Do US JWs Still Knock on Doors?

by cultBgone 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

This may sound like a silly question, but do JWs even door-knock any more? The few I know only speak of "manning the cart" at some public location, and because they get defensive if I even ask an innocent question like this I thought I'd ask it on the forum. Thanks!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They claim that door-to-door is their most important aspect of their "ministry", but we all know that most JWs try to avoid it like the plague. Much easier to make RVs (that are not at home), or stand by a cart, or best yet......drink mocha coffee at McDonalds (and count your time).

Doc

• troubled mind
    troubled mind
    I just saw some out yesterday doing door to door work . I hardly ever see them doing that anymore .
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    I had a few knock on my door a few weeks ago.
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon
    Two ladies knocked on my door yesterday and left a tract when I didn't answer it. (I didn't feel like engaging them in chit chat as I sometimes do.) They were not somebody I knew before I faded, so they probably didn't know whose door it was.
  • Virran
    Virran

I've lived here at my place now since summer of 2011 and they've only been here once, but they didn't knock on my door. I heard someone sticking something to my door knob and then went down the stairs. When I opened up it was an invitation to the memorial. I thought that was odd, since my door was the only one getting it. I've also once got a handwritten invitation in my mailbox.

When I ask my JW mom (she lives I Europe, I live in the states since many years) she says they're still going D2D. But it sounds like she's traveling far from her home to do so, like taking 2 hour trips to go out to remote archipelago islands to knock on a few doors and make it into more of a scenic picnic trip for fun. Not like it was before when I was young and still lived at home and she was knocking on my classmates doors and embarrassed the living s*it out of me. Or was handing out magazines in the subway rush traffic.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    Preaching work is over?
  • Ding
    Ding
    They still go door to door but they don't cover the territory anywhere as often as they used to.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    None have knocked on our door in over a year. But they can often be seen standing quietly at the local train station or chatting amongst themselves, mags in hand. When I was still in the bOrg most Saturday mornings were spent doing two hours of "street work" when we would walk the streets approaching random pedestrians (I detested this more than house to house field service) and then Sunday mornings field service. In my 12 years living in New York I have NEVER seen a JW doing street work in the city.
  • steve2
    steve2

They still go door to door but they don't cover the territory anywhere as often as they used to.

This could also be generalized to other Western countries. The "heyday" for sheer frequency of coverage of territory was easily the early to mid-1970s when we covered the same territory, metropolitan and rural every few weeks. Guess what accounted for the speeding up work over forty years ago?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit