Happy Martin Luther King Day!

by Valis 31 Replies latest jw friends

• starfish422
    starfish422

Happy MLK Day! In that spirit: Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I remember when I was being considered for a job promotion in the textile company where I had worked for only a year and was only 19 years old, some of the employees complained that I felt the blacks were equal to the whites, and they didn't want me as their supervisor. I'm still proud that they felt this way about me. I have had several good friends who were black over the years and I hope I don't show any racial bias, although sometimes when I see the rap groups I don't like the culture they represent. I never felt that the blacks should have been treated the way they were in the 40s and 50s. Martin Luther King did a good thing by making the southern people see their prejudice. I wish all people could just live in peace.

Ken P.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Isn't it ironic that we can make heroes of Biblical characters like Moses (who was a murderer), King David (who was an adulterer and murderer), Peter (who was a liar), Paul (who persecuted the early Christians), etc. but somehow can't grant the same privilege to Dr. King?

• Valis
    Valis

I would rather give a bit of praise to a fornicator/adulterer who stood up for human rights and paid for it w/his life than someone who is too self righteous for their own good..I sassed the thread about Ali, but I admire him for his courage to fight the powers that be in his time and overcome prejudice. I just don't like boxing and think that he came to a simmilar demise....fighting his good fight and ending up incapaciatated..or in MLK's case dead, is there a payoff for greater mankind?...You can look at man that way, or can take the good points and apply them without reserve to your own life.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Seven
    Seven

RIP Dr. King

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.-MLK

• jst_me
    jst_me

at the risk of casting pearls before swine....

Dr. Martin Luther King held a PhD in Systematic Theology from Boston University.

I refer to people by titles because it is the expected thing in polite society. I do not believe in organized religion.

I do look up to the man and the work he accomplished, probably in the same way that I imagine you admire David Duke. I actually agree more with Malcom X and his idea of action. I do not believe it is right to love people who are evil assholes. They dont deserve it.

COINTELPRO was (and still is) an organization run by our government for the purpose of infiltrating "dangerous groups". If they cannot find illegal activity, they discredit the leaders of the group so that they cannot challenge the authority of the government and status quo. That is where the information about Dr. King's alleged affair came from. After having worked closely with the American Indian Movement (another group that COINTEL is scared to death of), I would take any information that is generated by that agency with a HUGE grain of salt.

Thank you for your racist, white supremist rantings. You are a prime example of what is wrong with this nation.

Edited by - jst_me on 21 January 2003 1:58:48

• meadow77
    meadow77

I am surprised that you can see the keyboard through your hood TT.

• Valis
    Valis
    Show some Netiquette!

Well TT, your broken form of posting is not exactly up to any form of netiqutte in itself. For one moment could you not see that MLK did lots of good work for this country and for people around the world? Did I mention he won the Nobel Pace Prize in 1964? You will notice that his premises for equality didn't rest on some cheesy prophecy, but the real need/value of civil rights for all. So, take your rhetoric and go home..otherwise you are just picking a fight for no reason. People will always live with one indiscretion or another...looking beyond that to the good wouldn't hurt your bitter/bitchy soul one bit. BTW I don't give a dam what skin color you have, jerks are like baskin Robbins..they come in at least 31 flavors. Go be hateful in your own thread ....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• meadow77
    meadow77
    I GOTS MY Information about Marty King's LEGENDARY Sexual Promiscuity
    from the very popular box office hit last year named: "Barbershop" ...
    and mainly from a BLACK Actor in the movie (documentary?)
    named Cedric who had a LOT to say about all the MLK schtuff!

Why does this not surprise me

• Valis
    Valis

You know what? You are right TT that MLk was a philanderer...so what? Everything boils down to cult followers for you huh? That gets awfully old and a little hard for you to ex[plain other than just spouting more rhetoric that you can't back up. I don't belong to a cult, nor have I ever subscribed to one of my own free will so what IS your point? I do respect MLK and frankly some of the most famous people in history have done the same...Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson among a few. Maybe you don't like their actions, but it doesn't besmirch their accomplishments of does it? If it does, then THAT IS WHAT I CALL CLULT LIKE LUNACY ON YOUR PART. BTW, I doubt you even know what a jackboot is, much less have a valid reason for calling me one.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit