Churchaphobia Returns

by Carmel 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Carmel
    Carmel

Two weeks ago my wife informed me that the local Unitaran Universalists wanted me to speak at their church service which is only two blocks from our house. She failed to tell me they had originally asked her and she passed the buck, but alas, wiley as she is I agreed to it then heard the "rest of the story". So last Sunday I decided I would case the joint by attending their Sunday service which was a great talk about the black tenor, Paul Roberson. What was creapy was my feeling of discomfort being in the place. After leaving the JUU's I went to several churches looking for answers and I remember how unpleasant the experiance was. The rituals and people seeming to have no interest in challenging the spoon fed ideas.. I was quite a rebel! Well the same feeling came back as the members of the group would get up and light a candle and tell of something happening in their lives.. not a bad ice breaker but too ritualistic for this one.

When I got home I had to share with my wife that it was a cute little place but even as UU's they had too many trappings and rituals for me. Great people and open minds, but alas, where do these things come from?

carmel

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I went to a few church services after leaving JW world. The first one was at a real fundy Baptist church. Ugh, I don't know how I made it through it. I made a bee-line for the exit when it was over. I should have known better.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I remember that I would NOT even walk into a church or religious house of any sort post-JW.

Then around 1988 or so, I was out it a few years, and figured I would go take a look around.

I visited: Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Baptist, Buddhist, United, Anglican and a few others, some a one-time only deal.

But, I would get so exasperated, that I would simply, not go back.

I found that there was some degree of narrow-mindedness, and clashing of scriptural references or interpretations. I just fed up and said: "Screw it!"

So, now I'm just so not into any organized or disorganized church or house of worship what have you. Been there, done that.

Edited by - RAYZORBLADE on 5 February 2003 0:32:54

• Satanus
    Satanus

On christmas day, i toked up and proceeded to a large catholic church, w the purpose of taking in some organ/choir spiritual type music. The music finished all too soon. Then pomposouty entered, in the form of a speaking priest, churchaphobia kicked in and i left.

SS

• Gopher
    Gopher

Religion seems to be a man-made invention to organize and control ordinary people. As one poster put it, "it is the socialization of the spiritual urge".

A phobia is an irrational fear. I saw nothing irrational about any of the responses to church attendance above. I saw an intellectual rejection leading to an emotional reaction of "what the hell am I doing here?", which is all perfectly logical.

Instead of churchaphobia, maybe this could be called churchaversion.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

It took me a good 5 years before I'd go into a church. Once I did I shopped around at many different churches. The socialization was nice but the message was the same. As far as I know Universalists even allow Buddhist monks to give sermons to explain their religion. If I felt a need (which I will never) to be christian I would choose Universalist mainly because they are despised by other churches.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Interesting. The only people that seem to dislike the UU's are the bible thumping fundamentalists. They do seem to accept others and be very tolerant, however, their roots by definition are confined to the Judeao/Christian heritage but they claim to take "inspiration" from other non-christian religions. Can't quite bring themselves to accept that the other world religions may be from the same source. Still, nice folks.

carmel

• heathen
    heathen

Religion is a snare and a rackett . I know what you are talking about and have the same symptoms . I avoid the church scene like it was poison. Mainly because religions tend to have these over inflated views of their clergy and most can't agree on anything anyway so why bother ? I can find plenty of other things to argue over with people .

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

HUH?

Carmel-

*They do seem to accept others and be very tolerant, however, their roots by definition are confined to the Judeao/Christian heritage but they claim to take "inspiration" from other non-christian religions. Can't quite bring themselves to accept that the other world religions may be from the same source. *

The UUs are the ones who gave me refuge when I left JWs and I am currently a member of CUUPs--Covenant of UU Pagans. They gave me financial aid, sent me to college, and basically gave me room to grow. They asked nothing back. But I did speak to their Youth Group a couple of times about dangerous cults and 'how to handle a JW at your door'(I brought in the Reasoning Book and the kids knocked on my door and tried to stump me---afterwards they wanted Reasoning Books of their own to use against the JWs...I chuckled when I thought of how many books I 'placed' that day--as an apostate! I wanted so badly to hand in one last time slip!)

It has been my experience that the UUs differ according to the locale---down here in the South they are primarily xtian-oriented, but I never found it the case up in new England--to the contrary, I met more Buddhists and Pagans than anything else.

Ravyn

________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:

• Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
    • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
    • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
    • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
    • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
    • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.

The Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association

The Unitarian Universalist Association shall devote its resources to and exercise its corporate powers for religious, educational and humanitarian purposes. The primary purpose of the Association is to serve the needs of its member congregations, organize new congregations, extend and strengthen Unitarian Universalist institutions and implement its principles.

The Association declares and affirms its special responsibility, and that of its member societies and organizations, to promote the full participation of persons in all of its and their activities and in the full range of human endeavor without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, age, or national origin and without requiring adherence to any particular interpretation of religion or to any particular religious belief or creed.

Nothing herein shall be deemed to infringe upon the individual freedom of belief which is inherent in the Universalist and Unitarian heritages or to conflict with any statement of purpose, covenant, or bond of union used by any society unless such is used as a creedal test.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Because of my experiances with the dubs, I can never be a part of any religion that claims to be "christian". I have the same hangups as you do. I do not like all the rituals that take place in christian religions.

I went a few times to mass with my x girl. It bugged me to no end that they would chant the same things over and over again. Also all the standing, kneeling, sitting, kneeling, standing, kneeling. A true god cannot take pleasure in this.

I am currently looking into non christian alternatives to find my answers.

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit