Would you ban the Witnesses?

by Joker10 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

No! Don't ban the JWs. Someone has to serve as a bad religious example and it may as well be them. Besides....what would we all have to talk about????

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Nope....ban them, and the deluded fools would be convinced that Satan is trying to get to them.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Okay - let me restate my opinion.

I think that ALL religions are a 'business', and should be taxed. There. This would include the JW organization.

Religion should not be able to hide under an IRS 501C-3 classification.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jelly
    jelly

I would not ban them; really, I do not see a reason. I think witnesses are off but so are a lot of groups and once you start the censorship ball rolling its hard to tell where it will stop.

What I would do is:

1. Tax them at the same rate as other businesses and religions
    2. Not allow them to refuse medical service for minors
  • Debz
    Debz

Not a ban...but perhaps a watchdog association, keep them honest.......and identify potential `cover-ups` so that they become transparent.....

edited - wrong wording

Edited by - Debz on 3 February 2003 3:38:11

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Never!!! If we start banning one religion, then what is next. Never get the false impression that Witnesses are the most harmful religion out there. They are just the one we know the most about, on a personal level. Religious freedom is a two-edge sword.

Edited by - whyhideit on 3 February 2003 3:45:4

• greven
    greven

I think we have a general agreement eh?

Tax them like others. hold them accountable for bad advice. but never ever ban them. educate the people. open a state informcenter on the web about every religion and rpovide links to sites pro and contra these religions so people can make an informed choice.

Greven.

• abbagail
    abbagail

LOL @ Warrigal who asked "What else would we have to talk about?" (if the JWs were banned).

Someone else suggested a "watchdog organization" keeping an eye on them. I think we have that already: this JWD site AND the other xJW sites (WT Information Services, etc.) do a pretty good job of playing "watchdog," imho!

I personally like the "Religious Malpractice" idea. It's a far-fetched dream, but if religions had to pay "religious malpractice insurance" the way doctors have to fork out "medical malpractice insurance," then the WT would be high-tailing it out of town in a hurry. That's what has happened to the doctors, especially in certain states and areas. They are literally shutting down their practices altogether and/or moving to other states because the high price of medical malpractice insurance is putting them out of business. I see it mentioned frequently enough on the news here in the sunshine state.

• greven
    greven

I think we have a general agreement eh?

Tax them like others. hold them accountable for bad advice. but never ever ban them. educate the people. open a state informcenter on the web about every religion and rpovide links to sites pro and contra these religions so people can make an informed choice.

Greven.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The key is to educate the public so people can make an informed choice, this would consequently lead to the demise of the WT, Who of us would have become JWs if we were informed beforehand?

Yes, but how? Most dubs have a mental block when it comes to properly informing them of the truth about "The Troof".

Perhaps this is behind the "banning" of the WTS that some governments carry out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit