What don't you miss about meetings?

by kwijibo 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• nelly1
    nelly1

oh man I relate to all of this, but to kwijibo , yes definately almost as if i had written it myself,

makes u feel sad doesnt it, I relate to all of you and agree 3000 percent,

its such a relief not to have to put up with any of that anymore.

and you know what????

if jehovah is going to destroy me ( which i doubt hes a loving god) but if he did id rather die anyway than have to live like that anymore.

i was miserable for years, I couldnt date as there was no one to date, no available brothers for miles

and there was one i liked and i played that scenario so close to societies rules it wasnt even funny

and yet poor me was used and played with like a dead mouse by a cat, and no one said a thing, he was reported to the elders and got away with it. blamed me made up lies that i was chasing him.

creep, oh well. a hard lesson learned but then again i was just a person doing what i thought was right trying to serve our creator.

gonna take me 13 years to get over it all now.

love to all

nelly

• shera
    shera

The guilt of never feeling I was good enough,for an organization.The control!

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

I don't miss the ton of guilt they lay on you for EVERYTHING!!!!

I don't miss getting out and giving talks. Even though thats something I do well.

I don't miss going out in service!!!!!!!

Diamond

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    if jehovah is going to destroy me ( which i doubt hes a loving god) but if he did id rather die anyway than have to live like that anymore.

I agree... JWs are always preaching about the "paradise" to come, but if the "paradise" is anything like life in the bORg, then I don't want to be there.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Agreed, elsewhere! I came to the realization that if living forever meant with these people and these rules, then I'd rather enjoy each day to the fullest with my family and die at my due time. I also believe that Jehovah and Jesus are loving AND reasonable and, unlike this incredibly judgmental group of people, realize and appreciate when someone is doing their best.

Here's to sunrises, sunsets, and a second cup of coffee -- some of life's little pleasures!

Nina

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Having to shave before the meeting

Having to be there 30 minutes early to set up the sound

Being asked to give a talk 5 minutes before I was supposed to go on stage

Having to kiss elder ass

Not being able to hang out with my "wordly" friends

Eric

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I'm so sorry to hear Lutece/Anne, that your experience was so much like mine. I believe those affected the most, were those who had a good heart and bought the whole "package". We wanted to please god, and we wanted to survive armageddon. Even though we might have had doubts, as most said "where would we have gone to?" We were so wrapped up in cultish dogma.

Just had to add these thoughts:I was baptized when I was fourteen, in 1959-60, out of fear and horror at the thought of god killing me just for NOT being a JW. And I wanted to be a good girl. After fulfilling my "vows", by not furthering my education, and not dating "worldly guys", and cutting off "worldly family and friends", I was deeply inbedded in the mechanism of borg-ism. I graduated with honors from high school in 1964, and turned my nose up at college and those good employment opportunities, because I was a pioneer, working part-time wherever I could.

It didn't take me long after that to realize that putting in the time was more important than the quality of the accomplishments. Minutes began to dictate my life. Those minutes that I carefully and "conscientously" kept up, so that I would have the amount of time to submit to stay on the pioneer list. Into the second year, I stopped. I really began taking a look at my life, and made some startling discoveries. JW's didn't have all the answers, but they didn't want you to look elsewhere to get your answers. In fact they labeled a person, and considered them weak, and unworthy for certain things within the congregation. It was really not about serving god, but was about serving an organization, the WTBTS.

I stuck it out until I was twenty-one, then rebelled in an unprepared way, ending up married to a non-believer. When I had my first child, I reassessed my position as disfellowshipped, doomed to die, and decided to try to get back in. After all, if I didn't, my mom would not associate with me or her new grandchild. Then, I stayed in a little more than ten years. I wasn't regular in meeting attendence after I got reinstated. I rarely went in service. Still, in name, I was considered worthy to at least associate with. I tried to live a good life. I just wasn't a JW in my heart. I lived with great fear and guilt. I knew the creator knew that, and in time, I just couldn't live the lie any longer, no matter what the cost.

So, I was in initially for eleven years. Out for two. In for another eleven years, and out for good. But it took another twenty years for me to get rid of all the emotional baggage and rise above the damage that they did to me. I have been successful now, and am enjoying living my life. There are many more happy days than sad. They aren't "under my skin" anymore. They aren't in my dreams. I don't fear running into "them", or answering the door to "them". The only thing that affects me is that my mom and some other family are still in and very active. I'm presently being shunned again.

It just takes time. We were what they call "co-dependent". Simply leaving doesn't resolve the inner turmoil and correct the damage done. That takes lots of personal work and sometimes professional help.

My best wishes to all who continue to struggle with related JW issues. Life is so beautiful. Go out and live it. Be a part of it.

It's not an easy road, but we aren't alone these days, like many of us were years ago, when there was no where to turn to. This forum is a great place of solace! Bless you all for taking part!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Having to sit through a service meeting in which two thirds of the seats are empty, half of the rest are sleeping, and someone is giving a 20 minute part with information that could be covered in 2 minutes by a third grader.

Why not: "I'll keep my car clean, I'll keep my body clean, I won't be jumping in bed with my fellow sisters (or brothers) and I will keep my thoughts pure."

Enough said, lets' sing the song, have the prayer and be home before 9.

*****Rub a Dub

• bay64me
    bay64me

I don't miss..........

Stupid, uncomfortable outfits,

Wearing tights,

Sensible ministry shoes,

Obligitory raincoats,

Wondering if I was wearing too much make-up,

The songs,

The speakers,

The talks,

The lot!

• obiwan
    obiwan

Having the feeling that someone is always watching your every move.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit