How do JW's determine a person is anointed?

by thinker11 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thinker11
    thinker11
    I've always wondered about this. When a person believes they made a spiritual connection with God and proclaims themselves as anointed, how do they determine whether this person is anointed or not. Does a group of elders look at the person's spiritual resume and check off the person's pioneer stats, bible knowledge, attendance, work ethic, personality, etc and then believe in the person if they have a good track record? I've actually never talked to an anointed one but apparently the connection they felt is kept secret and they can't say what exactly happened because its between them and god. Any thoughts?
  • schnell
    schnell

An elderly man in Sacramento made sure to teach me that, "There is one thing Jehovah can't do: Lie." He was anointed, or so they say.

Nice guy, but you can hardly tell me now that Jehovah can't lie. If he can't then he isn't all-powerful, and he is shown in the scriptures to deceive his enemies. Therefore he can lie.

So, eh. Delusion, big numbers, and good manners is probably all it really takes.

• Simon
    Simon

Anyone can make the claim, boom, that's it, you are not co-master of the universe.

Seem's like a totally legit system and not open to any abuse or something that would appeal to people with a nutty leaning.

The count of the number of anointed show that people don't just declare themselves "anointed" as a fad and they are gradually reducing in num ... oh, erm, nevermind.

• blondie
    blondie

Only God and the individual know....the holy spirit tells only them per the bible. Of course, at Pentecost 33 CE the holy spirit came down over the heads of all those gathered followers of Jesus like a flame, and later people demonstrated gifts of the holy spirit, talking in tongues, etc., All Christians received it upon baptism then, except for Cornelius and his group because Peter needed to be convinced they deserved it as Gentiles. (just reporting not supporting)

Now since 1935 (or 1881) the WTS teaches that only those going to heaven receive it, and only those who are baptized members of their organization and that not all are going as the bible indicated in Acts and Jesus' words.

If all Christians then were anointed with holy spirit, it makes the congregation different, all equal and heading the same place, to be kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. No special privileges or status because of being anointed. Different today, anointed jws are above all non-anointed in their status with Jesus. They are considered his brothers but not non-anointed.

• ScottyRex
    ScottyRex

an anointed old lady used to give me a lift home from the KH back in the mid 80-s. I was only about 18 at the time and she must have been in her 80's, she drove an old french Citroen. I remember asking her in the car how she knew she was of 'the anointed' and her reply was very kindly. She just said that her spirit had connected with Jehovah. She then asked me how I knew I wasn't and was I sure.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Not quite, Blondie.

that is the way it used to be.

now the GoBo says anointed do not have more Holy Spirit than the non-anointed.

• ScottyRex
    ScottyRex

I knew I wasn't but she didn't have to say anymore. She was very genuine.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Scotty, I dared answer back with the question "how do you know you are not anointed?"

I was reported, and questioned by the hounders.

• ScottyRex
    ScottyRex

really? I never had that response only kindness.

• ScottyRex
    ScottyRex

but then I was full of questions back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit