Assembly memories

by freedom96 35 Replies latest jw friends

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

I remember making the hoagies....thousands of them. Wrapping them, counting them, crating them, shipping them to all corners of the stadium. Then some D.O. would walk in and tell us how we werent wrapping them right or not crating correctly. I remember one guy that used to be in the military....he would always end up with some sister crying to her P.O. that this lunatic was telling her that she didnt know how to make a hoagie correctly. It worked out ok though.....never got to my seat until 10:30 then had to get back before lunch started. Could never hear the program while we were wrapping sandwiches.....everybody busy gossiping...ooops..I mean building each other up.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I was at a DC in Macon GA in about 1979ish

Hey Ravyn, I used to go to conventions in Macon too. 70's and 80's and a few in the 90's.

Mike.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I remember making the hoagies....thousands of them

OH GOD dont remind me.....getting up at 2 am, drive two hours to make those AWFUL TASTELESS DISGUSTING hoagies!!!!

I remember those stupid flash bulbs too, seemed like people did it on purpose...sort of a non-violent protest

I LOVED Yankee Stadium assemblies.....I HATED Nassau Coliseum. But no matter where it was held it was all BORING.

• starfish422
    starfish422

I have almost all good memories of the assemblies & conventions, except for the two DCs in the mid 80's when we went to Olympic Stadium in Montreal and baked in the 35-degree-celsius temps and high humidity. Brutal.

I loved the fruit bags, I loved seeing people I didn't see often, I loved getting to go in all the back halls and restricted areas of the venue with my dad who was always in charge of sound & electrical, jeez I even loved the hoagies with the little packets of Italian salad dressing! LMAO But the absolute highlight for me was always the dramas. My parents had all the dramas on tape and I used to act them out at home. SIGH. Good times. LOL

• Aztec
    Aztec

I actually looked forward to the assemblies. Cruising the halls looking for hot guys, exchanging notes with my sister while my dad was napping (LOL) and the benefit of the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI...free entertainment! There was a restaurant called "The Main Event" in the Silverdome in full view of the stadium seats and you could watch people inside dancing. I remember one year it was particularly active and you could hear people laughing at what was going on inside. All in all, pretty entertaining

~Aztec

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Vets Stadium.....*shudder*.....I remember that place.

The thing I remember most is a place there called the "meat rack'. The meat rack was the seven hundred level seating at lunchtime (in the corridors) , because so many teens went there to pick up some ass. No, seriously. They even had several parts on the convention about it (in a round-about way).

Any other Philly Vets remember that?

Still, the heat at the vet was the worst...it was being covered in Napalm eating fire-ants. So many fat, elderly women almost died in that place, suffering in the sun because some 'special MS' and his family knew somebody and got seats reserved for themselves in the shade.

It was truly hell, and I will call anyone out who can top Vets stadium as a cess pit.

ash

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

pre-edited to say: I'm a bad writer and I ramble...bad combination so I apologize from the start.

...And I thought that I was the only one that hated those assemblies. I remember the ones way back in the 60's the most. San Fransisco around '66 I think...My mom, older brother and I staying with strangers. Ventura Ca. in '67...my brother bought the Stones Satanic Majesties Request album during that assembly I believe...talk about causing a family ruckus! I loved it when my dad would go because he wasn't a witness and liked to get up and walk around a big part of the time...so I acted up just enough to be able to go with him! Now that I think back on that, that was probably the most time he and I spent together and I enjoyed it! But, I remember getting flack from some because we were supposed to be in our seats! ......
    But at least back then they had REAL food! Enchiladas!!!(sp?) REAL orchestras!!! ...the dramas were always the "highlight" I suppose.... eeewwwww, I'm getting flashbacks!

I wasn't yet into sports but I loved being in the stadiums. It took a long time for me to find out what they are REALLY for...never got to go to any sporting event till I was 15, You could let your mind wander and there were a lot of things to look at. Just a little boy in awe of the immensity. White Sox stadium in Chicago...summer of '69. We got to Chicago the day they landed on the moon as I recall and I was SO interested in that but of course it wasn't acceptable. Gas stations were giving away paper cut out lunar modules and I wanted one SO bad but nope, worldly, non-christian, no can have. I was only trying to be normal. Silly me. We moved to Dallas right after that Chicago assembly and it just got worse from there. More family became witnesses (1975 was closing in) and I wanted away from it all to the point of wanting to be dead so I would not have to see all that was 'so close'...and I was only about 12 at the time. (sorry, I diverged)

Last assembly attended was in Fort Worth around 1989ish. I had been trying again to 'make it my own' but I had seen enough and really was only going for my mother's sake but this I can't forget. From our vantage point up high, as the whole thing came to a windup the "contribution" boxes were carried down the center of each lower aisle like a precision marching band. The whole schpeil was how they never asked nor begged for money but watching that unison march it was so blatantly obvious what they really want that I left and I can never go back.

Yep, I've got assembly memories. Mostly bad ones.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

hey Mike!

I was in Forest Park Cong(outside of Atlanta) from 1977-1979 and Warner Robins Cong(outside of Macon) from 1979-1980. If you were in the state of Georgia at that time you probably knew my father, and if you were between the ages of 15-30, you probably knew me... :: wink wink ::

Ravyn

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I always hated going to the Assemblies. Don't have any good memories of these events.

Athanasius

• Farkel
    Farkel

I was masturbating in our family volkswagen during the sessions of the 1963 (or was it 1961? I forget) Rose Bowl Assembly. It was about 3,000 degrees outside during that assembly, and I was bored to tears. Franz was screeching about this and that "antitype" and I was getting my rocks off. Knorr was telling about the great expansion work and I was getting my rocks off. My biggest problem with this "practice" was how to clevery hide the evidence, plus not getting caught by the Watchtower Cops who roamed the parking lots. It was a challenge I was up to. Besides that, the entire episode took less than a minute or two. When a boy is around 15, more than two minutes is considered having a sexual "problem."

Besides, back then, masturbating was about the only thing that gave me a will to live. I couldn't do much anything else, and even in doing that I was supposed to feel terribly guilty. After all, the chronic masturbating Pharisees in Brooklyn who told me I shouldn't do that, spoke for GOD didn't they?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit