Elder's Meeting about ARC? No. Really?

by punkofnice 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As you may or may not know (or care), I live in the UK. A JW spy of mine told me that an elder had metioned that attendance at the Kingdom hells had seemed to have dropped off after the Australian Royal Comission expose of paedophilia within the Watchtower organisation.

The Elders were said to have had this as an item or the subject of a local Elder's meeting.

I was surprised they'd even heard of the ARC over here but at the same time was delighted. Delighted that meeting attendance had dropped possibly....and I say possibly...as a result of the ARC.

Even an older dyed in the wool JW I know is getting sick of the GB worship within the organisation and had heard of the ARC.

Has anyone heard similar?

• steve2
    steve2

To attribute any alleged drop in kingdom hall attendance to a single event that happened on the other side of the earth does seem far-fetched. What sort of drop is it? 2%? 5% 10%? More? Has the drop continued? Does viewership of the you tube RC hearings indicate thousands of views around the world

I'd like to believe it but it looks like sensationalist thinking which is not untypical of JWs.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

steve2 - Good point, brother. The elder that was getting in a lather about it is rather a naive and easily led bloke. He was the one that was shouting down the street at me once just after I left: 'Jehovah knows! Jehovah knows!'

I wasn't sure if I was embarrased that people were looking at me or at him getting all over excited in a judgmental way.

Yes. I'd like to think the ARC has stunted JW growth..........but I admit I will never know how much an effect it has had. Especially given that there are those that are on the edge anyway and just need the right nudge.

The Watchtower organisation is a totally different entity to what it was when I was a lad.....still crap though...just crap on a more visible level.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

The ARC sounds like ARK and if the bible is true how did kangaroos get to Australia.

I think the "ARC" will have no greater impact on meeting attendance in the U.K than the biblical " ARK" and Kangaroos has.

Besides we have had English T.V documentaries on paedophiles in the J.W congregations.

What impact did that have on attendance?

The Rebel.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Reb - Indeed. The documentary about Scientology v JWs was one of those TV shows that I know one congregation was told not to watch. The funny thing is, even when I was 'in' I'd still watch stuff on TV despite what the elders announced. Then there was the news recently about the paedo in Loughborough.

I know of at least 1 JW that was gobsmacked by the news of Loughborough but she put it down to the ineptitude of local elders...not the WBT$ being the originators of the problem of reporting to the police.

I do think however, that the GB being on their own TV evangelising show, along with Pixar rip offs and gospel rock, doesn't sit well with some JWs.

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

NZ congregation secretaries have been asked to compile contact information for those inactive persons to be followed up on by (?). Not sure what the official request says or whether this is purely local needs because of the CO visit next week or branch / org wide. My source speculates that it is to address recent mass faders in the local congregation although I think they actually want to pin point 'why' so that they can plan counter defense.

Don't underestimate the amount of talk about the ARC down under and what the consequence has been here. Many JWs feel thrown under the bus because there has been no 'official story' or address from the local elders about it. Some fairly loyal JWs I know (friends of my parents) have ceased going out in ministry because of embarrassment - they just don't have a Reasoning Book response for "pedophiles amongst JWs". There has been no elders announcement to confirm or deny whether this is true or apostate lies.

Those who are awakening are starting to research. Coupled with the plea for $$$, generation flip flops and the 2013 WT that talked about never questioning the GB even if it doesn't make sense and I think the ARC is the straw that is breaking many locals backs. It might not be one event but a close sequence of events that start a chain reaction.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In my opinion " Punk" it doesn't sit well, because when the G.B appear on "their own T.V evangelising show":-

A) The witness persona of the G.B is less mystical, and they are seen for what they are.

B) Therefore Witnesses can clearly see who comes up with this shit !!

The Rebel.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

MJB - there are a couple of things kicking off with the rebranding and money grabs that are confusing some JWs. Or at least that's what I hear.

It might not be one event but a close sequence of events that start a chain reaction.

I would agree with this. A lot of visible things too and none of them small.

Reb - In my day it was that fool Knorr and that looney Fred Franz behind the scenes. That they were not seen gave them an air of dignity. If I had have seen them come to th eforefront it would have put me off. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I think I said that small things, lot's of them can build up and up into bigger outcomes.

The NZ witnesses are under the banner of the WTBTS Headquarters, Australia, plus the Asian countries. So you never know what has gone around. Our talks from Aust, Headquarters often get screened to other congregations through Australia. I would not have been too difficult to watch the ARC in fairly close to our time....live stream.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

UToe - Eeeenteresting.

I guess death by a thousand cuts for the WBT$ would be how they go down the pan.....if they ever truly go this century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit