a JW at work was talking to me today about various things (Im an undercover apostate at this point ) and it came around to Iraq, Korea, Afghanistan and she said this could mean the end. Well, initially I didnt have a clue what the hell she was talking about. The end of Air Canada? (the airline is in big debt); the end of soldiers lives ? which is terrible, but I know she doesnt know any soldiers so why would she bring it up? Of course, all this went through my mind in about a second until I clued in that she meant the big A. Then I thought what an idiot!

So I guess this is a round about way of saying thanks to AlanF and others for all their insights!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Everyone made such great posts. I only have to add:

Since we were programmed to not believe in our soul living after our physical body died, I don't really fear dying. I don't want to die tomorrow, however, I don't see a terrible tragedy when I die.

I guess since I left I came to accept that I will die someday and since I don't believe in hell or heaven, I will just be gone. That thought does not frighten me. As so many pointed out, our lives now are much better than any time in history, so I am glad I am here. The thought of life forever just does not excite me.

With paradise comes a whole set of questions: electricity? running water? Blow dryer? I really need a blow dryer. And a toilet. A hole in the ground does not appeal.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

That's funny, because this is exactly how I felt when I saw the "Special Report" come on in the middle of a show I was watching. Egads... Oh. Thunderstorms. Those are the absolute worst.

CG

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Iティンkゑ官下t亜日t恵thの先t利c。Its後男dと家恵pイン民dてゃt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit