A Reason to Return to Sunday Meetings

by dobby 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• dobby
    dobby

My hubby and I ran into a sister from the congregation we stopped attending a year ago. We were trying to run into a store out of the cold, our son in tow. That didn't stop her. She jogged along side of us and managed to "encourage" us to come back to the meetings.

She is one of those people that seem very warm and genuine, although she is a very devoted witness - pioneer and all. She's the type I feel kind of sorry for, and I try not to be rude.

However I thought this was soo funny she goes "I miss you guys, I really wish you would come back. We've had a lot of changes in the congregation recently. Actually, our Sunday meeting is now at 6pm. So if that makes it any easier for you guys you should really come back to the Sunday meeting."

We thanked her and hurried on, but I was cracking up. Like a Sunday night meeting at 6pm with a small child is sooo easy. Come on when do you eat dinner? How do you get your kid to wind down and go to sleep at a decent time before starting a new week of school? And who wants to get dressed up on a Sunday night after bummin' all day and go out in the cold?

Man, the sad thing is there was a time in my life when I would have dragged my ass to that very meeting. AND I would have probably gone out in service the same Sunday morning. I shudder to think of the way I used to compromise my physical and mental health by pushing myself for the organization. If I only had a dime for every time...well you get the picture.

My Sundays are so different now. Leisurely pancake and bluegrass mornings. Cut lawns and porch swings. Newspapers or a matinee. Piano scales and chasing my son in his superman cape. A soak in the tub. A conversation with a friend. Parks and museums. Life. Rejuvenation. A day of rest. A day of gratitude and blessing. Sunday, the way its meant to be.

So to all on the board, I wish you a glorious relaxing, restful Sunday tomorrow. No pain or regret. No stress. Just put it out of your mind and revel in the freedom to make it your very own day.

Peace.

• blondie
    blondie
    We thanked her and hurried on, but I was cracking up. Like a Sunday night meeting at 6pm with a small child is sooo easy. Come on when do you eat dinner? How do you get your kid to wind down and go to sleep at a decent time before starting a new week of school? And who wants to get dressed up on a Sunday night after bummin' all day and go out in the cold?

dobby, I take it she doesn't have children? Actually, in the early days the congregation went out in field service all day and had the meeting in the evening. My mother remembers those days. The meetings were more lively with the conductor and the commenters putting in their own theories and ideas. Those were the days before a certain number of paragraphs were assigned to be covered. Sometimes only 3 paragraphs would be studied. My mother was put in a room with the other children to sleep on the coats until it was time to go home.

Yes, people are so clueless. It is the mind-numbing, unscriptural, boring talks and meetings that make anything better. I am just easing out myself and only attend 2 to 3 meetings a month. Soon to be none if all works out in the next few months.

Now this is more like it:

My Sundays are so different now. Leisurely pancake and bluegrass mornings. Cut lawns and porch swings. Newspapers or a matinee. Piano scales and chasing my son in his superman cape. A soak in the tub. A conversation with a friend. Parks and museums. Life. Rejuvenation. A day of rest. A day of gratitude and blessing. Sunday, the way its meant to be.
    Blondie (easing on down the road)
  • reubenfine
    reubenfine

Wow, what a great way to describe a perfect Sunday!

• Beans
    Beans

Right on! Yah know what I did this weekend NOTHING, guess what I am doing tomorrow, NOTHING. Oh how I love Sunday, after I stopped going to the meetings in 1984 I got these awesome habits like watching Coronation Street (I'm addicted) watching football, doin some shopping, going to the pub! A nice roast beef dinner and watching Walt Disney with the kids.

Imagine wasting that all away with service and a damn meeting! Sunday is a work day for a dub, screw that chit.

Beans

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Dobby, it's interesting isn't it, reflecting back on 'then'.

I loved your post. Yes, the time you have for yourself, your family, friends and doing things that you enjoy.

Me?

SUNDAYS - I work until about 4 or 5 a.m. from Saturday night into Sunday. I have been sleeping in on Sundays now for almost 19 years, and today...I am going to SLEEP through the entire day. Miss meetings and well...everything else .

Oh my, it's 6 p.m., time to hit the tavern.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Actually, our Sunday meeting is now at 6pm. So if that makes it any easier for you guys you should really come back to the Sunday meeting."

Drat if only they had made it so the meetings were 3pm instead, we would then have no excuse or reason not not to rush there with out kids...ah well, next time maybe.

Brummie

• gumby
    gumby

Hi doby,

I well remember often times I would come in the door of my home, change my clothes,shave quickly, and hurry to the meeting as I was an Elder with lots to do.It was a duty....NOT a comforting spiritual gathering that was enjoyed. Elders were often told many times NOT to let their own families suffer by putting too much time in others but that statement was ridiculous! There is NO WAY a person as myself at least could have done it. I had a buisness, a child, served in the congregation. To actually fullfill the role of a father, being a good elder, a good husband, and provider is mathmatically more than a human can do.

I say have a brewsky, be a good mom, love other people and yourself.......and don't sweat the rest

Take care,

Gumby

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Tink and I LOVE our weekends!! The best weekends are when we're alone,quiet and peaceful. Relaxing. We often say to each other.."Remember when.....". Then we laugh and just soak up the comfort of staying home and doing NOTHING!!

CC

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

What a lovely thread, Dobby!

• Gordy
    Gordy

Dobby

But where is God?

You never mentioned Him on your now leisure filled Sundays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit