by Jesika 38 Replies latest jw friends

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

YEA JES!!!!!!!!!!HUGS TO YOU

<putting away boxing gloves and canceling trip to Texas> LOL

• wednesday
    wednesday

jess,

i believe grandparents do have rights. I have heard about this on tv. Now about the state of tx, no clue. I know if my dgtinlaw left my son, and refused to let me see my precious babies, i'd fight her tooth and nail. But then again, i'm not trying to turn the babies agianst her. I like her, and think she is a great mom.. Just a grandma point of view.I know grandparents who have gained custody of their grandchildren.

It is so wrong of her to tell the child to keep secrets from u. She should present herself as supporting of u and just wanting to be a grandma. grandparents should never do this do this sort of thing, unless she had adequate proof to believe the child was in danger. And then they would not try and turn a child against a parent.Tha can never be supported, no matter what the parent has done.

congrats on bellying up to the bar. U are a good mom and she should know that by now.

Edited by - wednesday on 23 January 2003 16:12:14

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Great News Jes. Been following the saga. My heart lept into my heart for a sec, though, when you were told you didn't have to show up. Very glad you followed through.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Wed,

I looked it up on line and the Supreme Court ruled that grandparents have to rights. Only in certain circumstances do they have a case.

Like the one you mentioned, if the parents were to divorce and the other parent wouldn't let you have access to the children, then you could have a case, or if the child has lived with the grandparent for 6months, then within a 24 month period the grandparent can sue for visitation.

On the other hand, in a case like mine where she has no grounds, and the child is in no danger, but the grandparent is secretly trying to get custody, then the court frowns on it.

Every case is diffenent, but the burden of proof lies with the grandparent having a legit reason to sue the parent/s.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Congratulations Jesika...that was a good move on your part to show up for court. Hope all goes even better for you in the future. Warrigal

• beepers
    beepers

Yay Jesika-I'm sooo happy for you and your son.

Amy

• Aztec
    Aztec

Congrats Jesika! I'm very happy for you!

Though my text is small in font it is large in it's intent! You are a very special person!

~Aztec

• Jesika
    Jesika

Thanx again everyone. I am so relieved about this as of right now, but don't want to tell myself it is over yet.

*getting out boxing gloves just in case*

• simplesally
    simplesally

Jesika,

I was reading at a site and it mentions that the grandparent has to prove that a meaningful relationship existed and they would have tell them how often they saw the grandchild. It also did verify that the grandparent would get their own visitation rights so they would not have to interfere with the non-custodial parents visitation so the burden would fall on the custodial parent to make the visitation happen.

I was wondering, now that you have a semi-victory at hand, how will you handle the ex-mother in law? Will you have to see her? Will your son be visiting with her or your ex-hubby, will he be seeing his mom? Tough situation you all are in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit