Crow's right to die...Euthanasia in UK?

by Brummie 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    If someone wants to end their life, do it on their own. The problem is, in places where Euthanasia has been legalized, there was a marked increase in INVOLUNTARY Euthanasia. Not to mention that Insurance companies will begin to actually ENCOURAGE this because it will be cheaper for them to pay the death benefit than the cost of care for many diseases. Euthanasia is a BAD IDEA as public policy.

Oh and pray tell, how would this guy have ended it on his own, when he was paralysed from the neck down?

• LB
    LB

Tough call on this issue. If that is what Mr Crow wanted then I'm glad he succeeded. Pretty easy to see some possible abuse that could occurr here isn't it?

Almost 18 months ago my best friend shot himself to death. His doctor told him that his cancerous tumors would paralize him at any time. He promptly went home and ended it. We were to meet for lunch that day but when I showed up they were taking him away. I don't blame him, possibly I would do the same thing in his shoes.

Anyway this issue brings back old thoughts I have about our loving God. Even the JW's weren't able to explain all this crap to my satisfaction.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I think I agree with everyone here...its not a black and white issue.

LB that was sad, he took his own life and that must have been very traumatic for him, its understandable.

Euthanasia is about giving someone else the right to take the life of another person, its about the right to kill...thats what I'm not to sure about, like Trucker said, it raises moral issues.

E-man I think its a case of dying with dignity for most, and I can totally see that as valid, some diseases leave people with no dignity at all.

Yeru & TH those were my first thoughts, the news report said Mr Crow had paid 40 pounds to join an internet site that promotes Euthanasia and provides the contact info for those who practice it. Yet he was paralysed from the neck down, he couldnt have possibly done this without outside influence.

Good & Valid thoughts D Wiltshire

Mr Crows wife must be going through hell right now, though a little relieved that his suffering is over :(

Brummie

• Angharad
    Angharad

Bristish police are now going to question the wife as soon as she gets home to UK, as if she hasnt gone through enough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2680969.stm

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Bristish police are now going to question the wife as soon as she gets home to UK, as if she hasnt gone through enough

That is pathetic! Poor woman just had the hardest time of her life, you could see the trauma and hurt in her face when she appeared with her husband on TV.

If they even think about giving her a hardtime I hope there will be a public uproar in her defence.

Brummie

• Matty
    Matty

Trucker said:

I think where danger lies is if the decision to end life, is not quite made by the person concerned, and there is some outside influence, be it with best intentions, to me, that raises huge moral issues.

I'm really concerned about this issue too. There are a lot of people who have Motor Neurone Disease who don't exactly enjoy a fantastic quality of life, but they are alive, they can think and be creative, they can give friendship and love. Astrophysicist Professor Stephen Hawking has Lou Gehrig's Disease and is severely disabled more so than Reginald Crew was. Do you think this brilliant man should die?

I think most people that become disabled can feel like they are a bind and a nuisance to their families and that their life is completely worthless. If their family contribute to this feeling by agreeing with them that they are probably better off dead then I would consider this very tragic. It's completely up to the family of the disabled person concerned to build them up and make them feel that their life is really worth living. It's called LOVE.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Matty,

I understand that the problem facing many people is simply one of extreme physical pain that isn't relieved by medication.

Englishman.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I notice that somebody mentions that the potential applicants (I can't think what else to call them, customers or patients doesn't sound right) should be checked for signs of treatable depression. The clinic in Zurich had assisted a schizophrenic brother and sister in taking their own lives. Their parents were both instituationalised and they felt that the prospect of living their lives suffering from the side effects of their medication was not living at all and the clinic respected this wish.

It's interesting that society in general does not view suicide as an acceptable exit from mental pain but does for physical pain, and yet mental pain can be worse.

Euthanasia, assisted suicide, withholding antibiotics from weak elderly patients - how do we decide? I've had 3 friends take their own lives, and witnessed the degrading decline of granparents through Alzheimerrs and a friend's parent with Motor Neuron. I would much rather take a barbiturate overdose than endure what they did but maybe not in that dingy Zurich apartment, I prefer my last view to be of the Matterhorn.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believe it should be allowed. I watched my husband ( who begged me to help him die -I couldnt) If a person is suffering so badly -& has told many he want to go- We should allow it. my 2cents

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit