Aussie JW Sues Ram...Baa!!! + WT Perjury!!!

by TheApostleAK 14 Replies latest jw friends

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

An article appeared in last Thursdays Advertiser newspaper over here in South Australia regarding a court case where a current Jehovah's Witness (tm) sued a farmer AND the Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses for injuries he sustained during a 'house-to-house' visit.

Sorry I haven't got time to reproduce the whole 3/4-page article so i'll just paraphrase it. SORRY! If any Aussies want to see it just go to your State Library and they'd have it there.

Article details:

Newspaper: The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia)
    Date: Thursday, 23rd of January 2003
    Page: 11

Article headline: "Forgive Us Our Trespassers - SB The Ram Didn't". (Note: 'Trespassers' not 'Trespasses').

Basically 2 JW's (father + daughter) were country witnessing and they entered a farm (which was fenced totally around) and as they approached the house the male JW was charged by a pet ram named SB. He tried to fend it off with his suitcase but was knocked to the ground with a broken shin.

Article (rightly) points out that if they had read the sign on the gate "PRIVATE KEEP OUT" (Article has pic of farmer standing behind gate...the sign on the gate is right next to the gate-chain the JW's had to unlock to enter the property) the incident would not have happened.

The JW who broke his shin afterwards took the farmer AND the Adelaide Congregation of JW's to court!!!

The injured JW said in court that SB the ram "was a dangerous and ferocious animal" and [farmer] was negligent for not keeping it confined. (Err, the farm was totally fenced off). Also said that he entered the property to "engage in biblical discussion". (Weak excuse for justification to enter private property). Injured JW said he had to sell his "hose-fitting" business and is only able to walk small distances and his quality of life is diminished. (The incident happened in July 2001)

The injured JW sued the Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses for "failing to provide proper instructions about doorknocking in rural areas".

Farmer in his defence said the JW's had entered the property "uninvited, unwanted and without notice".

Now here the kicker, The Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses said in its defence (I'll reproduce the whole 2 paragraphs in the article here):

"In it's defence, the Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses said doorknocking was VOLUNTARY and followers WERE NOT OBLIGED to undertake the activity.

"Whether or not anyone claiming to be one of the Jehovahs Witnesses and the extent of such involvement is a personal matter for each individual to decide," it said. (Capitals mine)

So field service is now optional??????????

Anyone here wanna do a search on the WT CDROM for statements saying that field service is compulsory/optional????

The Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovah's Witnesses wasn't found to be negligent (based on the argument that the JW didn't have to be there) and the farmer made a confidential out-of-court settlement, which was covered by his insurance company.

To quote 'Dirty' Harry Callahan: "The law's crazy!"

P.S. I'll be definitely getting the court transcripts to this one!
    P.P.S. I hope the JW didn't have SB the ram put down...

AK

• wednesday
    wednesday

what a cool defense- we didn't force u to go in service!! Now i want to show that to some people who have told me that if u are not going in FS, u cannot call yourself a JW.Then maybe they could leave inactive people alone.u know, 30 years ago, no one would have ever sued for that. D o what they tell u too, but oh by the way, we never forced u to do that.

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

In it's defence, the Adelaide Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses said doorknocking was VOLUNTARY and followers WERE NOT OBLIGED to undertake the activity.

"Whether or not anyone claiming to be one of the Jehovahs Witnesses and the extent of such involvement is a personal matter for each individual to decide," it said

Yeah TAAK, we also read the same article, as we are in SA. The one thing that caught our attention is the lack of research the lawyer so obviously conducted, as any witness would be able to testify (but they wouldnt) is how a service record is kept and determines your level of privileges and status as a JW. (not to mention the ample research into this).

There is also an apology in todays (saturday 24the Advertiser) that the 'brother' did not sue the adelaide JW, actually the insurance compnay did and no doubt recouped any money lost in the settlement.

I can only see only one way to stop JW's from injuring themselves on your property when they enter uninvited and then sue you and that is to be listed as a DNC..... one wonders how that would go down.

PS, as a side note the brother is still a JW. PSS, I seriously doubt you would be able to get the transcript as it would be a district crt judgement and these are not usually on the internet.

Curious MInd

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

Curious Mind: I'm seeing if I can get the court transcripts on paper.

Did you see the other JW story in the Advertiser about 2 months ago?

AK

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

How are you gonna get them, am very curious!!!

No didnt hear about that one - do Tell ALL....

Curious Mind

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

Don't worry I can get it pretty easily....

see the post : http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42851&site=3

AK

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Yes now I remember that one - it was an emotive piece with very little substance - hence my forgetting it...

Still all the transcripts are from lower courts and wouldnt be transcribed for the public unless you pay for them to be, an expensive process.

Curious Mind

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

Don't worry, if you've got the money you can get anything...

AK

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

rather use the Adelaide Law School Library - its free!!!! Does help if you attend uni there

CM

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Maybe SB the Ram thought he was a ewe, after all they aren't called sheep for nothing....hehehehe

If you get the transcripts please post them AK.

What a bunch of hypocrites the Dubs are huh? You don't have to go witnessing, yeh right, don't go and see how they treat you. Bah.

Any chance you can scan the article and post it AK, I want this in my files.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit