Newbie with Question RE: Male "Member"

by RubaDub 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This is my first week here and am glad I have found a place to comfortably share thoughts and questions. When doing research in the Society's publications, I often come across the term "male member."

I often get confused with the term and would like to know how others here understand the term.

As I see it, there are at least three distinct uses for the term:

1. Male member as the person

2. Male member as the body part

3. Male member in an insulting way

I am often confused when I read things such as "the male members joined hand-in-hand" or "the male members were unable to perform their assigned functions." These phrases could be interpreted different ways.

One thought I had would be for the Society to use the convention that it uses in the NWT for "you." The word is uppercase YOU for plural and lowercase when singular.

The same logic could be applied here. When the body part is being referenced, why not make it uppercase. When the entire person is being spoken of, make it lower case.

Another idea would be to use the "((" and "))" characters to make the information clearer. Maybe something like this:

When the entire person is being referred to, leave it the way it is now. Example: The male members were asked to ...... etc.

When the body part is being referred to, put a "))" or smiley face character. Example: The )) male member rose joyfully when he saw her .... etc.

Finally, when used in a pejorative way to reprove, use a "((" or sad character. Example: You (( male members have not heeded the council .... or .... You stupid (( male member! .... or .... You're acting like a (( male member.

I think the Society should make issues like this clearer. It will certainly aid us when we read the publications.

Any other ideas ???

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I wish they'd just call them a guy, a penis, and a jerk. That would be pretty clear, wouldn't it?

Nina

• Sargon
    Sargon

It brings to mind a moderately funny story the happened to one of the guys in the building where I live. He belongs tio the local Army and navy club. This is basically just a drinking establishment for ex members of the military. He recently got thrown out of the club, for getting too drunk and having altercations with other people. He showed my friends and I the letter he received when he got kicked out, the reason it stated was for 'touching other members'.

My friends and I howled. I think' members' is one of those words you can use anyway you want. Ain't English wonderful.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Ruba...

There are about 8000 "members" on this Forum!

Spanner

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Nina

That would be a clever idea. That way, when reference is made to the "male member of the male member" we would would know exactly what was meant!

***Rub a Dub

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I think that all the sisters should crochet the brothers at bethel penis warmers. Then they might not be so confused and confusing.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Context Context Context

• TR
    TR

Some "members" need reduction surgery.

TR

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Nina, you sure have a way with words. I knew exactly what you were talking about. Bug

• Beans
    Beans

Some members help other members, but not all members work well with other members. Some male members have taken things to hand for the benefit of the member.

Beans,

Oh yeah and lets not forget hte Canadian Group "Swollen Members"

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit