Sorry for the young folks that don't get 12 inches anymore

by Diogenesister 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just listened to Patrice Rushen "Forget me knots"and it made me think - Do you remember the excitement of going to the record shop and getting the 12 inch of your favourite tune?

I remember Halkwind 12 inch Silver machine that went on forever!! Or Blue monday in the 80's depech mode

Or the fantastic gate fold cover albums of the 70's and 80's??

I mean in what way is a download a pleasure anymore for the kids? No rushing to the record store with your hard won wages or pocket money?Dashing home, unwrapping it and inviting your friends over to listen, poring over the art work okn the cover or - even better, the lyrics on the back, spending breaks at school singing the lyrics from ALL the songs on your favourite album.

I mean, the first thing you showed a new friend (boyfriend, girlfriendtoo)was your pride & joy record collection.

What do the kids do now, give their mates a list? Ok, spotify playlists you can share but I still say its not the same!!!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my first ever LP

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol your age is showing..... Kids today have their rituals just like kids of every generation. They wait up late until the new album hits for download. They still listen to the songs 1000 times to get the lyrics down. They share headphones (one side each) and play music for each other.... Young crush/love hasn't changed, only the means its shared :)

by my time cd's were replacing cassetts rapidly but i do remember my first gf loaning me a tape so i could copy it. It was a specal feeling and every generation will have those type of moments and strong attachments to technology related moments

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes the album covers were a part of the purchase that you made,

I must admit though that it is easier now to play music when all you have to do is push the right button and move to the song you want, no lifting needles and hearing scratches that accumulated after a few plays.

Technology is as such that you don't have to purchase the entire album that your interested in, you select what songs you like and download them to your smart phone which most people do now days, this saves you going to a store and saves the purchaser some money as well.

So technology did do some good but left some good as well.

In spite of that there is an resurgence of people getting into vinyl for the analog sound quality.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Stanlivedeath LoL wow, do you still have it?

Morpheus Aha!I have that to look forward to then, my twins are 10 so they just have their first spotify account!

And yes, I forgot to say to mention the all time best prezzie you could give anyone - their very own lovingly prepared mix tape! btw I am mid 40's but an early music lover!

Finky baby Yes, many people enjoy the analogue feel of some types of track but I definately know what you mean about sound quality! Some old mix tapes I cannot listen to anymore😣😢

I think tho one of the pleasures (sometimes!)was listening to tracks you wouldn't normally buy but grow to love - i guess you can do that with spotify too!

• Giordano
    Giordano

My wife just walked by..... read your Title and said "Tell her us old ladies don't get 12 inches any more either."

Apparently she didn't understand what you meant.

We used to pioneer together....what a potty mouth.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I certainly was around when records were out but I never heard of them being referred to as 12 inches when you went to purchase them. i guess that's just a juvenile joke of yours.

• TD
    TD
    The biggest thing I miss about vinyl was the quality/size of the album art, especially in two volume sets.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I too thought the title was something about shrinking genital sizes of the new (overlapping) generation, but now I'm on the same page, I'm wit ya bro!

Coloured vinyl too, what a treat. I still buy vinyl, it's made somewhat of a comeback ..

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Stanlivedeath LoL wow, do you still have it?

fraid not--it was over 50 years ago--although i think i still had it 20 years ago

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit