Education is 'HARD', first test after 27 years

by The Marvster 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

Well, in an effort to completely rebel against all things 'watchtower', I decided that since I gave all my years since leaving school to the Borg, and listened to their admonition to avoid 'higher education' I have just started... right from bottom...

Today I took a 2 hour maths test to see if I would be eligible to go on a course to re-take my GCSE maths exam (this is the qualification you study for here in England in the last 2 years of compulsory schooling from ages 14-16). Back in May 1988 I did no revision, and didn't study hence a complete flop of ALL exams.... and seeing that 'education' wasn't on the agenda back then, and has always been warned against, (unless it was perhaps trade oriented) it was wiped from my mind... yep a JW mind-wipe occurred here, I've decided to go back to school, just for the challenge of it, F**k the ORG, I might have wasted decades swallowing their philosophy, but I don't have to let that past control me now..

the test was 'really' hard going... and I don't think I passed, but can still get on a more basic course to start me off if I don't get on the main course.... The tutors were so warm and enthusiastic about me taking up the study at aged 43, it was so nice to hear someone get excited that I'm going to study (never in 29 years with the borg)

I've also learned something else; JW's talk about the 'highest education' that the watchtower supposedly teaches... BULLSHIT, that 'call and response' crap that you do in watchtower study and other meetings, that parroting, has got to be the lowest form of education there is, you don't use your brain, you don't have to analyse or think or deduce or calculate, or use savvy... it's just call and response, and nothing more, pure repetition, answer what's in the paragraph. So having revised this week, today I was required to use the underlying principles I re-learned, in application to the difficult math questions. I had to use my 'noggin', my head, in an analytical way, and it was bloody hard.... Watchtower has the highest form of education? my ass it's the highest..... I used to look down on people who spent years getting a higher education, after one small test, THEY HAVE MY UTMOST RESPECT...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hello Marvster----i'm in the UK too--well--just about.

if your interested--theres a secret UK facebook group with about 200 members on it--lots post on here. PM me for further info if you want to.

meanwhile--heres a link to other UK members on here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/197364/ex-jw-uk?size=20&page=1

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Congratulations, I went back to school at age 40. Had to take remedial classes in basic math and writing I had no idea how to work with fractions, percentages, etc. I was going for engineering so you can imagine how I felt when I was taking tests in calculus. Switch majors to business and it took me ten years to get my degree at age 50. Went back to get a second degree in science and need about 3 classes to get a second degree. You can imagine how I felt as a 40 year old man going to classes with 18 year old kids.

Your right, the education the WT gives is about 3rd grade level. That's why they can’t figure out 607 vs 587.

• Peony
    Peony
    First thing I did when I stopped going to meetings was enrol with The Open University on a bookkeeping course. Like you 'The Marvster' I had shocking school results but didn't care (after all I was going to get a job cleaning and pioneer)! I found I loved studying the course when I got in the swing of things but then I suppose my attitude to education had changed. Good luck and keep going you will feel a great sense of achievement. I'm also in the UK near Oxford. X
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Good luck Marv, once you get the learning muscle going again you will feel great.
  • The Marvster
    The Marvster

John Aquila,

I'm very encouraged by you example.. I honestly thought it was too late.. but that's just the JW part of my indoctrination still deep rooted so I'm going for the plunge.... calculus, I can just about spell that, that one would have killed me... yes, I went basic, had to revise my fractions, percentages, long division etc etc.. I'll just have to face the music with having to study with kids in their late teen, don't care anymore, this is what I want to do, so if need be, I will suffer a bit of awkwardness...

Stan Livedeath, thanks for the link, will PM you..

Peony thank you, I'm a Londoner, well just on the edge of London, It's taken 3 years for me to realise the 'watchtower' damage, so only now am I starting out... like yourself, my attitude has totally changed and I'm really looking forward to studying..

Slidin fast, yeah, I guess it will be a learning curve and growing pains, like re starting at the gym after years... but I trust things will get easier as the grey matter acclimatises itself...

• antes8080
    antes8080

I just started this summer in school and will finish my first two classes this week. I'm happy that I got A's in both classes. We have heard that if you read the magazines is like going to college. I'm not sure what college they referred to becouse I have learned more in two months then 25 years in the theocratic school.

• cantleave
    cantleave

GCSE's??? I did "O" levels, proper exams before grade inflation

In all seriousness it's horrifying to realise the opportunities that have been wasted when you leave the cult and realise it was all BS. I wish you every success in your academic endeavours.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well done, Marv! It's never too late to learn.

I used to hate exams (hence my user name). Three hours of sitting and writing in total silence was tough for me.

But what I would say is: persevere, put in good, organized amounts of revision and do your best.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Congrats on going back to school and higher education. I was lucky enough to leave early and do the traditional route of higher education at a younger age. I'm located in America.

I am currently going back to school for a 2nd career change. My original degree was in business. I'm now 38 years old working on a Bachelors in Nursing. I'm surrounded by 20 and 22 year old students, but there are a few second career people in my class also.

My wife is from another country and just started college here at age 36. She had to do remedial Math and English this summer. It isn't easy but it is also exciting pursuing higher education. Especially professional degrees that teach valuable and marketable skills.

What I love about higher education are the programs and professors that focus on critical thinking. My nursing exams all have scenario/case examples that require critical thinking to answer. You can't pass these exams by mere memorization. It really is a tool the Watchtower doesn't want developed within its members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit