Happy Martin Luther King Day!

by Valis 31 Replies latest jw friends

• meadow77
    meadow77

that a BLACK Man would CRITICIZE and POKE FUN
    at another (Famous) BLACK Man?

I don't know.

I thought you might be surprised... a little

TT-This doesn't surprise me because people of all races believe different things. As for MLK committing adultery, there are people who say different things, unless we were there we can never say for sure. What I do know about MLK from what I have seen is that he worked very hard and eventually gave his life for what he believed in. Spike Lee has spoken publicly about his diapproval of interracial relationships. So what? You are certainly entitled to youir opinion, I am entitled to mine, and Cedric is entitled to his. Did you not hear that many in the black community were upset about those comments? So obviously not everyone agrees with him. It takes all kinds.

• happyout
    happyout

TT, I am fairly sure you will feel the need to respond to this message, and that's ok. I am done with this. You keep calling the people who took exception to your initial statements racist, but you can't see how the tone of your message came across. Ok, it's sometimes hard to see ourselves as other see us. I am sure I am guilty of the same blindness. However, nothing you have ranted in your other messages did anything to dissuade me from my initial opinion, you come across as a bitter, unhappy person who is unable to recognize the good in others because you are too busy looking at the bad. And, whether or not you want to be realistic and admit it, adultery is generally seen as "bad" and that is the only thing you mentioned about DR. MLK in your first message.

However, just as I would not waste time on a JW who is stuck in their mind set and not ready to be free, I will not waste further time with you. It doesn't matter to you what others think, so it no longer matters to me what you think on this particular subject.

To the many others who are able to appreciate the good qualities of a flawed man, I think we are the better for it.

Peace.

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* TT...I wasn't chasing you anywhere. I don't care if you don't like MLK, but I think you attempt to snipe at other things that are off topic. Just like you being called a racist. Could you not admit that your choice of words and the way that you post make you come off like you are doing more than sharing a facet of his life for us to examine? Yes, IMO...How about provide any documentation, a website, a transcript, anything to support your arguement other than posting something that looked like a haiku on drugs? No, IMO...*LOL* Anyway, I would just like to point out that one of the things he did was get more than just a consensus among his own church, but a huge number of churches and other organizations to fight for civil rights. I can see the preacher in him and no I don't like preachers...never have, but if being a preacher helped him get his message of civil rights accross then so be it. I can also see the humanity in him as well. To me that's the thing...opponents and proponents of MLk sometime deify him and other figures, maybe up on a pedastal where they are suposed to be something else or answer to a higher moral authority, but they don't. They live and die by the same rules we do. Just another person...one that did some good and paid for it. As far as me being a jackboot...nope, I just think that you could get your message accross, however difficult to read/believe, in a more friendly and less adversarial manner. Maybe that's not your style....or maybe its too hard a concept for you to grasp, but at least I tried.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Like Tom Talley, I prefer to judge the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior on the "content of his character" than the colour of his skin.

He plagiarised his dissertation and many of his speeches, he was a notorious philanderer and used funds from his civil rights organisation to hire prostitutes. He called violence "non-violence".

He doesn't deserve the title "Doctor" or "Reverend", and his given name was Michael, which he never legally changed.

So happy Michael King day, everybody!

• Valis
    Valis

funky...so you are saying that those facets of his character alone make up who MLK was? Or at least those are the only ones you choose to use in judging his character?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    funky...so you are saying that those facets of his character alone make up who MLK was? Or at least those are the only ones you choose to use in judging his character?

What facets should I use, besides the way he conducted his public life and the way he conducted his private life? Or did he have some character trait that made up for those major flaws that I'm not aware of?

• Valis
    Valis

What facets should I use, besides the way he conducted his public life and the way he conducted his private life?

So there is nothing good in either?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So there is nothing good in either?

It's unlikely that the man had no good characteristics. But why lionize him and proclaim him some kind of martyr when he was, in many ways, a despicable character?

• Valis
    Valis
    I'm here to express my opinion and see how close to the precipice I can get
    before Simon The Man Green decides to Lock Down The Joint.

That is as good a definition of trolling as i can think of.

Sincerely,

Dsitrict Overbeer

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

"How exactly does one celebrate Martin Luther King Day? Does one go out and commit Adultery?"

Hmmm...

How exactly does one celebrate July 4th Day? Does one go out and insult the Brits?

And who is your hero?...whoever he/she/it is, I am sure we will shred it to pieces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit