Help me Help a JW Friend

by JLOB 14 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

So you're an ex-mormon? Didn't they have a high level member leave and write a book about his experience? Similar to Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz?

If you could get your employee to read some ex-mormon stuff that might help him to realize that what he's involved with is essentially the same.

• JLOB
    JLOB

Scully-

Thanks for your advice. I think refering him to EAP is an excellent idea. I work for a large corporation and we have outstanding benifits one of which is our EAP. I guess I was to close to the situation to see the signs of depression. Now that I have read your post it is clear to me that EAP is his best move. He trust me that I know because he shared his mariage problems with me before he got his divorce. If I can convince him to see a professional he will get the coaching and advice he needs.

Thanks XW for being there.

Heaven-

I do realize some of the trauma that results from breaking away from a controlling religion like the mormans, maybe that's why I have taken his situation so personal. Maybe I will share with him my story and see how he responds. If he is curious about my story mabe it will open doors to him sharing his situation. He needs to know that he is not alone dealing with divorce, fatherhood, and a controlling relgion. I can totally relate. Thanks for your feedback.

To everyone else that has posted Thank You and please share this story with others, I am open to hear what many others like yourselfs have to say. I can learn alot from you all.

Much Appreciation

JLOB

• Solace
    Solace

JLOB,

Thats a good idea, sharing your experience. I would think if your friend knows you are sincere, he will open up to you.

Let us know how it works out. Sorry, just incredibly nosey......

Take care.

• JLOB
    JLOB

Scully & Heaven

I took both of your advice and spoke with my employee. I sugested to him that he contact our EAP and I shared my story about how I was depressed and felt gulty and all alone when I was recently divorced with a daughter and broken away from the Mormans. He recieved my counsil well, however he said that he didn't think the EAP couselers could help. He said that he needed to get right with God and that maybe the elders from his Kingdom Hall could help. He said that it was hard for him to go to the Kingdom Hall because his ex-wife was telling everyone about him and that he felt very uncomfortable. He said that his belief was still strong and that he would find away to work things out with God and through God. That was not good news to me. I wanted to tell him so bad how I felt. I wanted to tell him that they only way he was going to find the real God was to break away from the JW. I rembered what some of you said about being apostate so I listen and was careful about what I said. I think he is going to try to find away to sort things out within JW. He is not going to seek profesional help. I do believe that he saw my concern and I feel I opened a door for him to use when he needed support. I told him that I would continue to pray for him and that I would be there for him whenever he needed someone to talk to. He also told me that another employee of mine who is also JW is constantly on him about getting back to church. Both of my employes work right next to each other so I am sure that he is having to face JW control everyday at work. As his manger all I can do is secretly pray and be available to him. I feel in the end he is going to end up back in the Kingdom Hall, back under JW control, and remain depressed. Hopefuly I am wrong.

Thanks for allof your thoughts, prayers, and comments.

JLOB

• jgnat
    jgnat

JLOB, we all need managers like you. You dealt with your employee sensitively. A very wise move not to protest his decision. After he gets another kick in the pants at the KH (Hopefully from the backside. Less painful), he might remember your kindness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit