The Witnesses, prestigeous & derogatory titles.

by The Rebel 19 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In Egland we give " deserving" & " high flyers" titles.

This morning I was thinking I should have named my son PRESIDENT. I am sure it would have given him a great advantage in latter life.

So my questions:-

Do you think when a publisher becomes a " ministerial servant" or an "elder":-

a ) that this often blows up the persons " prestige"?

b) that he is then seen as someone special by many in the congregation.?

The other side I think is NOW more obvious and repugnant:-

a) how DID you feel when a person was labelled spiritual weak, or disfellowshipped?

b) how do you NOW feel about such derogatory titles?

As for myself I have concluded " titles" can have a great impact on how a person views themselfs. I however now try to look at the title as the shell of the fruit, but what is inside the fruit is what counts.

I WOULD APPRECITE, if answers are not more than five words, not less than four. :-)

The Rebel.

• SuziDrums
    SuziDrums

Yes

Somewhat

Sad

Angry

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks Suzi for the reply and great answers.

Folks I was only joking about replys being not more than 5 nor less than 4 words!

The Reply.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The Rebel

Q.1 Affirmative to both ( a , )and( b ). Of course his ego is going to go up.And many in the congregation . will view him differently .

Q,2( a ) A spiritually weak person was one who you had limited association with , while at the same time trying to encourage them to do more .

(b) You answered that yourself ( The Rebel ) , those titles are derogatory in nature.

{ The Rebel } {You should have asked How do you NOW feel about such titles } leaving the derogatory word out

Understand what I`m saying ?

But I get your drift , titles in the organization , tends to elevate males ego`s and in turn females should have greater respect for those appointed by God`s Holy Spirit..

And the women are given no such acknowledgement at all , even though they can , according to W.T,theology , rule with Christ Jesus in Heaven over all mankind for a thousand years.

The mind boggles doesn`t it ?

smiddy

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Great points Smiddy:-

But women can give prayer, if no baptised brothets are present, of course they have to cover their heads. ( I experienced that noncence once)

I myself believe in no religious titles, just a word of honour and genuine fellowship for all.

What I now write may appear rude and offensive, but MOST elders in my congregation were self- assured bastards, narrow minded and intolerant, who delighted in W.T stupidity.

Maybe it's more polite to say I never liked or felt good in elders company. But the truth is I loathed them, and this was giving them power. Now I choose simply to forget their names.

The Rebel.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

To see the complete picture, you have to take several, or many steps back.

The complete picture of J.W.'s? The most judgmental group of people I've ever known!

I used to be the same, and most of my relatives still are.

The mentality is transfused into new converts, and is now in J.W. kids' D.N.A., which is nurtured via Sophia & Caleb.

• tiki
    tiki

Submissive

Modest

Zealous

Strong in truth

Poop on it all.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

The only thought I now give CONVERATION is " All right for Individual Freedom" if that has nothing to do with " Religion" and we don't have to discuss " Politics" and we don't have to " agree"

The Rebel.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Do you think when a publisher becomes a " ministerial servant" or an "elder":-
    a ) that this often blows up the persons " prestige"?

Indeed.

b) that he is then seen as someone special by many in the congregation.?

Yes. when I was turned into an elder, suddenly, a lot of JWs thought I knew 'spiritual(TM)' things I didn't know the day before.

The other side I think is NOW more obvious and repugnant:-
    a) how DID you feel when a person was labelled spiritual weak, or disfellowshipped?

They were to be avoided. It was a gross insult.

b) how do you NOW feel about such derogatory titles?

I am repulsed by such cultish loaded language.

• millie210
    millie210

One telling thought about how the Org itself views its various "titles" is the recent recommendation that sisters not even consider a relationship with a brother who is NOT at least a Ministerial Servant!

(cuz we all know that has SO much to do with what makes a good mate....)

I think the term elder has always been loaded of course...with prestige but also...I feel very sorry for elders children.

Yes, there are the stereotypical ones that get away with a lot but the flip side of that is the elders kids are held to a higher standard....talk about pressure to get baptized? When your dad is an elder? Its a given!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit