Online Therapy for Watchtower Survivors

by RevMalk 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hey Rev, that was great of the Doc to answer in detail like that. Much appreciated! (good answer, too!)

Hmmm... guess I'll start making a list, lol!

The introductory chat sounds nice, but I've never done chat. A little overwhelming I would think (for me, that is, not for others), but depending on the time and date, I would try to be there.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk
    Hey Rev, that was great of the Doc to answer in detail like that. Much appreciated! (good answer, too!)

Yes Grits, I thought so. He's a good guy, down to earth, I've taken a liking to him.

Hmmm... guess I'll start making a list, lol!

Are you going to be checking it twice? Actually, that's a great idea.....I'm thinking it will take time to get rolling, no-one likes to be first, as LyinEyes said.

The introductory chat sounds nice, but I've never done chat. A little overwhelming I would think (for me, that is, not for others), but depending on the time and date, I would try to be there.

Well, I figure there might be some that don't show up for this reason, but lurkers are fine! Getting information out there is the key, and lurking is not a problem whatsoever. I probably won't say much either (ya right, haha). As soon as I have a specific time and place, I'll post that information, and ask for confirmations, because I really don't want to have him schedule a time and no-one show up. I know I'm worried more about that than he is, but....He's the one doing us a favor, so I don't want it to be in vain. He said if all else fails he'll just go to the forums and answer any questions he might receive there. It's the first shot, so he knows it might be slow, and that's ok he says. But, it'll be a good time for us to get to know him, even if there's only a couple of people chatting.

GO REV that is just what the victims need

I think so, and he's not totally in the dark on the subject, BUT he has a fresh new perspective, and like he said, he's not here just for the sexual Abuse Survivors, he' here for all of us, and I think that's a good thing. We're all Survivors of one type of Abuse or another, and keeping a broad perspective is a benefit to us all.

I think I might start him off on Simon and Dungbeetle and TH, HAHAHA. kidding.....

• abbagail
    abbagail
    He's a good guy, down to earth, I've taken a liking to him.

Glad to hear it. From his pic at his website (or wherever I saw it, LRD?), I'd guess he looks about mid-30s-??

I'm thinking it will take time to get rolling, no-one likes to be first, as LyinEyes said.

You got that right. I can think of several little things I'd already be asking so the good doc would have some "files" on his desk when he starts, lol. But as you say, yipes! 'Fessing up out in the open to our worrisome habits, feelings, ruts, etc. is a bit scary. Of course, if we started "hanging out our laundry" like that, it probably would bring in the crowds to see who has what problem, lol. Watch those site statistics go up up up!

I probably won't say much either (ya right, haha).

"You Yourself Said It." (Grits paraphrasing Jesus' words)

...he'll just go to the forums and answer any questions he might receive there.

So, do we simply post our Q's as a "New Topic" in that particular forum? In other words, each person's Q would be a separate new topic?

But, it'll be a good time for us to get to know him, even if there's only a couple of people chatting.

I agree 100% and it will give me the motivation to try chat for the first time. Actually, smaller crowds are more to my comfort-zone anyway.

...he's not here just for the sexual Abuse Survivors, he' here for all of us, and I think that's a good thing.

Again, agree. No reason to limit the scope. With such a willing volunteer, we can pick his brains to pieces, lol. So everyone, come on over!

I think I might start him off on Simon and Dungbeetle and TH, HAHAHA. kidding.....

Only you could get away with that, lol!
    Don't forget Amazing ...and.... Bill... and... and... and...

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Glad to hear it. From his pic at his website (or wherever I saw it, LRD?), I'd guess he looks about mid-30s-??

Good Guess! 37 to be exact. Here's his Resume (it's ok, it's public info):

DAVID B. FRANKLIN

Age 37 San Antonio, Texas 78258

Widowed

Areas of Specialty

Grief/Bereavement Traumatic Stress Hypnosis Substance Abuse

Suicide Assessment/Prevention Domestic Violence Ethics Research and Data Analysis

Education: Doctor of Philosophy

The University of Texas at Austin; Austin, TX

Dissertation: Ethical Competency among Social Work Practitioners in Texas

Master of Science in Social Work

TheUniversity of Texas at Arlington; Arlington, TX

Major-Clinical Social Work

Our Lady of the Lake University; San Antonio, TX

Bachelor of Arts

Southwest Texas State University; San Marcos, TX

Major-Psychology Minor-Spanish

Angelo State University; San Angelo, TX

Academic Co-Instructor

, Ethics and Social Work Practice (graduate course)

Appointments:

The University of Texas at Austin; Austin, TX (fall 1999)

Adjunct Faculty Member

-Midwestern State University; Wichita Falls, TX

(

Jun 1993 - Jul 1994)

Licensure:

Licensed Master Social Worker-Advanced Clinical Practitioner-Stateof

Texas, license #18271

Diplomate:

Diplomate, Clinical Social Work-National Association of Social Workers

Diplomate, American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress

Board Certified in Domestic Violence

Certification:

Qualified Clinical Social Worker-National Association of Social Workers

Post-Graduate

Private Practitioner San Antonio, TX (2000 - present)

Professional

Provides comprehensive diagnostic assessment and therapeutic intervention to

Experience:

adolescents and adults using individual, family, and group treatment modalities in a general practice setting (part time).

Ethics Consultant

San Antonio, TX (2000 - present)

Provides ethical consultation and supervision to recipients of ethics complaints. Furnishes information and guidance to insurance companies involved in ethics adjudication or complaints (part time).

Clinical Social Worker, USAF

(1989 - 1996)

Developed and maintained the plans, policies, directives, and procedures for a social work program that serviced 1,200 Active Duty personnel and 3,300 retired beneficiaries. Directed six fulltime professional and support staff. Managed $100,000 annual budget. Other duties consisted of the following:

Director, Family Advocacy Program (spousal and child abuse and neglect)

Chief, Social Work Services

Outpatient Mental Health Clinician

Mental Health Services Hostage Negotiator Consultant

Exceptional Family Member Program Officer (family disabilities/handicaps)

Clinical Provider and Treatment Team Leader, Alcohol Rehabilitation Center

Program Manager, Suicide Prevention Program

Evaluator and Officer in Charge (OIC), Outpatient Substance Abuse Clinic

Clinical Adviser, Smoking Cessation Program

Chief, Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment Team

Professional Linking Research with Clinical Practice-Lecture presented to 20 undergraduate

Briefings: andgraduate students taking an introductory research course (2001)

Ethics and Clinical Practice-Lecture presented to 30 graduate students taking a course on HBSE (2001)

How to Succeed in Private Practice-Lecture presented to 40 graduate students taking a course on group psychotherapy (2000)

Clinical Use of the DSM-IV-Lecture presented to a graduate class of 60 students taking a course on Clinical Assessment using the DSM-IV (1999)

Hostage Negotiation: The Consultative Role of Mental Health-Lecture presented to mental health staff as part of Disaster Team Training; Laughlin AFB, TX

Non-Violence in the Workplace -Lecture presented to 25 medical staff who interacted with an expanding patient population, Sheppard AFB, TX

Social Skills and the Alcoholic - Monthly lecture presented to 60 alcoholic patients to increase the social skills that are required for continued sobriety; Sheppard AFB, TX

Commander Directed Mental Health Evaluations -Lecture presented to Sheppard's Senior Commanders, First Sergeants, and Senior Training Managers on how to decrease inappropriate referrals and increase compliance with military regulations; Sheppard AFB, TX

Making the Most of Sheppard -Lecture presented weekly to 150 new military technical training students as part of an USAF directed suicide prevention program; Sheppard AFB, TX

Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy -Lecture presented to 30 mental health staff as part of continuing education; Sheppard AFB, TX

Body Image, Sexual Behavior, and Sexual Imagery-Lecture presented to 25 mental health staff as part of continuing education; Sheppard AFB, TX

Types of Batterers -Lecture presented to 45 mental health staff as part of continuing education; Sheppard AFB, TX

Sexual Assault Intervention -Lecture presented to 15 mental health staff as part of continuing education; Sheppard AFB, TX

Authored Letter to the Editor. Social Work, 2002. The National Association of Social Workers.

Works:

Ethical Competency among Social Work Practitioners in Texas

Doctoral Dissertation,The University of Texas at Austin; Austin, TX 2002 (unpublished)

Time-Out for Effective Parenting: The 90's Version. Newspaper article published by The Border-Eagle; Laughlin AFB, TX

User-Friendly On-Call Guide -40 page multidisciplinary manual which merged and outlined Air Force, hospital, and clinic policies for mental health emergencies and comprehensively listed community resources, 1993 (Unpublished)

Body Image, Sexual Behavior, and Sexual Imagery: A Replicate Study

Master's Thesis, The University of Texas at Arlington; Arlington, TX 1990 (Unpublished)

Professional Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy

Organizations: American Society of Clinical Hypnosis

American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress

Central Texas Society of Clinical Hypnosis

National Association of Social Workers

National Organization of Forensic Social Work

ProfessionalRecipient of the Social Work Foundation Advisory Council Endowed

Honors and PresidentialScholarship

Achievements:

Guest Editorial Reviewer for journal articles and books published in Research on

Social Work Practice

Represented the Sheppard Company Grade Officer's Council at Regional Company Grade Officer of the Year Competition; Offutt AFB, NE

Commended by the 82 nd Training Group Commander for outstanding program management of the suicide prevention program; Sheppard AFB, TX

Recognized by the 86th Medical Training Group for practicum support of the Mental Health Technician Course; Sheppard AFB, TX

Who's Who Registry of Rising Young Americans

Cited by Family Advocacy Headquarters Command Staff for contributions that significantly improved the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP); Sheppard AFB, TX

Alpha Delta Mu (National Social Work Honor Society)

'Fessing up out in the open to our worrisome habits, feelings, ruts, etc. is a bit scary. Of course, if we started "hanging out our laundry" like that, it probably would bring in the crowds to see who has what problem, lol. Watch those site statistics go up up up!

haha, I know what you mean. We've actually gotten a taker this morning, which is good news, someone else had to take the plunge!

Dr Franklin Online Question and Answer Forum - NEW!
    "You Yourself Said It." (Grits paraphrasing Jesus' words)

Ya, I'm a bit 'long winded' sometimes. I start out not having a clue what to say, the next thing I know, I've gone and said waaaay too much!
    So, do we simply post our Q's as a "New Topic" in that particular forum? In other words, each person's Q would be a separate new topic?

exactly, you can see how it was done there now that someone posted.
    I agree 100% and it will give me the motivation to try chat for the first time. Actually, smaller crowds are more to my comfort-zone anyway.

right. I think what we'll do is set something up for next week or so. Give it some time for people to make plans, and I'll send out a global newsletter.
    Again, agree. No reason to limit the scope. With such a willing volunteer, we can pick his brains to pieces, lol. So everyone, come on over!

ya right? Do you think he has ANY clue what he's gotten himself into here? LOL!

Only you could get away with that, lol!
    Don't forget Amazing ...and.... Bill... and... and... and...
    haha, that's because no-one pays any attention to me. Yeah, we'll have to get a whole group therapy thing going, we all need it! I just noticed the Dr is Widowed, he's never mentioned that to me.
  • abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks Rev, for the replies and additional info on the Doc. You asked,

Do you think he has ANY clue what he's gotten himself into here? LOL!

Hahahaha, NO, I don't think so, LOL!

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Ya, me neither, but we'll milk him for all he's worth before he runs away as fast a he can, LOL.

I'm kidding of course :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit