Pics of Super San Diego

by RandomTask 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

Ahhhhh, pics of my old hometown. Is Hillcrest still the same flamin' place it used to be over a decade ago?

I think I went to more assemblies than ballgames at ol' Jack Murphy. That's sad. Was never really a Padres or Chargers fan.

Hey RT and Scarlet, we are coming out there next summer. Might have to hook up if I can pull away for a day - not likely, but I will try. You can come too Farkel.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Is the brass rail a gay bar? It sure has "funny" name. Similar to the Greasy Pole and the like.

LOL

Edited by - truthseeker1 on 27 January 2003 15:29:35

Oh, LOL. It is a gay bar!!! I just noticed that!!!!!!!

Edited by - truthseeker1 on 27 January 2003 15:30:14

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Farkel Yes I do work on Camino Del Rio South.

Jourles- Hillcrest is probably more flamming than it was 10 years ago but I love it. We would love to meet you Jourles let us know when you are comming next summer.

Biker Chic- We went to the NFL Experience the fireworks were from Saturday night.

• Farkel
    Farkel

truthseeker1,

The Brass Rail has been a gay bar for over thirty years. Hillcrest has been a gay neighborhood since I moved there over three decades ago. It's one of the cleanest, most well-kept and crime free neighborhoods in San Diego. I'm not the least bit gay, but I wouldn't mind living there at all. Gay people pay their rent on time, make their mortgage payments on time, work for a living, keep their yards nice and generally, mind their own business. Gay neighborhoods go UP in value, even when they start to congregate in run-down neighborhoods. Commercial real estate professionals love what they do to real estate values when they hone in on a neighborhood and decide to live there.

The Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego is quaint, clean and full of funky little restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques. We used to define Hillcrest (in the old days) as that neighborhood with all the "bird streets." That's because in that part of town, many of the streets that cross the main drags like Washington and University are named after birds.

jourles,

I would love to visit this summer and things are looking good enough for me to do so. (If you can find me a place to live in OB for under two grand, I'll move back!)

To those who know:

Thank for you calling our stadium "Jack Murphy Stadium." It is NOT "Qualcomm Stadium," nor will it ever be to long-time San Diegans. It is, and will always be, "The Murph."

Scarlet,

It wasn't that long ago, I was riding a bicycle from Meade and 30th Street to Texas St., and down that steep hill to Camino de la Reina, turning West, and going under I8 to Taylor Street and on to Old Town, Turning West on Sports Arena to West Point Loma Blvd. and ending up in Ocean Beach to visit my friends of many decades there!

Next time you pop into Bully's East, have a Calamari sandwich for me! Yummy!

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 28 January 2003 0:31:21

• Southland
    Southland

Ahhhhhh ... not to mention all the streets named after trees starting from Downtown San Diego and ending up in Hillcrest:

Ash, Birch, Cedar, Date, Elm, Fir, Grape, Hawthorn, Ivy, Juniper, Kalmia, Laurel, Maple, Nutmeg, Oak, Palm, Quince, Redland, Spruce, Thorn, Upas, etc.

Gosh, I'm pretty embarassed I remember all these :)

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

Wow! From all the places I lived in San Diego, hillcrest tops them all.

Scarlet and R.Task - It is strange, but we probably crossed path. I live in Hillcrest few blocks from where the picture was taken.

Farkel - laplighter...a friend a mine is the bartender there.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Hey could you miss this landmark??? hahahaha

I LOVE San Diego, if I was ever to live on the West Coast again it'd be there or Seattle, but not sure if I could handle all the rain again........maybe in the summer then SD in the winter hmmmmmmmm this could work!!!!

Ven

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I'd like to meet you, RT and Scarlet (and any other fellow exjw San Diegans). I used to live in North Park, but now live in San Carlos, just a bit north of La Mesa. Hillcrest has some amazing eating places. I particulary liked eating at a Thai restaurant there, the name of it escapes me. Although I'm not gay, I always like going through Hillcrest. :D

Thanks for the lovely pictures

• Xander
    Xander

It certainly is a pretty little city from these pics. Never been to California at ALL. Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, but no CA yet.

Seems a lot like Phoenix. Only, you know, CLEANER.

• blondie
    blondie

We're planning on visiting California towards the end of this year. San Diego is hi on our list as one of our stops. I always wanted to visit the zoo but I see that are an abundance of attractions.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit