Why Do Some Defend the Butcher of Baghdad?

by Perry 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Saddam is a bad guy. This is no surprise. But, to ignore he is in power because of US support, is as dumb as to ignore that Osama was trained by the USA. You can ignore these facts as long as you like. They don't change.

Despite obviously having something less than a clue, at least based on their historical record, the USA persists in trying to arrange world politics for its own aims. Most countries do it to one extent or the other, but the USA whilst loving International law when it suits, ignore it when it doesn't, and can get away with it due to their clout... CO2 isn't a pollutant, just like shit isn't a pollutant... unless you have too much of it... You can ignore that too.

You can also ignore the fact that Israel is unreliable as far as allies go, and Saudi Arabia could go tits-up in a fundamentalist revolution (but you're ignoring the fact that the Arabian peninsular is the hotbed from which Al-Quaeda sprang both in terms of dogma and financing). Because of these facts, the USA is very aware that it could be without a major strategic partner in the area, which it desperately needs, and thus the insertion of a democratic reigeme (is that a chad I see before me?) in Iraq that would support the USA would be quite convenient. The other fact, that Iraq sits on the second largest oil reserve in the world, and is currently producing less than a third of their potential production can also be ignored, as if you pay attention to that, then it's hard to see it not as being at least partialy about oil, as if the new Iraqi government wasn't in Opec, then the price of oil would thus be undermined greatly.

As I say, Saddam is a bad guy. But is the USA really a good guy, bearing in mind the above? I don't know, but I hope so, as the alternative is too disturbing for words. Of course, the war is going to happen, it's been on the cards since this time last year... at that point the British were claiming that they couldn't fight in the desert, as their equipment wasn't good enough, and the tanks melted in the sun... why they claimed this when they'd been selling those tanks to the Saudi Army for decades, I don't know, and quite how they sorted their problems out, I don't know, but it is just one of a long line of things that makes me very uneasy.

Oh, does anyone know why Scott Hinkley was going to have dinner with Neil Bush the day his brother shot Neil's dad's boss?

Does any one have a feeling current affairs is a floorshow? Does anyone really believe the poor dolts in charge of the Witchtower, who really don't make big money for themselves or their decendants, for all the comfort they live in, are somehow more prone to greed, weakness, corruption,organisation malpractice, misinformation campaigns and deceit than politicians, who can amass massive amounts that will stay in their family?

Or are you really trying to tell me you accept it all without question? After what you've been through? Oh, please tell, I am really curious...

• Magog
    Magog

As you go about your business today please remember that in the presidential election, 539,987 more U.S. citizens preferred another man be president.

George Bush won 49% of the popular vote. Al Gore won 50% and 1 % went to others. The margin of error is greater than the margin of victory. In America the Electoral vote counts as the Constitution requires.

Bill Clinton won his first election by 43% of the popular vote, whereas Dole 38%, and 19% to Perrot and others. The majority voted for others, but Mr. Clinton won the Electoral vote as did George Bush. The problem many have with Bush is that they are sore losers, so they deride the man, much as the opposition derided Mr. Clinton.

None of this has anything to do with the Iraq issue that Perry describes. For example, some seem far more concerned with Bush, name-calling him a dictator than they are concerned with the women and children gassed and killed in Iraq. Strange set of priorities some appear to have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit