You could be a 'normal' person if...

by lauralisa 15 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

I was going to add some thoughts to another thread, but it is now locked. It took a long time to gather my nerve up to post a new topic, and I'll probably regret it, but I couldn't feel any crappier than I do today, (well, yes I could) so, whatever.

Perhaps the following - taken from a book I've read a million times - will be of help to someone... yeah, it's another stupid trauma analysis ... however, if you've ever been a Jehovah's witness, you have been traumatized, and no doubt must contend dearly with at least some afteraffects. In the spirit of compassion and empathy only I am posting this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    From: Trauma and Recovery, Judith Lewis Herman, MD, Assoc. Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard medical School

Traumatic events call into question basic human relationships. They breach the attachments of family, friendship, love, and community. They shatter the construction of the self that is formed and sustained in relation to others. They undermine the belief systems that give meaning to human experience. They violate the victim's faith in a natural or divine order and cast the victim into a state of existential crisis.

Traumatic events have primary effects not only on the psychological structures of the self but also on the systems of attachment and meaning that link individual and community. Traumatic events can destroy the victim's fundamental assumptions about the safety of the world, the positive value of the self, and the meaningful order of creation.

..... Traumatized people feel abandoned, utterly alone, cast out of the human and divine systems of care and protection that sustain life. Thereafter, a sense of alienation, of disconnection, pervades every relationship, from the most intimate familial bonds to the most abstract affiliations of community and religion.

The belief in a meaningful world is formed in relation to others and begins in earliest life. More abstract questions..... the order of the world, the individual's place in the community, the human place in the natural order are normal preoccupations of adolescence and adult development. Resolution of these questions of meaning requires the engagement of the individual with the wider community. Traumatic events, once again, shatter the sense of connection between individual and community, creating a crisis of faith in (INSERT JUST ABOUT ANYTHING YOU VALUED AND LOST HERE). The damage to the survivor's faith and sense of community is particularly severe when the traumatic events themselves involve the betrayal of important relationships.

A war veteran's experience: Rescued at sea after his ship was sunk, the veteran became most upset when revealing how he felt let down by his OWN SIDE.... they had been in the water for 12 hours when a torpedo boat destroyer picked them up. Of course, the officers in the lifeboats were taken up first. The 8 or 9 other men, clinging to a raft, had to wait in the water for 6 hours later until help came. Some of these men drowned as they awaited rescue. The rescuers' disregard for the men's lives was more traumatic for him than were the enemy attack, the physical pain of submersion in freezing water, the terror of death, and the loss of the other men who shared his ordeal. The indifference of the rescuers destroyed his faith in his community.

In the aftermath of the event, the survivor exhibited not only classic PTSD symptoms but also evidence of pathological grief, disrupted relationships, and chronic depression. He had, in fact, a profound reaction to violence of any kind and could not see others being hurt, threatened, or injured.... However, he claimed that he felt like striking people suddenly and had become very disruptive to his own family. He remarked: "I wish I were dead; I make everybody around me suffer..."

The contradictory nature of this man's relationships is common to traumatized people. Because of their difficulty in modulating intense anger, survivors oscillate between uncontrolled expressions of rage and intolerance of aggression in any form..... His own inconsistency was one of the sources of his own torment.

Similar oscillations occur in the regulation of intimacy. Trauma impels people both to withdraw from close relationships, and to seek them desperately. The traumatized person therefore alternates between isolation, and internal self-loathing for needing others. Their capacity for intimacy is compromised by intense and contradictory feelings of need and fear.

More than a few topics posted in this forum have to do with the question of "why do I/we/they" come here? Sometimes people - especially those who've been betrayed by their most important family members, their life-long friends, even their god - find themselves so alone in the world that the 'safest' place they can find is this message board, graciously provided by a couple who should be given a mother Theresa award someday. Our pain, and our struggle to heal from it, drives us, sometimes drives us crazy.... I find it amazing how soothing a kind word can be here, how vulnerable some people will allow themselves be here, how much courage it takes to risk asking for help here, and how much this "community" can do and has done to repair damaged lives... of course, one must "duck" and try not to get splattered on occasion, but sometimes it's worth it.

Right now my cell phone is in the fish tank, and my lost inner-drama queen is talking to a million drunken strangers, but I can remember my piano, and hold close to my heart some of the most caring gestures I've ever experienced in my life, received from people who don't know me from nothing..........................

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

All I could say is THANK YOU and BRAVO!!!

Bless you,

LD

• Francois
    Francois

Without a shadow of a doubt, absent even a hint of hesitation, I must say that your post is the most meaningful I have ever seen in my two years and more on this site. It is the only one that has moved me to tears as I gradually came to recognize myself in the words and in the dynamics described in your post. And I have recognized the actions and the behaviors of others here, and elsewhere, in them as well. Carefully read, your post can provide a wealth of self-understanding for the thousands of people who come here, many of whom who do so absent any real knowledge whatsoever of why they do so.

It is patent that we as sentient, spirit-indwelt children of God were never meant to experience the types and the durations of stress and trauma that we do indeed experience in our lives on this planet. That so much stress and trauma could be sponsored by a single organization that claims to have the "truth" about the loving Father of us all is beyond comprehension. And it is evil beyond belief.

There seems to be so much I would like to add here, but I am at a loss to disentangle that which I want to say from that which I know I shouldn't. I do know that I feel validated by what I have read in your post; that there are reasons for what I have felt as I have stumbled through this life; that I have been more than justified on the many, many occasions in which I have withdrawn from human society and for long periods engaged myself in the company of only myself, attempting to determine why I have felt so intensely hurt by transactions that should not have, by their size, done so much damage.

It's a wonder that I persist in living at all.

I will keep an eye out for more posts of this nature from you. Thank you.

francois

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

((((( Laura )))))

Truly, if not for your insight I might still be a JW. Even when we were active JWs, you pacified my conscience with words and actions of genuine compassion instead of regurgitating the WTBTS poisonous lies.

You are a wonderful woman...never ordinary (despite trying, I dont think either of us are capable of conformation ), never understood, never free of the hunt for a peaceful moment...but I love you and so do many others because of your gentle rebellion against that pervasive critical voice that lingers in the air and makes us feel like we are not good enough.

One day well silence it, and dangle in its place like drunken little fireflies with nowhere to go on a Saturday night. *Hugs That Say "I'm Going To Lay Down The Boundaries For A Bit To Show You How Much You Rock!"*

Edited by - OrbitingTheSun on 3 February 2003 18:5:31

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

YES! YES! YES! This is so true.

It helps to see this in writing, when you already know the reality of living thru it, it makes all the sense in the world.

I have struggled with this for years.

I really get sick of bringing up my past all the time, ( I bet others are sick of it too LOL), but there is so much crap to wade thru to finally get to the other side. I might not live long enough to get to the other side, the side of peace of mind , acceptance and forgiveness, but I am trying.

I just started realizing at the age of 35 that I was an emotionally, sometimes physically, abused little girl. Neglected by a mother who had so many issues herself and a drug problem. My dad was only happy with me if I was near perfect by his own standards, which I knew I never really met. Then trying to understand why my mother decided to leave me again, one last final time by killing herself, and dad just didnt love me anymore one day it seemed, My whole self image was reflected by what I saw in their eyes, then by the WT as I grew up. I never learned how to grow up and trust myself, please myself, or love myself. This is all new to me, and it is scarey.

I find that I make friends and like you said in the post above, I crave them, but then I withdraw and I can even see it, why I don't know. I guess I am afraid to get close to people because I think they will be disappointed in me or die. Sometimes it seems hiding is easier, but not healthier.

Great post and gives us all something to think about, for ourselves and our fellow apostates who are also healing, hurting and getting on with life the best way we all can.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Lost Diamond,

It's nice to "meet you".... thank you sincerely for your kindness.

Francois,

That so much stress and trauma could be sponsored by a single organization that claims to have the "truth" about the loving Father of us all is beyond comprehension. And it is evil beyond belief.

I could not agree with you more. I've been studying 'trauma' issues for decades, and have met many people who have been in dreadfully dire straits as they try to make sense of and/or repair their lives. Religious cults are well represented among perpetrators of trauma, but no single religious entity has achieved more success in routinely and systematically dehumanizing their adherents than the WTBTS... - doing so with the protection of just about every legislative authority there is out there...

Think about a judicial committee meeting: Methods of establishing control over another person are based upon the systematic, repetitive infliction of psychological trauma. They are the organized techniques of disempowerment and disconnection. Methods of psychological control are designed to instill terror and helplessness and to destroy the victim's sense of self in relation to others....The threat of death (d/fing) or serious harm (losing one's entire family) is often enough to keep the victim in a state of constant fear... Fear is also increased by inconsistent and predictible {conflicts} and by capricious enforcements of petty rules......... ------>The goal of the perpetrator is to instill in his victim not only fear of death, but also gratitude for being allowed to live..........

How many times have terrified people, whose hopes for eternal life as well as immediate future is at stake, waited "outside"... waiting to find out if their loved ones will be able to even TALK to them again after that night.... or if they will be "dead" spiritually, if the glorious ones see fit to cut them off? Not a few people have found themselves in this position - even though they have made every effort conceiveable to live within the confines of the organization's capricious ever-mutating requirements? It is beyond sickening.... it is pure evil.

We all puke when we read of stories describing crack mothers selling their newborns for a $10 hit of whatever, but... how many mothers in the jw community are so thoroughly cowed that they fail to intervene when they see their own children being violated and mistreated... some not only suppress their own inner doubts and objections, but cajole and badger their children into compliance or punish them for protesting.....

I've pretty much decided at this point to be and 'open' agnostic, but the more time that passes after getting out of the borg mindset, the more convinced I am that satan is alive and well... and living in Brooklyn

You must persist in living. Living well is the best revenge. Each day we will know more about what that means.... (I don't, yet, but I will someday, dammit) Thank you for reading this post, and for your very much needed and appreciated kindness. (As for "posts of this type".....I guess you won't read my fluff stuff, then, only the way-too-unwieldy for words whatever wordy ones....? lolol)

Orbiting the Sunola...... Since the day I met you, you have been a source of hope, joy and you incite me to moments of great awe. YOU, my sister, are the one who rocks. And what's with this 'boundaries' shit? As if! LOLOLOLOL my only boundaries with you are you can't wear my husband's socks.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Lauralisa,

Thanks for posting that. That sums up all the intense feelings that I have experienced for a year. Leaving the Watchtower often leaves us with a shattered faith, a shattered identity, shattered families and shattered emotions. It seems that we are all suffering from a form of post traumatic stress disorder.

Think about a judicial committee meeting: Methods of establishing control over another person are based upon the systematic, repetitive infliction of psychological trauma. They are the organized techniques of disempowerment and disconnection. Methods of psychological control are designed to instill terror and helplessness and to destroy the victim's sense of self in relation to others....The threat of death (d/fing) or serious harm (losing one's entire family) is often enough to keep the victim in a state of constant fear... Fear is also increased by inconsistent and predictible {conflicts} and by capricious enforcements of petty rules......... ------>The goal of the perpetrator is to instill in his victim not only fear of death, but also gratitude for being allowed to live..........

This is exactly how the WT operates. They set up a system of severe psychological abuse. It is shocking to see how much we were under mind control by the WT. Leaving them, the WT says, will mean our eternal death and rejection by God. The WT is the very epitome of evil.

Mr. Shakita

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

lauralisa,

I think I love you.

I've been out of the cult less than a year and I see so much of myself in your post, the anger, depression, confusion, alternating between extreme neediness and extreme anti-socialness, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if I (and the rest of the world) am going to make it. I see the smiling, well adjusted people I work with and I feel like there is a chasm as wide and deep as can be imagined between them and I.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Lyin,

Thank you for responding. Each time I meet someone (virtually or otherwise) who understands what I'm talking about, even when it feels like I'm just stammering and sounding like some freak walking black hole of emotional need, it mends things up, little by little. Surviving the suicide of a mother is almost an incomprehensible loss... and it sounds as tho you've experienced the loss of BOTH of your parents. My heart goes out to you.

My boss has this dog that suffered brain damage from the anesthesia he received while he was being "altered".... he's a complete pain in the butt.... and a lot of work to be around. She LOVES him, however, and protects and cares for him. People who are hurting need a lot of help. It's way beyond difficult - at least for me - to ask for help... but without it, I'll surely die. It's a very difficult road to walk, this "needing" thing... but for every 900 jerk-wads, there is one diamond-friend who proves it is worth it to risk asking....

Risking sucks

Ashi - such a long way you have come... thank you for writing

Dan, you always make me smile.... and those people at work? They are actors. The first year is hideous. Your ability to feel your pain is a good thing... when it all goes numb, that's when you should get scared. I'll read anything you write, and I'll care how you feel, for whatever that is worth... you big sweetie.

• not interested
    not interested

hey laura,

just wanted to say hi, i havent talked to ya for a while and i blame myself for that but i miss ya, and hope your doing well, we realy should have a beer soon.

take care

NI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit