Another only one

by Gig 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

It was just brought to my attention that Herbert Armstrong and the Worldwide Church of God are yet another "only us" religion. Have any of you ever studied him and his teachings and found similarities to the WT and GB? This could prove helpful to me as my JW friend is familiar with Armstrong having attended there as a child. She probably wouldn't know the similarities and it could be a tactical surprise for her slowly opening eyes.

• rekless
    rekless

Yes, In 1956 my Mother took a subscription to the Herbert W. Armstrong , "The Plain Truth" mag. It was very much like the JWs. , But it was soooo long ago I just can hardly remember it. I do remember how pleasant the message was. I guess that was one of the things made me turn to the Jws in later years.

• jazbug
    jazbug

Wasn't there a rumor many years ago that Armstrong was an exjw or was affiliated in some way and then went off on his own. I remember that many of the teachings are the same...using same scriptures, etc. My memory is only about 1/2 in long tho so I can't remember the details.

• Francois
    Francois

The Armstrongs indeed are ex-JWs. I don't recall what their argument with Rutherford was, but the old man, Herbert Armstrong, had some falling out with him and started his own thing. Later, his own son had a falling out with the old man and HE was DFed by Herbert, but was let back in because in the son rode all the hopes of the father. It was a real drama there for awhile. They had a radio program for years and then that was later augmented with a television program - The Worldwide Church of God, with Gardner (or Garner) Ted Armstrong. It was apocolyptic, too. The END was coming and I DO MEAN SOON. But Ted was smoother than a room full of elders. He was kinda fun to listen to, actually.

Don't know what ever happened to them.

francois

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Gig, here is a link to Garner Ted Armstrong:

http://www.garnertedarmstrong.ws/

I took a look around, and it's got lots of 'scary' this and that. The link is probably not what you are looking for, but if anyone is curious as to the 'end of the world' stuff, he's got loads.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Hey honey, look what we've got those goofballs believing in this month's issue...
    Photo: Herb & Loma Armstrong circa 1965

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~gavinru/herb1.htm

• Loris
    Loris

My sister is involved with the WorldWide Church of God. Has been for about fifteen years. It is another high control group. They follow the Jewish calendar and observe all of the Jewish holidays with a modern twist. They live in their RV during the Festival of Boothes. Others who do not own RV's pitch a tent in their yard. They do not believe in the Trinity but do not use a name for God. They do not celebrate any of the so called Christian holidays. They do not believe in Hellfire. Women are subservient. Very similar to JW. One difference is that the leaders are more personaly prominent they tend to want the TV glory i.e Garner Ted. The downside of that is his adultery was also in the limelight. I used to be appalled that my sister could be involved with the group that was rumored to be The Evil Slave Class. Now I know that I was involved with a Just as Evil Slave Class, Now that I am free I hope to reconnect with her and try to help her get free as well.

Loris

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

As I understand it, after the death of HW Armstrong, the church split, one branch staying "faithful" to HW, and the branch headed by his son becoming a bit more mainstream. I could be wrong.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I remember hearing Armstrong's name around the Kingdom Hall in hushed tones because he was THE Apostate of all apostates. My Mother would just get all shivery thinking about how demonized *he* must be!

CG

• TR
    TR

So evidently, according to the link posted above, there is a "Intercontinental Church of God", founded by GT Armstrong, as well as the original "Worldwide Church of God"? I didn't see a mention of HW Armstrong.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit