Is the GB and FDS the same thing?

by William Penwell 25 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I might have not been clear in my original post. My understanding is that there is some on the governing body that is not of the 144,000. I was wondering if this is the way that the WT is slowly backing off of the whole FDS class as running this publishing company?

Will

• somebody
    somebody

I've read it explained by the WTS that the Governing Body are made up of men ( 12 maybe? I don't remember how many men are on the GB)who are anointed who REPRESENT the Faithful and Discreet slave as a whole. It was also worded as follows: " The Faithful and Discreet slave and it's Governing Body"

I'll see if i can find the references and post them here.

peace,

gwen

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

So what happens when all the FDS have died off? What excuse will the GB come up with then? I just think the WT is conditioning the memberships mind to accept them when it comes to the time when there is no more FDS alive. Put that in with more "New Light".

Will

• ISP
    ISP

I thought the GB, as was, resigned and a myriad of corporations were formed. The FDS doctrine will be new lighted soon.

ISP

• simwitness
    simwitness
    The Faithful and Discreet slave and it's Governing Body

I always thought the point of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" was that he/she did not NEED GOVERNING! He did what he was supposed to do, period. I also don't remember anyhting in the parable that says that the slave had a checklist or set of rules to follow.

After all, when the master returned, he found that everything was as it should be, and then appointed the slave over all the belongings (which is kinda strange, if you think about it, since apparently while the master was gone, the slave was, in affect, master over all the belongings...)

Edited to add: If you took a survey of who the FD&S were, it would be in favor of the Governing Body/headquarters/writers of the materials. The "Rank and File" would never suggest they were part of that class, unless they were part of the "annointed". I am pretty sure taht other than those that get fed at the memorial, the annointed in the congregations are not looked at in any special way.

Edited by - simwitness on 4 February 2003 14:12:17

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The FDS (faithful and discrete slave) was originally viewed as Charles Russell:

"Thousands of the readers of Pastor Russell's writings believe that he filled the office of "that faithful and wise servant," and that his great work was giving to the Household of Faith meat in due season. His modesty and humility precluded him from openly claiming this title, but he admitted as much in private conversation ." (Watchtower 12/1/1919, page 357)

It was Russells wife who originally suggested it was him because the scripture refers to a singular "slave", not plural. Up until Feb of 1927, the Watchtower repeatedly referred to Russell as the FDS.

We believe that all who are now rejoicing in present truth will concede that Brother Russell faithfully filled the office of special servant of the Lord; and that he was made ruler over all the Lord's goods ... Often when asked by other, Who is that faithful and wise serving?-- Brother Russell would reply: "Some say I am; while others say the Society is." Both statements were true; for Brother Russell was in fact the society in a most absolute sense, in this, that he directed the policy and course of the Society without regard to any other person on earth ." (WT, 1 Mar. 1923, 68)

Here Russell is the FDS, and the organization is "the lord's goods".

After Ruthorford took office he realized that he could not fully control the organization if everyone saw Russell as the FDS. His solution to this was to write an article stating the FDS was a class of people "made up of those whom he finds faithful at the time he comes to his temple". (WT Feb. 15, 1927). Therefore, he was saying that all of Jehovah's Witnesses were the FDS.

It is interesting that he says that it is when Jesus "comes to his temple", because that would have had to be 1918, or shortly after 1914 when, as currently taught by Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus' presence began.

It was in 1943 when they changed the FDS from all of Jehovah's Witnesses to the "faithful remnant" (WT, 1 July 1943, 203)

It was in 1981 that the FDS was change to the "organization". (WT. 15 Feb. 1981, 19)

And finally it was in 1992 that the FDS became the Governing Body. (WT. May 1, 1992)

Edited by - Elsewhere on 4 February 2003 14:17:46

• Auntie Flame
    Auntie Flame

uhm.....I thought GB stands for Governing Borganizers and FDS is a Feminine Deodorant Spray..

Auntie Flame

• somebody
    somebody

Here is the latest i could find on the way the Faithful and Discreet/GB describe itself and the control over JWs it has given itself:

7/15/96 Watchtower

We need to submit to God's will and show deep respect for 'the faithful slave' and the Governing Body.

3/15/98 WT

8 The Bible clearly shows that true Christians do not serve God under coercion. It says: "Jehovah is the Spirit; and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17) But how can this fact be harmonized with the idea of a "faithful and discreet slave" with its Governing Body?-Matthew 24:45-47.
    9 To answer this question, we must keep in mind the Scriptural principle of headship. (1 Corinthians 11:3) At Ephesians 5:21-24, Christ is identified as "head of the congregation," the one to whom it is "in subjection." Jehovah's Witnesses understand that the faithful and discreet slave is made up of Jesus' spiritual brothers. (Hebrews 2:10-13)
    This faithful slave class has been appointed to provide God's people with spiritual "food at the proper time."
    the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is composed of ten anointed Christians, all with decades of Christian experience behind them. They offer spiritual direction to Jehovah's Witnesses, as did the first-century governing body.
    The program of Bible education provided by the Governing Body might be compared to a school curriculum outlined by a board of education. Although the board is itself not the source of the material being taught, it does set up the curriculum, determine the method of instruction, and issue necessary directives. If anyone flagrantly refuses to live according to the requirements of the institution, creates difficulties for fellow students, or brings disgrace upon the school, he can be expelled. The school authorities have the right to act for the benefit of the students as a whole.

Of course I have to add that there is no such thing, scriptually, as a " first-century governing body" and it never mentioned in the Bible at all.

I conclude that the GB and the Faithful and Discreet slave are a twinity in the sence that they are one in the same. Consider the fact that NO ANOINTED that sit in congregations worldwide have anything at all to do with anything the WT publishes. They DO NOT disperse ANY SPIRITUAL FOOD. I tend to doubt that any of the GB members write any of the "food" published either. GB is just a title/badge they wear. I come to that conclusion from reading the words I just did above.." although they are not the source of the material being taught". But they do they make all the rules.

peace,

gwen

• somebody
    somebody

Back to add , because I just read your clarification, William.(better late than never.....sorry for missing it)

As far as i know, presently, all the GB members are of the 144,000. I do think that will change in the future though. I see that the same way you do on that. but i haven't read anything to say that any GB members are not anointed yet.

peace,

gwen

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

According to Ray Franz, before 1972 all the puplcation were writen by Knorr and Franz (Fred). Although they did change that in the 70's, the books are still written by a handful of men that sit on the GB. I mean when was the last time you heard of the WT writting to some 80 year old grandma for her input?

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit