Did Anyone Ever Like The Dramas?

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Valis, Where did they get ALL that Shasta??? Canada?

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Drama=Nap

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yeah, yeah!

I liked the staged dramas at the assembly, and the REAL dramas going on in the audience with the brothers/sisters.

I do recall some dramas when props would either break, fall over or simply not function. Or you'd get someone performing their 'Oscar' role. Simple boo-boos were cute, and funny. Like when someone stepped on one sister's shawl on stage which forced her head dress to go flying off behind her.

I saw one drama at a Montreal assembly back in 1979. This was during that whole 'disco' is bad/backwards masking records etc., and watching this drama and well, it was quite well done. I remember saying: 'they should get into doing these for the entire assembly'.

But on hot summer afternoons, it took everything out of me to stay awake sometimes. Zzz! The dramas, for some, would be the 'alarm clock' going off for them to wake up!

• minimus
    minimus

The vamp sister that played Jezebel in the drama, a few yrs. back, got publicly reproved for "fornicating" with the elder that had the part. He was disfellowshipped.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

When I was a little kid, I was always glad the meetings were on Tuesday and Thursday nights. That way I didn't have to miss so many adventures of the Lone Ranger, Captain Midnight, the Green Hornet and others on radio. I've always been a fan of radio and theatre drama. If I had the money, I'd go to every Shakespearean and other play around (in Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Guelph, Cambridge, Kitchener, Stratford and London -- all great drama centres in this area).

I was involved in the earliest dramas produced at Brooklyn Bethel. At first I was into making props, and my wife helped to make the costumes. Later I became involved in transporting equipment, arranging for meals and doing a lot of other things connected with both Gilead and convention dramas and orchestras. Gilead graduations were twice a year, and often there were two dramas at each of them. So, all my spare time outside of the congregation and work at my Bethel job was focussed on dramas practically the whole year round.

I got to be a great admirer of Ulysses Glass. Others as well as I viewed him as a genius. I still think he was a special person. I remember him as fair and willing to defend the little guy. Occasionally, he showed a bit of temper, but the next day he treated you like a king. I worked in the Gilead Office, and it never ceased to amaze me how much work poured from his pen. He never used a typewriter or computer, yet his manuscripts were thick and nearly flawless week after week in preparation for classes and for dramas. I do think he could have been a great Broadway playwright or Hollywood screenwriter.

I found most convention speeches boring. So, I was one of the lucky ones, often backstage and busy with preparations for the next drama. I was glad when there was one on Sunday. After the drama, there was always something to do in the way of rounding up equipment, etc. Sitting in the audience during assemblies and conventions were the most dreaded times in the year for me. I can't sit still for long, and I remember actually praying for some speakers to finally bring their dull and repetitious messages to an end.

fjtoth

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimum,

: ERIC....I remember that heart/brain drama. That was a sure waste of time. They didn't even understand that the heart wasn't literal.

If the heart isn't literal, then what's beating in your chest? Something symbolic?

Farkel

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Did anyone beside me have the dramas on tape??? I remember that I had the one of the 10 plagues memorized from beginning to end,

• animal
    animal

I was in one of those skits... back in 1972... in NY at the ball stadium. Our whole family was in it, about the "Prodical Son" coming back to the "truth", I was the one that returned.

The irony in the whole thing.... I had run away from home that spring, twice, and had just got caught again and was playing "good kid", waiting to run again. The assumption was that, by getting me involved, I would turn around and be a good kid after all.

I dont remember much of the skit details, other than hearing my voice echoing and losing my place in the skit. Yes, I caught hell for screwing up.

I also ran away again a few weeks after we got back.

Animal

• minimus
    minimus

Freckel, The heart is figurative, not literal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit