I need help breaking a habit-----------

by Jesika 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesika
    Jesika

I have had this habit since I was 4. I stopped for a while, and honestly don't know why I quit for a while but I did.

It is bitting my nails. I have it bad. I bite them when there is nothing else to bite, and then start chewing on the back of all my nuckles. Gross I know, but I do it without even thinking about it.

I have tried to stop, but don't notice it untill someone says something or I start bleeding.

Anyone have some suggestions??

Jesika

• nelly1
    nelly1

hi jesika, I think that nail biting is associated with bad nerves, i think maybe some herbal nervaids or somehting might help you, I think with all you have been through it would be understandable.

i know i used to bite my nails when i was young too.

try to do something to calm your nerves a bit that might help you.

love nelly

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Jes,

You have my sympathy, I used to also be a nail-biter and so did Mrs Ozzie. We have both now been free of the habit for many years, thank goodness, but I can recall the times well.

As a suggestion, how about going to a manicurist and having false nails put on? Nicely painted too! Then as you bring finger to mouth, you'll be reminded. Nail-biting's often a subconscious thing isn't it? So having a reminder there may help. Plus you'll have beautiful hands.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I used to have the same problem. I tried everything but couldn't stop. So what I did was to come up with a replacement habit that is a little more acceptable. I bought a pair of cuticle clippers and whenver I feel the urge (I even have a pair at work) I just the clippers to cut and clip. It was tough switching at first, but it didn't take long and now my fingers aren't chewed up and bloody. I realized that my habit stemmed from a need to keep my hands busy, and so I just chose something that wasn't quite so hard on my fingers. Now I also use an emory board on my cuticles to try to keep from using the clippers so much.

It's not the best solution but it works for me.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Ozzie,

I have done that before, but since I don't have a job and can't keep the nails upkeep, it only makes it worse when they start growing off. I pull them off and start bitting again.

Tex----I do that too, but that is only when I can't reach what I am chewing on. I am just as bad with nippers as I am when I bite them. I can dig even better with the nippers than I can with my teeth.

This is why I am asking for suggestions. I have tried fake nails and only clipping and file-ing.

*biting as we speak*

Jesika

• logansrun
    logansrun

Jesika,

You might try a little self-behavior therapy: For a while, wear a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you catch yourself biting your nails.....SNAP!....the rubberband (as hard as you can bear). This might sound a little perverse, but a lot of people do things like this to break little habits like yours.

Bradley

• Auntie Flame
    Auntie Flame

Try thinking about those microscopic worm eggs and larvae that are hiding under those oft bitten nails, Jesika.

Auntie Flame

• Valis
    Valis

Jes...a couple options...go get your hair did and yer nails done..throw in a pedi while you're at it.....you might not be so willing to chew fake nails and polish off..*LOL* but then again...eheheh ...or just chop off the old finger tips and viola! no more chewing nails......brings an entirely different meaning to the term "lay fingers"..eheh

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Jesika the only thing that helped me was fake nails. If that doesn't work I have no idea. I have seen some anti bite stuff at the drug store you can paint on there I personally never tried it but heard it works.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I have two options for you...

1. find the nastiest tasting nail polish out there, and wear it diligently

if that doesn't work

2. cayenne pepper drops on your finger tips might just do the trick
    (just don't itch anything, esp your eye ;))

the rubber band thing might work, but it'd be more fun if somone else was snapping it

Ven

Edited by - VeniceIT on 4 February 2003 18:34:3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit