A Story About Faith

by jgnat 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

I certainly wouldn't expect you to change it. I was merely presenting an alternative viewpoint, something I think that is beneficial for a writer to consider.

The difference between writing to a specific audience vs writing to a general audience is very important. If writing to a specific audience, say, a religious group, talking of faith in such a way works well, and as noted, most would probably find your story encouraging/uplifting. I was merely offering comment on the article from the point of view of a general audience, say, this forum in the 'friends' section.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Xander:

I have read your posts in this thread and I guess I'm amazed.

Jgnat possesses extraordinary writing abilities. It is a gift and one she graciously shares with us here. She doesn't have to do that and after reading your posts, if she weren't the person I know she is, she might be hesitant to do so again.

Is this "Creative Writing 101" and you are the professor? Are you really even qualified to be making the judgemental assessments you have about her writing? It's a STORY. And a very well written one at that. And just like any other story, one person may be drawn to it and another is not. Nothing wrong with that. But to pick apart her writing based on your problem with the definition of a word was unwarranted.

This is one of the things you said:

The resulting effect is not to my liking - although, to someone of a religious bent, I could see how it would be a very encouraging story.

So be it- if it's not to YOUR liking, who cares? I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am really not what you might consider "someone of a religious bent".

The difference between writing to a specific audience vs writing to a general audience is very important. If writing to a specific audience, say, a religious group, talking of faith in such a way works well, and as noted, most would probably find your story encouraging/uplifting. I was merely offering comment on the article from the point of view of a general audience, say, this forum in the 'friends' section

You weren't offering comment from the point of view of a general audience- you were offering your own. And it was far beyond "comment" . I would call it more of an obssessive diatribe. And again, unless you have credentials that I am unaware of beyond a general reader, one that you are unqualified to make.

I enjoyed this piece as I do all of what Jgnat writes. And it's because I like her style of writing. It draws me right into the story. THAT is what good writing is about for me as a reader. This isn't technical writing, it's creative.

And if you are having a problem with the word "faith" as others have been taught to understand it - good luck. You may want to then look up the original meaning of the word "nice".

XW

• Xander
    Xander

So be it- if it's not to YOUR liking, who cares?

Well, she does, apparently.

It might seem strange to you, but I still wonder if my story will have the desired impact, if it will manage to say what I have such a hard time expressing

She did not say "I still wonder if my story will have the desire impact TO EVERYONE BUT XANDER" She asked if her story would have the desired impact to whomever read it.

I did not think so, so I commented on that. Some people commented to my reply and a back and forth dialogue occurred that I thought was interesting to everyone involved.

I don't think anyone was offended by that? Except you?? Which is curious, as you really don't have anything to do with this, do you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit