Last Days? Are you serious ....?

by Aleph 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• done4good
    done4good

Hmmm....Do these sound ideal to you?

1. Would you rather die from Bubonic plague, (insert any thousands of diseases here), ?

2. Plant, cultivate, pick crops, churn butter, and shit in an outhouse every day, (by the way, this is your kids life also)?

3. Live in a 2 class system of extremely rich aristocracy and extremely poor? Which do you think you might be?

4. Have little to no access to information, music and other forms of art, books, etc.? (Did I mention most of the fucking world was illiterate until the invention of the printing press?)

5. Exist in a world full of Xenophobic, homophobic, religionists whose world is dominated by myth?

6. See the last point concerning those that believe in "end times"...

d4g

• skin
    skin
    "Before 1914 this world was a rosie lovely place to live in, after that date its been going downhill fast". That was an answer from one person in our WT study last week.
  • pepperheart
    pepperheart
    The last days yes THE LAST DAYS OF THE BORG i got foutr teaching books from the trolley today all printed in 2006,I travel a lot for work and in 3 big citys all the trolleys had got old books on and from next year the magazines will be printed bimonthly.I went on a pro jw site a few days ago and every picture that had got a trolley in from all the world had got old teaching books.Steven lett might have been right when he said they had got more money going out than coming in.He might have ment fresh money coming in ie donations rather than just property.Once you start spending your savings you have to be really careful.Once you have sold a house and spent the money the money is gone forever and once the borg have sold the property and spent all that money then they are not rich any more and of course they have to think ahead for the next 10 or 20 years.If the GB thought it was the last days they wouldnt have sent people home from bethel to do a wordly job
  • Malachi Constant
    Malachi Constant
    This world is now not only much better for us to live in than just before 1975, it is also much more stable, thanks to global connectedness. It is better to build life for yourself and for your children in this "old system of things", insted of the "new" one that also by looking at the "signs of times" clearly is escaping from us faster than ever.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

When the Society needs to pump up the members they'll start to throw out phrases like:

"Will this Memorial be our last?" - KM 3/14/14

"We are living in that season, the last days." - Watchtower 2014 1/15

"....we have before our very eyes this series of happenings of world-shaking magnitude, testifying that we are living in the last days!" - Watchtower 1950 2/1

"The last days of this wicked, abominable world are upon us, and we shall see the final end during this generation." - Watchtower 1950 3/15

These are just some "gems" that I was able to dig up.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Another 21 "last days" have passed since this thread started. So that would be 3 "last weeks" and almost 1 "last month" that have passed.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 21 days puts that in the "false prophecy" category.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fear mongering false unscriptural doctrines has worked for the most part the Watchtower Corporation, it has sold millions of pieces of literature based on this premise that mankind is living in the last days.

Well when you want to attract attention to the literature you produce, you gotten use whats tangible.

Exploiting the existing belief in the bible writings has also proven advantageous.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Every generation thinks things are worse than they have ever been, that it couldn't get much worse, so we must be living in the last days and the end of the world must be soon. Various groups have thought the same at various points in history. Charlie Russel thought the same, he believed he was living in the last days and Christ was surely to return soon, bringing the end of the world in 1914. It was only when that didn't happen they decided that Christ had returned invisibly and they determined the end times had just started.

I was around when they believed Armageddon was going to come in 1975, that the generation alive in 1914 would not pass away before the end. People then also thought every negative news event signaled the end, the Vietnam war, the cold war, earthquakes. Everything confirmed their belief that it couldn't go on much longer. 1975 came and went and the Watchtower tried to pretend they hadn't led everyone to think it was going to be end of the world. Forty years later and they are still beating the same drum, they have redefined the meaning of the word generation, as if it means something different now. They learned nothing from their failed prophecies and still claim special knowledge of the end, despite the bible clearly stating that no man knows the day or the hour.

So what makes you think a terrorist attack that killed 127 people means the end? As horrific as it is, hardly compares to things that have happened in the past, the crusades, the bubonic plague, WWI and WWII, the Spanish influenza, the mass killing of six million Jews, the mass killing of people in Cambodia.

Don't get me wrong, mankind faces many challenges, but since God hasn't seen fit to step in before now, why would he at this point? What is so special and different about things right now that it means the end of the world?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Before 1914 this world was a rosie lovely place to live in, after that date its been going downhill fast."

* facepalm *

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Finkelstein - "...false unscriptural doctrines..."

Actually, I'd argue that the WTS's teachings are (sorta) "scriptural"...

x

...which has the effect of kinda turning me off "scripture".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit