ELEVEN YEARS on this Discussion Group

by Terry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoos
    Zoos

Terry, I don't often post but I'm always reading and have enjoyed your many threads. I was thinking about you the other day and your book that I purchased (and thoroughly enjoyed - difficult a story as it was to read).

I was wondering... most of us wake up with a desire to see the WT organization crumble. I'm sure you're no different. How have your thoughts on that possibility changed over the years since you awakened?

And:

Of all the things you have accomplished since you've been out, what do you feel was your finest moment, your biggest mistake, and what might you have done differently?

Don't mean to bombard you with a big homework assignment. We all respect your insights around here and would enjoy hearing what you think.

• Simon
    Simon

I get nostalgic whenever I'm working on the forum software and end up looking through old topics and posts as they are processing - it brings back memories of where *I* was at the time.

There have been a lot of great people join, contribute and eventually move on over the years. Some characters for sure.

• Terry
    Terry

I was wondering... most of us wake up with a desire to see the WT organization crumble. I'm sure you're no different. How have your thoughts on that possibility changed over the years since you awakened?

One of my first posts was an embarrassingly naive topic about taking down the Watchtower!

I have to laugh now at the stupidity of my premise:)
    If Scientology can get away with what they do, the Watchtower has a lot of larceny to perpetrate before they are in the same league. My motto is: Free one person at a time.

And:

Of all the things you have accomplished since you've been out, what do you feel was your finest moment, your biggest mistake, and what might you have done differently?

I've been directly responsible for confronting a young JW as he conversed with a Baptist. I laid it all out for him. We are now great friends and he is mentally free and searching for a way to leave the Borg permanently.
    My biggest mistake was truly convincing myself my oldest and closest JW friend actually still cared about me. He does not and it hurts.
    What I might have done differently is this--I should not have let him slide on his cognitive dissonance. I should have pushed really hard.

Don't mean to bombard you with a big homework assignment. We all respect your insights around here and would enjoy hearing what you think.
    ______

Not a problem, I'm humbled by your interest.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I am a few years ahead of you. Time flies when you are having fun.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It's eleven years for me as well. I don't know where the time went.

There are some people who are of the mind that we should "move on" and not post on a discussion board so long. I disagree.

I believe you can move on and still post on a discussion forum or, even if a person does not post, they can read out of curiosity what the current teachings are in the JW religion. This is, of course, assuming it does not make a person angry or send them into a tailspin of a depression.

Looking back on my association with the JWs - at least I stopped smoking and became more disciplined in my habits! That's my way of being philosophical about the wasted time in a sham.

All in all, I'm glad it's behind me!👍

• Terry
    Terry
    Amen--well said!
  • clarity
    clarity

Just 5 years for me .....when I came here I still thought the bible was gods word. There was one particular post of yours Terry that opened my eyes about the bible .......& god! Thanks.

• pronomono
    pronomono

Terry,

You have some of the best posts. I always enjoy sitting down to read your posts like a good book. I may not always comment on them because I don't have much to say. I'm the quiet type. But I always enjoy them and look forward to your next thought-provoking post.

Keep my mind thinking.

• fukitol
    fukitol
    I think its a bit odd to be on here so many years and still have a compulsive need to start threads so frequently.
  • whathappened
    whathappened
    And you are one of my favorite posters here. When my sister and I left n 2010, we used to read your posts to one another. You taught us a lot about ttatt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit