Was HW Armstrong a JW?

by jazbug 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jazbug
    jazbug

This question was asked in a previous post. I wrote to the Worldwide Church of God website and the answer is posted below:

Greetings Mary, Thank you for your message. Herbert Armstrong was not affiliated with the Jehovah's Witnesses. However, during the years when Armstrong formed his theological ideas, he came into contact with various religious groups and their writings and teachings. These included Jehovahs Witnesses, Seventh-Day Adventists, the Church of God (Seventh Day), the Seventh-Day Baptists, Pentecostals as well as evangelical Protestant groups and individuals. For example, he studiously read and admired the works of Charles Finney, the influential nineteenth-century American evangelist. Armstrong and his wife attended various churches. I hope this answers your question. Your interest is appreciated. Paul Kroll Personal Correspondence So there it is...from the horse's mouth so to speak.

• Realist
    Realist

who is herbert armstrong?

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.coglinks.org/hwawcg.html HWA's Writings And Other Old WCG Works

• Brummie
    Brummie

When I was a JW I was told by a fellow JW that Herbert A was a JW at some point. However I later discovered that he wasnt, he had been more affiliated with the 7th Day Adventists. In any way his Worldwide Church Of God now holds no similarities to either group since it has rejected almost all of his teachings and now ranks itself along side most evangelical mainstream churches. It adapts more of Christemdoms doctrines than HA's. He would no doubt turn in his grave if he knew.

Brummie

• Matty
    Matty

It came from a Worldwide Church of God spokesperson, so it must be true!

• blondie
    blondie

Growing up I heard the HWG was sued successfully by the WTS for plagiarizing the WT. Is that true?

Blondie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    He would no doubt turn in his grave if he knew.

One time while the WCG was in the middle of its doctrinal changes, there was an earthquake near Pasadena, where the church is headquartered. Garner Ted Armstrong (Herbert's son, who still has a church in Texas) remarked that the earthquake might have been caused by his father spinning in his grave.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Brummie,

You're correct. One of the doctrines that HWA rejected was the deity of Christ. Now, it is accepted by the Worldwide Church of God.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Blondie,

I really doubt the WTS ever sued Armstrong. I had discussions with Harry Peloyan of the WTS Writing Dept. about Armstrong. That was about 20 years ago. He told me about Armstrong's background, but he never mentioned any problems the WTS had with him. He did say, however, that he thought it interesting that both the WTS magazines and the Plain Truth often ran neck-to-neck with each other on topics. He knew it wasn't true, but he said anyone who didn't know better would swear that the same writing staff wrote for both denominations. Sometimes the WT publications would treat a topic, and the next month the Plain Truth would deal with it. At other times, the Plain Truth touched on the topic first.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks Frank for the inside view. My mother brought it up in the early 60's. I can see why now but that there was no legal basis. It's amazing how these stories get started. I have read the new version of the Plain Truth but they are too much into the US and UK being God's nations.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit