Live on CNN; mad Muslims with knives!!

by Abaddon 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

One has to be very careful about the way things are presented.

We should know this better than most.

I saw a wonderful comic on TV last night; here's his routine, more or less;

(in Reporter character); ... and now on CNN we're going to a mad islamic fanatic with a hook to see how the Muslims feel about the West; how do you feel about the USA sir?

(in Islamic fanatic character); !!Death!! to USA, !!death!! to UK, !!death!! to Christians, !!death!! to everyone!! WE support the ji-had and the elimination of all infidels! I'm gonna have to blow myself up now! *BANG*

(straight to audinece); Of course, you have to wonder how representative people like that are of the Muslim world in general... imagine Al-Jazeera doing a report like this;

(Al-Jazeera Reporter character); ... and now on Al-Jazeera we're going to the Grand Supreme Dragon of the Klu Klutz Klan to see how the West feel about Muslims; how do you feel about Muslims sir?

(Grand Dragon); Well now, A-rabs and the other dark skinned races like Knee-grows are be-NEATH us! Ther impurity must be swept away, away I say to allow a Christian State where no heathens will be allowed and, and GEE-sus! will be with us, yes now, with crosses burning just like it should be...

It's rather hard to get accross the humour behind his point, but his point is a good one.

We're ALL being sold a story, it's just a different story.

What do you think?

• Aztec
    Aztec

I totally agree! There is a huge Arabic population where I live. A surprisingly large percent are Catholic. The media can always slant things to support their story. I don't trust the mASS media at all!

~Aztec

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

I think I was watching the same tv show last night, Abaddon.

He made me laugh when he said that he gets a much better reaction from people when he says he's from Persia, rather than Iran. Persian cat = cute elegant furry animal. Iranian cat = probably got a bomb strapped under it!

ig.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Iggy, several years ago I worked with a few Iranian men. They always told people they were from Persia. Hey, looks like Iran and the WT have something in common: they've figured out how to purge nationalism from their people, although I think Iran has done a much better job of it, truth be known.

The other common factor I remember about these Iranians was that they didn't know how to curse, everything was "s**t f**k!". lol

Edited by - SixofNine on 19 January 2003 13:7:9

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

iggy; that's the man! I'm a great fan of comedy like that... do you know any Bill Hicks or Dennis Leary?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The difference being, of course, that the main stream media denegrates the KKK, there are no nationally televised Telethons for the KKK, the US government isn't paying the KKK money not to attack it. There are no publically funded schools out there teaching the KKK message.

Fortunately too, the KKK hasn't killed 3000 people in one fell swoop.

All those things are done for the radical Muslims over in Saudi. So, it doesn't follow. Yes, the KKK is and should be marginalized. But this comparison is ridiculous because of the above. Our fight is not against Muslims, nor against Islam, our fight is against TERRORISTS, whether they are Muslim, Catholic Protestant or what have you.

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 20 January 2003 11:46:59

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Hi Abaddon, I'm not that familiar with Bill Hicks' work, but I do like Dennis Leary.

"Bring me a live cow over to the table!! I'll carve off what I want, and ride the rest home!"

ig.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

iggy; kazza some Hicks. He's dead now, but he's a real find - Leary comes off worse in comparison, slightly more sanitised.

Yerusalem; In non-sectarian Islamic countries, just in case you missed the ENTIRE POINT, then your assumptions, that the Islamic fanatics are not denigrated, and are widely publically and governmentally supported, are false. As for education, as far as I was aware it was okay in the USA to bring children up in your religion, even if that is some crazed form of Christianity, and therefore, even though both in the USA and elsewhere religious fundamentalism causes societal problems, I guess it's okay for non-Americans to have the same freedom, and such religious schools are as private as the worst dens of Christian ignorance. In non-sectarian Islanmic states, the education is also non-sectarian, or at least moderate.

You do have a good point about the KKK. It's a lot better if you spread the killings out over decades, as then people can pretend everything's okay.

I made a comparison between sectarian nutters, and said we'd better be careful before we base our opinion on the media. The implicit point was that most Muslims are fanatical nutters, just like most Christians are not racist nutjobs. You chunter on using examples about sectarian extremeists, and rightly name Saudi, and either are not interested in discussion the bias in the media or are missing the point. So your point is?

Edited by - Abaddon on 21 January 2003 4:57:5

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My biggest point was this...

Our fight is not against Muslims, nor against Islam, our fight is against TERRORISTS, whether they are Muslim, Catholic Protestant or what have you.

I have to be honest, most of the media outlets I watch have been careful to make the distinction between Arabs in general and terrorists.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

remember all those palestinians shown by CNN celebrating on 9/11? a great piece of work by the mass media

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit