Examples in the Bible?

by happyout 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It may be significant that another story has Jesus renouncing the Temple leaders and being chased out, he escapes with his life becase he hides ad runs away. Was this an earlier attempt on the temple when he lacked enough muscle to hold his ground? Or was it just an occasion when he attempted a diplomatic approach and failed. He is said in the Bible version to be using a whip, so even in this reworked account he was assaulting people. Remember too that it was Jesus who is quoted as telling his followers to sell their garments to buy a sword. The gloss that folows this statement is awkward and has confused Christians for centuries indicating a rewriting.

No this position does not pressume Bible errors it just recognizes them.

• freeman
    freeman

Happyout,

Just one point, you said:

Dubs don't celebrate birthdays because the two examples in the Bible were negative, right?

And you are correct on that point, but I would like to make this side point even though it is not necessarily germane to your point. It is a fact that more then two birthday celebrations are presented in the Bible. The two you are talking about had bad outcomes.

However, according to the book of Job, not all birthday celebrations were practiced by pagans or had negative outcomes. All of Jobs children celebrated their own special day. Or as my Living Bible translates, their birthdays were celebrated.

I just wanted to interject that point since you were on the subject of birthdays in the bible. Its just another JW falsehood that needs to be demolished.

Freeman

Edited by - freeman on 31 January 2003 16:46:7

• happyout
    happyout

Thanks so much for enlightening me! Now if only I ever worked up the courage to ask my family about this, maybe it would open their eyes just a little. This board is incredible!!

Special thanks to PeacefulPete and freeman for your special insights.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

TO further illustrate Freemans point on the birthdays in Job--

It also says that while Job was being afflicted he "cursed his day-- the day he was born"-- it says both those together which further shows that when they refer to Job's childrens days (being celebrated) that it meant their birthdays-- the phrase 'his day' or 'her day' or 'their day' refers to what we now call birthdays.

Jws also change the subject if you bring that up by saying: God doesn't command us to celebrate (birthdays or any other holiday can be inserted here-lol) so we should't.

Answer: Well- do Jws celebrate all the OT holidays that ARE commanded by God? Why not? AND The Bible never commands us to celebrate Hannukah but Jesus is recorded celebrating it in the NT.

my 2cents. <><Angie :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit