Deprogramming your "Last Days" phobia...

by logansrun 33 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Raised in a religion that preached a massive, theocratic holocaust for the majority of mankind can leave you with more than a few mental and emotional scars. I remember being terrified on New Years eve in 1986 (I was 9 yrs old) because of all the talk that that year was the "International Year of Peace." I was conditioned to look at world events as being a sign that the end is near, sound familiar?

Well, times are bad. Are they the worst ever? Perhaps, at least in terms of dangers to the over all survival of our species. Interestingly, I do not see humans as being any more "evil" the way the Society does. If anything the enlightened world is more humane. Were there talks of "human rights" or "women's rights" a couple hundred years ago? "War crimes?" Was this in human's vocabulary before the twentieth century? If you were black, living in the South in the 1950's you could not eat at the same restaurant as a white person. In this area, times are better, far better.

But still, things are not good. Like most everyone here I get a little twinge of fear whenever I hear the news, especially when I hear any talk of "peace and security" (btw...is there really any other way to word this concept? I don't think so.)

I've read "Signs of the Last Days -- When" by Carl Olof Jonsson. It's a good read, but not great; his Christian belief makes a secular understanding of the subject impossible. Anybody have any thoughts on this matter from both a historical/scientific point of view as well as a psychological point of view? Any other good books you can think of? Thoughts?

Always curious,

Bradley

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

My thought is that "peace and security" is something some people say - after hiding the talent they have under a rock - just in case - who can tell in these 'uncertain times' - makes some people feel good (peace and security) to keep their self at a place like that.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Bradley!

The demise of the Roman Empire comes to mind. Took centuries; every generation for 300+ years had something "better" to look back on, and might well have been wondering "what is happening to the world?" Imagine grandparents and great-grandparents telling their family "In the good old days we ruled everybody and had more slaves than we could count, and now look what's happened--"

Reminds me of the proverb:

Dont long for "the good old days," for you dont know whether they were any better than today.
    Craig
  • Mulan
    Mulan

We always ask people "what time in history would you have rather lived?" Usually that makes them realize that things aren't THAT bad now. In centuries past, people had to deal with terrible plagues, famines (real famines), and marauding bands of criminals or mad people, causing havoc. In this country, there were attacks by natives, religious persecution and other things too.

In much of the world, in the past, women were not allowed to learn to read, had NO rights to their own children, couldn't own property and more.

Crime is actually down................don't tell a witness that. They won't hear you.

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Dude, you have to check out this site! I recommend pouring over it. It helped me a lot. I saw where and from whom the uneducated/biased Russell got his ideas, and where those people in turn got their ideas. Branch off into other areas of research at will. Thre is an answer to it all. Knowledge truly is power!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Bradley, Except for this media anxiety, how is your life going? Work and finances okay? Any problems with non-JW interpersonal relationships? Are you free from addictions, health okay? Any sleep problems? Can you make decisions without agony? gary

[email protected]

• Inkie
    Inkie

Hi Bradley,

Maybe re-reading Matthew 24:4-7 might help. Reading it without the Watchtower bifocals.

"See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, I am anointed, and they will lead many astray. You will be hearing of war and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for it must happen; but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdometc., etc., etc. The word "for" is an interesting preposition. It implies a continuation of the precedingnot a new thoughtas the Watchtower will have you believe. What follows the word "for" is a continuation of the previous, just a bit more expounded and/or explained. The Watchtower bifocals will have you believe the word "for" is ushering a new, different, and distinct thought. It is not. It's an explanation of the previous thoughts for which NOT TO BE ALARMED. Inkie

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good thread topic.

The "Last Days" phobia is one of the WT puppet-strings I haven't been able to cut completely. I too become fearful at the news, to the point where I am avoiding TV's, news magazines and newspapers like the plague.

I have such a fear of dying, I think that's what a lot of the last days paranoia (which is more or less a United States phenom) is all about. It has been said that Americans are a "death denying" culture. I'm sure I've been affected by that.

But, my teeny little Toyota Paseo could get rammed by a 10,000 pound Ford Excursion tomorrow on my way to work, and it would all be over. Life just ain't fair is it? Death is always waiting in the wings.

The fundy/evangelical churches are in a "end times" frenzy too. Just look at the popularity of that "Left Behind" series of books.

"Now in view of present labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain..." - Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1894 p. 228

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Brad,

I was raised in the Borg and know of these haunting feelings. They are deeply programmed.

Peace within was found only after some serious inner questioning and soul searching.

Look closely at the universe, it's majesty and beauty. Look into the eyes of a small child. Look deeply within your heart.

Can the Source of all this beauty be a murderous vengeful entity? Is it truly possible for you or anyone to love and respect a god who will kill you if you don't?

There are solid answers in your heart right now.

Answers which will bring you peace.

But only you can go there and find them.

Forget what you have been taught about God, and go to the center of your personal sense of Being, and find out for yourself.

JamesT

• PurpleV
    PurpleV
    I remember being terrified on New Years eve in 1986 (I was 9 yrs old) because of all the talk that that year was the "International Year of Peace." I was conditioned to look at world events as being a sign that the end is near, sound familiar?

Yup. I was a teenager in 1975, and was terrified of Armageddon. We were told it would be months, not years, before the End. One year just before there was a huge headline "PEACE AND SECURITY!" in our local rag. I almost s*** my pants.

At 12:01 A.M. on January 1, 1976, my Catholic cousin called to razz my Mom about "Where is Armageddon? You've been telling us for YEARS it was in 1975!!"

The WTS claims to be Jehovah's organization. How many more false prophesies will it take for people to figure out, duh, they don't have the holy spirit? Jesus said No One would know the day or the hour.

You've been "conditioned" for a lot of things. Time to start deprogramming yourself!

(((HUGS)))

Valerie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit