My story...

by christopherceo 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• christopherceo
    christopherceo

Okay, I've chatted with several of you and I thought it was time to tell my story. It all began during the gulf war early in January 1991. I was concerned about the war becoming the end of the world and naturally, because of my lifestyle, I began asking myself what I intended to do with my life. A pioneer sister worked in the office where I worked, I knew she was a witness and studied the bible so I asked her opinion on what was happening. If I had known what consequences would follow and how messed up things would become, I would have taped my own mouth shut! But like most of us, I asked and listened. As a result, I was baptized in Nov of 1991. Oh it was great at first, all of the friendliness and compliments on how well I was doing, it overwhelmed me. I was sure I had really found the "truth". Oh by the way, I married that pioneer sister. She was raised as a JW so she was really messed up emotionally. Like too many, her own father sexually abused her and everybody pretended it never happened. Anyway, I made it so that I could begin pioneering so the day after I was baptized, I applied to auxilliary pioneer. Soon, I was laid off from work. As suggested by some, I took the opportunity to regular pioneer and applied, along with my wife, who by the way had just been reinstated from being disfellowshipped for marrying me. The elders called us to the dreaded "back room" to talk to us about our decision. They said they would not approve it since I didn't have a job. One elder actually said, "what if you can't buy your wife a new pair of shoes and a new dress every week for field service". My reply was, who does that anyway? By the time it was over, I had been thoroughly humiliated and reduced to tears. From that moment on things changed.

I continued to "progress" and was given many priveledges. Eventually, a CO befriended me and made me an offer. If I would move to another congregation, get to know the "flock" and provide him with information, he would approve my pioneer application. I did. Not even the elders knew why I was there other than to help out where there was a need. Over ten years I moved to 8 different congregations and provided subsequent CO's with the same info on publishers, MS, and elders. (I had done some private detective work before becoming a jw). I was withheld being appointed as an elder because they thought the congregation would open up more to a pioneer MS. I was treated very harshly in most cong's as if they suspected something Many times we were without basic needs although I was expected to help others. After some time my wife decided at age 25 that she was of the anointed. She expressed this to some and before long it was as if we were satans's own children.

Eventually we moved to Florida. She partook at the first memorial there and that set off the fireworks. Priveledges were denied, we would not be called on at meetings, nobody wanted to work with us in field service, we were never invited anywhere. Try to explain that to children who were 2, 4, and 5. I decided, deleted 'em! Started missing meetings, no service, no commenting, no family or personal studying, and prayer became just for meals and bedtime.

For some reason, in September 2001, after 10 years and 10 days of marriage, my wife decided to fool around with a "worldly" guy. I found out and asked her to leave. That night, she left in the middle of the night and took my kids to TN while I was sleeping. A week later she called and told me she was filing for divorce because she wanted to be with the other guy. A month and a half later I got to see my kids again. She eventually moved back to FL because the witnesses she was staying with found out what she did and asked her to leave. She got pregnant by the "other guy" and we divorced on August 09, 2002.

At my last meeting (still too painful to tell all) a couple of elders reduced me to tears in the parking lot over what was going on in my life. They didn't care about me, they were just worried about how they would look to other elders and other cong's. I never went back, although several elders called and tried to visit for 3-4 months. I finally told them to leave me alone and they did. So here I am now trying to heal all of the wounds, too many of which can be detailed here and now. I am glad I found this site because it's comforting to know that others have been through the same thing. I will add more to this story later, I just had to get at least this much out.

Edited by - Englishman on 19 January 2003 11:36:28

• Brummie
    Brummie

Gee thanks for sharing your story christopherceo, welcome to the board.

So here I am now trying to heal all of the wounds, too many of which can be detailed here and now

Be patient with yourself, it takes time but the wounds do eventually heal and life has a lot more to offer as you will see.

At my last meeting (still too painful to tell all) a couple of elders reduced me to tears in the parking lot over what was going on in my life. They didn't care about me, they were just worried about how they would look to other elders and other cong's.

That got me feeling angry, some of them have no empathy at all, some are just a bunch of selfish people looking out for themselves and not giving a darn about whom they trample over in their self quest...sorry you met with these type.

Glad you shared, you have had to cope with a lot recently, look forward to hearing more.

Brummie

Edited by - brummie on 18 January 2003 23:7:41

• dottie
    dottie

((((((((((((((((((Chris))))))))))))))))))))

We are very happy that you're here...I'm sure that you will find the comfort & support that you'll need.

I have found this place to be a tremendous place of support and to vent when I need to. I hope you'll be happy here, welcome to your new home!

Dottie

• Banshee
    Banshee

((((((((Christo))))))))) I am so sorry for all of the pain you have endured at the hands of the WT. Thank you so much for sharing some of your story with us. I sure hope that we on the forum can help you in healing those wounds you have sustained. Welcome to the forum and I hope you hang around here!

Much love,

--Banshee

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Welcome Chris!

Glad you posted your story. I know it's not easy. But it does help to vent...and if we are nothing but a place to vent that's cool too. Hang in there, and I hope you stick around...

*hugs to you*

• christopherceo
    christopherceo

Thanks guys. It feels good just to get it out, this is the first time I have talked about my experiences but you have made me feel welcome.

• MsJam
    MsJam

Chris

Welcome to the board! It's good to write it all out. At least for me it was very theraputic. Just know you are not alone and you will find great support and encouragment here.

((((hugs))))

JAM

• Dawn
    Dawn

(((((Chris)))))

I believe you will find this place to help in your healing - knowing that others understand and that YOU are not at fault really helps.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Christopherceo, amazing story, you have really been through it. I didn't know that spies were placed in the congregations, is this a common practice. That is disgusting! Thank you for sharing your story. I just hope you are able to be a regular fixture in your children's lifes, as it seems you are the only stable role model they have.

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our club house.

"provided subsequent CO's with the same info on publishers, MS, and elders. (I had done some private detective work before becoming a jw)."

What kind of info did they want you to dig up on fellow JWs?

neyank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit