COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 2-9-03 WT STUDY

by blondie 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

COMMENTS YOU NOT HEAR AT THE 2-9-03 WT STUDY

JANUARY 1, 2003 PAGE 8

NOW MORE THAN EVER, STAY AWAKE!

1 Thessalonians 5 (AMP)

6 Accordingly then, let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us keep wide awake (alert, watchful, cautious, and on our guard) and let us be sober (calm, collected, and circumspect).

And who would the rest be? Other Christians, non-Christians? In 1981 there was a detailed study article about this scripture in the year of the "apostate conspiracy" at Bethel and the fallout thereafter. The theme is much the same now. The WTS views the revelations about the UN and child abuse as tools of the apostate conspiracy in the year 2003. A housecleaning is underway with the visits to the inactive. But who needs to be adjusted, who is really sleeping? Who has really left the teachings of the scriptures and substituted their own?

*** w81 11/15 16-17 'Stay Awake and Keep Your Senses' ***

Any person who wants to survive into Gods righteous new order urgently needsto come into a right relationship with Jehovah and His earthly organizationnow.

Too, Gods servants have full confidence that he will keep his organization well informed, so that they can take the proper steps for survival. (Translation: God directly communicates with the WTS/FDS/GB).

Introductory Paragraphs

This section highlights two disasters. One natural, a volcanic eruption. The other manmade, the destruction of a people.

The first is not a prophetic event.

The WTS emphasizes the depravity of the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum by giving us the count of "118 bars and taverns some of which served as houses of gambling or prostitution. Immorality and materialism were rampant."

Materialism is the hobbyhorse at the assemblies, conventions, and CO talks to the congregation in 2002 and 2003. We are all self-serving materialists, based on their tirades about it. So here immorality carries the same weight as materialism. Good thing we cant be DFd for materialism, at least not yet.

The inhabitants of the cities had a chance to escape after the first explosion and many did but some chose to stay and died because of the superheated gases (much like those who did not leave Mount St Helens when it blew).

THE END OF THE JEWISH SYSTEM OF THINGS**

This was a manmade catastrophe that led to the death of over 1,000,000 Jews (97,000 survived). But they had warning (but not an obvious explosion like the 2 previous cities).

Jesus told the Christians living in Jerusalem that when they saw the city surrounded by encamped armies to flee to the mountains. The armies came, left, the Christians fled, the Jews came for the Passover and were trapped in Jerusalem by the returning Roman army.

Fine and good. Yes, heed warnings from the natural world around you or die. Heed warnings from Jesus or die.

TIMELY APOSTOLIC WARNINGS

Mark 13:33 is quoted: "Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is." Unless you are the WTS organization, then you can say 1914, 1925, 1975, 1994.

And what is behind all this materialism in the organization?

Doubts can weaken our sense of urgency, influencing us to drift toward self-indulgence.

Remember the flood (Remember the Alamo).

Peter helps his readers to cultivate patience.

Since Jehovah lives forever, he can take all factors into consideration and choose the best possible time to act.

My personal silly speculation is 2034, 120 years after 1914 because of this verse in Genesis.

Genesis 6:3
    3 after that Jehovah said: "My spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years."

Its just a joke, folks. Im not serious. But the WTS has been telling people that it is just around the corner. Now the WTS is setting the scene for it to be a long time in the future.

According to the WTS, Christians must stay busy in acts and deeds. Deeds = salvation.

We cannot change Jehovahs timetable. His day will come at his appointed hour.

Imagine you are waiting for the train. The station manager says the train will come at 19:14, then 19:25, then 19:75, and then 19:94. Whose timetable is faulty? Who has been trying to change Gods timetable?

But take heart.

The time from now until then will seem to pass much more quickly if we are busy in his service.

A regular study of Gods Word (translation: WTS publications) and regular association with our brothers at the meetings (all five, weekly) will help us to follow Pauls counsel and to keep our sense of urgency.

Yes, stay in a constant state of urgency. Sounds like holding your urine until you positively burst.

MILLIONS KEEP ON THE WATCH (MILLIONS WILL NEVER DIE, oh thats another story)

Yes, God is blessing us with an increase of 3.1% and over 6,300,000 gave proof of being spiritually alert by spending 1,202,381,302 hours (I wonder how many are true hours?) talking to others about Gods Kingdom.

This months magazine sermons themes in the Kingdom Manifesto from the WTS: Is there a personal God? Did God mean children to suffer malnutrition? How can we be happy but persecuted? Wouldnt you agree that despite lifes problems, we have reason to be thankful?

Do you see Gods kingdom mentioned? Notice how "Jehovah" is carefully avoided in the introductions.

To highlight the scourge of materialism, a life experience is given. Highlights are, "simplified their lives and entered the full-time pioneer ministry," "shared in the circuit and district work," "sacrificed material comfort," "self-sacrificing spirit."

A second is added for emphasis. "Serving as a ministerial servant. But I cannot tell the brothers to pioneer while I am not setting a good example myself. So I have left a well-paying job (no one ever leaves a crappy job it seems) and am not self-employed (window cleaning?)."

Another buzzword for materialism is "distractions" or "distracted."

A LESSON FROM LOT (DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH YOUR GROWN DAUGHTERS, whoops that is another story)

Even faithful servants of God can momentarily lose their sense of urgency. Think of Abrahams nephew Lot.

Kept lingering, angels had to drag him.

THE END of the article

Over the years the warning from the WTS has changed substantially. First it will end in 1914. 1914 comes and goes and it is adjusted to 1915. Eventually 1925, then 1975, then 1994. Always any time now. What can a person do that really wants to serve God? What does it matter when the end comes. Did Abraham think the fulfillment of the promise was coming in his lifetime?

Hebrews 11 (NIV)

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.

Next week, "Keep on the Watch," has such highlights from the WTS as "there are things that we do not yet know" and how false alarms about the day of Jehovah did not make the early Christians abandon the faith.

• minimus
    minimus

I LOVE BEING MATERIALISTIC!!! I make no apologies for living a good life with money and material possessions. I am very happy, thankyou! ....Since God keeps everyone from the Slave "so well informed", why does the information keep getting screwed up? Is it God's fault or could it be that the "slave" is not faithful and discreet? Maybe it's evil???

• jgnat
    jgnat

You beat me to it this week, Blondie. You must be feeling better.

A constant state of alertness as taught here is just plain unhealthy, let alone biblical. God created the first holiday, the Sabbath, as a time to rest and reflect on the good job He has done. (Genesis 2:1-3). What of the Year of Jubilee (Leviticus 25:10-22)? Has the FDS instituted an equivalent period of rest? (Matthew 11:28-30) When does a Witness have time to stop and ponder the direction his life is taking?

Device May Help Prevent "Falling Asleep at the Switch"

Bingo good for Mental Alertness!!

Managing Operational Fatigue

LAPSES IN ALERTNESS: COHERENCE OF FLUCTUATIONS IN PERFORMANCE AND EEG SPECTRUM

Countermeasures and Performance: Effects of Short Activity Breaks on Alertness and Performance

Lack of sleep will make you slow and slur your speech, but it will also improve your maths, your ability to sort items and your short term memory!

• blondie
    blondie

Hi minimus. Yes, be prepared to be hit with the materialism theme right up front. According to the WTS that could be the only reason the faithful no longer donate or attend meetings. They are spending their money on things doomed to destruction and spending more time working to pay for them. No widow's mite is acceptable any more. The WTS is going to squeeze blood out of that turnip.

Hi, jgnat. Yes, I was speedy. Of course, this article lacked any real content since it is the one with the statistics. The end is near, see how many we are, the end is near.

I will be posting the one for the 16th on Friday. I will not be near a computer for a few days having to have a few personal things attended to.

Are you thinking of Bullshit Bingo (TM)? I found out in next week's lesson that "they knew which night he was coming." I'm trying to figure out what application they are making of that to our time.

Blondie (the speedy one)

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"6

Accordingly then, let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us keep wide awake (alert, watchful, cautious, and on our guard) and let us be sober (calm, collected, and circumspect)."

Sounds like a recommendation for schizophrenia. Lets see, be paranoid, but calm.

Reading through this stuff, it clearly has so many elements of a cult pointed out by Hassan in "Combatting Cult Mind Control (pp 79-83)

-"Reality is black/white, good/evilsome groups cultivate a psychic paranoiathe doctrine allows no outside group to be recognized as valid (good, godly, real) because that would threaten the groups monopoly on the truth."

-"Elitist Mentality" Members are made to feel part of an elite corps of mankind." This felling of being very special, of participating in the most important acts in human historyis a strong emotional glue to keep people sacrificing and working hard."

-"Happiness through good performance"after a few months the cult member learns that love is not unconditional but depends on good performance.

-"Manipulation through fear and guilt"

-"Changes in time orientationan interesting dynamic of cults is that they tend to change a persons relationship to his past, present and futurea members past is rewritten. He tends to look back at his previous life with a distorted memory that colors everything dark. Even very positive memories are skewed toward the bad." (No, thats doesnt describe any witness "testimonials" does it???)

Theres lots more, but just a quick skim of the characteristics, sound like anyone we know??? Can we say C-U-L-T???

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Ah...apologies for the problems in punctuation (and typos) in the above post. I created the do in Word, and some of the punctuation didn't transfer when I posted it. No excuse for the typos!

• Banshee
    Banshee

Thank you blondie and jgnat for your comments on the WT Study Article for next Sunday. I like to keep up on what my mom is hearing at the weekly indoctrination sessions. So thanks to you both for your weekly comments/discussion. Bullsh*t bingo at KH would be great fun, eh? LOL

Blacksheep: Good deal on reminding us about the conflicting messages the WBTS/GB is constantly sending to the rank and file JWs. Combatting Cult Mind Control is a great book! Wish I could get my JW relatives to read it!

• archangel01
    archangel01

How is given money away(Donations) make any sense if the end is so close

How I'm I to keep on the watch if the WTS keeps getting in my way

If you want something done do it yourself...hey it worked for JESUS

I think I'm pretty smart to keep on the watch ON MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean Its not like we don't know what is going to happen we all know the bible for the most part (I hope)

Its not like your going to be in the city streets or on top of a tall building when it happens..we all saw the movie Independents Day ( I hope)

Just watch the news and follow the bible on what Jesus taught and stay away from the big citys and places you know you shouldn't be at like stripeclubs, gambling boats, sincity, .....Kingdom Halls ( False Religion) etc etc. I believe the Bible is the truth but that all religion is false. Just stay on your feet ,pray, and take cover and watch the sparks/Bombs fly

Hey Blondie if you ever need watchtower/Awake mags etc. just let me know by emailing me

Edited by - archangel01 on 5 February 2003 19:17:43

• blondie
    blondie

blacksheep

Reality is black/white, good/evilsome groups cultivate a psychic paranoiathe doctrine allows no outside group to be recognized as valid (good, godly, real) because that would threaten the groups monopoly on the truth."

A DO at the recent circuit assembly said, "The more the gray areas, the less the gray matter." So we know he is a black and white type of guy.

Banshee

Bullsh*t bingo at KH would be great fun, eh ?

Just don't forget and yell out Bingo! at the KH.

Archangel01,

I think I'm pretty smart to keep on the watch ON MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some interesting articles by ex-JWs about whether we need an organization or not.

http://www.brci.org/Publications/Publications.html

I'll keep that offer about mags in mind. Will I be a return visit?

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some more notes on this same study

p. 6 When Jerusalem finally fell, about one seventh of all Jews in the Roman Empire perished. The destruction of Jerusalem and its temple meant the end of the Jewish state and its religious system based on the Mosaic law. Mark 13:1,2.

Hmmm. The Jewish State has again renewed itself in our generation. Vines are growing in the desert. It would be apparent that Jehovah has forgiven them yet again. Could this be a fulfillment of prophecy? Not according to the WTS; they are supposedly the replacement as spiritual Isreal. Good thing they are so humble about it. Physical Isreal might be a little upset. I wonder if they noticed that the JW's have absconded their title?

p. 10 Peter helps his readers to cultivate patience by reminding them why God often does not act immediately...

I am confused. Readers are told that the time is short, stay alert, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER. Now the article says hurry up and wait?

p. 12 If we stay awake, Jehovah will fund us "spotless and unblemished and in peace" at the end of this system of things (2 Peter 3:14,15) What a blessing that will be!

Can you read the coded message here? What is left unsaid is what happens to anyone who did not stay awake at the last assembly, or who has a blemish on their time card, or a blemish with his elders. Or the poor sod who is told every week at the KH he should have peace, but he doesn't feel it yet. Did Jesus mean for us to be in fear of our salvation minute by minute?

p. 14 ...3.1-percent increase over 2001- gave evidence of being spiritually alert by spending 1,202,381,302 hours talking to others about God's Kingdom

...why is numerical evidence required? (Matthew 7:15-20, Galatians 5:22)

p. 15, 16 Several countries that experienced numerical increase are held up as examples of

self-sacrificing spirit . Uh. Oh. Canada baaaaad. No self-sacrificing spirit here, I guess.

p. 17 A zealous 16-year-old witness is held up as an example for all. After presenting some videos to her classmates

, the following week the students were given a test which all the questions dealt with the Christian religion of Jehovahs Witnesses . Yup. I bet that made her real popular with her classmates. Yup.

p. 21 Lot and Noah

illustrate the importance of taking warnings seriously . Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? What about false alarms? Does the WT really expect everybody in the World to continue to take them seriously after they have gotten it wrong again and again? Probably not. They have a nice, steady growth consisting of the gullible and second-generation kids. Why rock the boat?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit