Something profound just hit me...indulge me a bit?

by truthseekers2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseekers2
    truthseekers2

Okay, so I'm standing in the bathroom brushing my teeth thinking:

"I believe in God. The Almighty God taught in the Bible. I think I do. Yeah, I do. Or do I?" lol (State of confusion lately here!)

"So, what about all the other people that have believed in god? Is/are their god/gods real or not real? Is mine real or not real? Do we all just desperately need something to believe in and so we created this concept and cling to it regardless?" (I know, these thoughts aren't new, just bear with me here... )

"So what if we are here on this earth just to learn something before going on to something else? Hmmm. Never really thought about it this way until I read a post yesterday to that effect." (Thinking, thinking...)

So indulge me folks and tell me: What lessons are you going to take (or should I say, "would you take") with you??? I'm thinking on this one today.

BTW...how do I change my font color to something OTHER than red?!

• Xander
    Xander

Well, I guess there would be three schools of thought on this, and it would change my answer depending:

• You don't go on. When you die, that's it. Obviously, I would carry nothing on in this case.
    • You are tranformed into some 'next stage' of life. As a spirit being or something. I don't think you'd carry anything on in this case, either. I mean, how much do you recall from being an infant-in-the-womb? Nothing? The experiences then simply don't relate to your current existence, so you don't remember them. I'm sure something similar would happen in this case.
    • Your spirit is reborn into a physical form. Ah, now THIS is the tricky question. What does the 'human experience' teach us? I don't know yet, I think. A lot of things? Nothing? How great a failure arrogance is? What it means to understand the beauty of the world? (I certainly hope not this one, at least for most people, as most seem to truly miss the important things)
  • Witch Child
    Witch Child

I seem to have at least two great lessons before me; to learn to say goodbye,to let go, and to learn to see other options. I have found that I have often felt trapped in my life circumstances. After suffering a long time, I have eventually found that I had options, options I had rejected as impossible... like walking away from the WTBTS.

~Witch

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I believe that if there really is a God. A God of love, 
    then he can not pick one religion over another. When people are good
     people, loving people, people that genuinely try to make their time
     on earth worth it, God can not deny those people. I do not think God 
    chooses a Baptist over a Catholic, or a Jehovah's Witness over a Budist, 
    or a Jew over a Muslim. If there is a god, he would know someone's 
    true heart regardless of how much time they spend in church or going 
    door to door. Just like no matter how much time you spend standing in
     a garage it wont make you a car. So someone can spend all the time in 
    the world at church and not be Christian. 

Martin Luther King jr was an adulterer...... do you think if there is a god he would use that against MTKjr and not acknowledge all the good he did for people while alive?

• QCA1
    QCA1

Hi Truthseeker2

I have just finished reading Conversations with God by Neale Walsch, if you get the chance please read them,i have found each book an eye opener.

qca1

• email
    email

Such deep thoughts... I wonder if you were really in the bathroom BRUSHING your teeth!!! LOL

Edited by - email on 24 January 2003 16:25:11

• AlanF
    AlanF

As far as belief in various gods goes, I learned an important lesson from a Unitarian/Universalist minister:

All of us are atheists, because none of us believe in every god.

AlanF

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

The two major lessons I'll take with me to the next "level" of experience are:

1. I cannot control how other people think, feel, or speak or act. I can, however, control how I react to their thoughts, feelings, speech or actions. In each situation I am given a choice, and when I am hurt, disappointed, or angered by a given situation, I am rarely a hapless victim devoid of responsibility in the outcome. A precious few things in this life are "not your fault". In the rare circumstances that no action of my own has in any way affected the situation, I am blameless. If, however, I choose to remain in the situation that will certainly repeat itself when I have viable alternatives, I am culpable.

2. When someone tastes something and promptly turns to me and says "Oh my god, this is TERRIBLE...try it!" it is generally not a good idea to take them up on the offer.

• Scully
    Scully

Here's another profound thought for you:

What if there is no god, really.... what if the human need to look for affirmation for their OWN way of thinking makes us create gods that mirror our beliefs and values??

That would explain the way Yahweh of the Hebrews would allow a young woman to be raped and then would have to marry her rapist after he paid a fine to her father, the same way people bought and sold cattle. It would explain his command to go to war against his enemies, raping and pillaging along the way, while at the same time he condemned murder and adultery in the Ten Commandments. (ie, Jehovah is kinda psychotic... lol)

It would explain the Aztec (and other cultures) practice of human sacrifice, holy prostitution, etc.

They wanted to practice these things, so they invented gods who commanded them to do whatever they wanted to do.

Think about that for a while, and let me know what you come up with.

Love, Scully

• Carmel
    Carmel

I know using the anology of "evolution" may turn some of you off but it seems to me the ultimate irony is that human understanding of "god" can change over time, can be highly individualistic at any given time and yet still have a god that is consistant and constant. The fact that the creatures are becoming aware of themselves, begining to contemplate higher levels of thought and struggling with these issues is sufficient evidence that we are evolving. That our ancestors had a "child-like" view of the world and of the creator concept should not impare our ability to grow and become appreciative of the creation and the creator at the same time. No need to deny the existance of a creative force, more so to seek to understand it and apply what it can do to make our individual and collective lives more enjoyable.

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit