A modest proposal: A national Do Not Call list

by Skimmer 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

There are a number of ways to begin the NDNCL (National Do Not Call List) project. The process of address list collection could begin before all of the distribution and enforcement details are in place.

For a start, we could set up a web site that described the project. The site would also have an address registration form for visitors to use. There would have to be a mechanism for a user to verify, update, and even remove his/her address. (Automated e-mail can help with some of this.) The site administrator can transmit the list to the WTBTS on a regular basis, or the transmission can be automated.

The WTBTS can be invited to offer an e-mail address of theirs to use for receiving the list. If they are uncooperative, it can be mailed to [email protected] or one of the other addresses in their Internet contact registration data. Perhaps the entire list could be sent once a month or so, with updates sent every day or even in real time. If the WTBTS refuses electronic delivery, then some CD-ROMs of the data could be sent to them by registered mail every month.

Some features of the site:

1) Sample letters, organized by legal jurisdiction, that can be used to establish status of informed consent and a withdrawal of permission to the WTBTS for any in person contact. A lawyer's assistance will be helpful here. A copy of the appropriate letter would be electronically signed by a user and sent to the WTBTS; an additional record for Brooklyn to keep in their voluminous files.

2) Counters and usage statistics that would offer coverage data for different countries and regions.

3) Statistics for users that refer other users. This would be a bit of friendly competition to see who could make the Top Ten list.

4) A reporting mechanism where a user could make a claim of violation. This form would include the recording of the names of the unwanted JW door knockers along with the date and time of the violation. This would all be sent to the WTBTS so that they have a chance to settle without being hauled into court.

5) A listing of the congregations with contact information including e-mail addresses where available. It would be nice to be able to automatically identify the congregation corresponding to the address and so keep them up to date. Also, a user would be able to get a mailing address or phone number of the involved congregation and contact them directly to report violations.

6) Downloadable graphics for printing out one's own DNC decals.

7) And a copy of this thread to show how it all got started.

• unanswered
    unanswered

that's a pretty good idea, skimmer, and i'd probably be interested, but for now, my dog works pretty well too.:)-nate

p.s.-my dog works on baptists too.:)

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

"There have been reports over time that each Kingdom Hall keeps a "Do Not Call" list of addresses."

I'd like to confirm those reports. My last 2 congs had DNC's on the back of field service maps/cards (Each map/card had about 5 or so copies stored in a little plastic sleeve). My new cong has given me 3 A4 double sided sheets of paper with DNC's. Here's an example of DNC's sheet layout:

Compton Map 23
    --------------

1st St. 2,4,6,9,15,17,19,25
    2nd St. 1,4,7,9,11,13,14,16,17
    Main St. 1,4,7,12,17,25,28,29,31,35
    East St. 5,7,12,18,29,38,45
    Penny Lane. 5,8,25,29,56

(Some numbers u underlined because their either foreign language, violent, or elders).

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

can your dog be emailed UA?

If this DNC sticker or sign was easy enough to get and sign to ...more would show interest

• unanswered
    unanswered

steph20-my dog, ash, can be mailed @pit bull/boxer doesn't like door to door religion....

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello TheApostleAK, and thank you for the confirmation.

When marking the various addresses in the local DNC list, do they have any special symbols for apostates and opposers? Like red ink and a skull/crossbones, perhaps? An exposure to the real truth of the WTBTS could be much more damaging than an encounter with a pit bull.

Are all DNC entries treated the same? Are some more permanent than others? Are some callable by an elder but not by Brother SixPack or Sister SoapOpera?

In the NDNCL project, I was thinking of adding an optional entry in the registration form that would give the reason for not wanting any calls. Some possibilities:

1) I am an opposer.

2) I am an apostate.

3) The WTBTS are apostates.

4) I am fully informed of the WTBTS history and I think that they are inspired by Satan and run by demons.

5) I practive nudity at home and I am weary of having univited visitors faint/laugh/scream when I open the door.

I'm sure others can think of more.

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

There's no special symbols apart from the underline number. The Elders once a year call on DNC's to check if the DNC's have moved house.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Skimmer,

1) I am an opposer.
    2) I am an apostate.
    3) The WTBTS are apostates.
    4) I am fully informed of the WTBTS history and I think that they are inspired by Satan and run by demons.

while these are good, they will meet with the same reaction the current believers are conditioned to respond to.

5) I practive nudity at home and I am weary of having univited visitors faint/laugh/scream when I open the door.

this one is better

...but how about this

This is a christian household, no publishing cults allowed

S

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello everybody:

Here is the first draft of the letter template to be used by the Global Do Not Call List Project. The template is used by the GDNCL Project web site server to construct a letter using address data input by the user. A copy of the filled-in template is then e-mailed to the Watchtower.

I need your comments on this as I can't do it all by myself. And before anyone might ask, I have no problems doing all of this in public becuase it is to be entirely legal and open.

------------

[The following is a suggested letter template to be used the GDNCL web site.]

The Global Do Not Call List Project
    <GDNCL web site>
    <GDNCL e-mail address>
    <year>.<month>.<day>

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York
    25 Columbia Heights
    Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483
    USA

Sent via e-mail to: [email protected]

This letter is a demand for a permanent restraint against uninvited contact.

For the the purpose of this letter, the term "Watchtower" will indicate and include the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, the Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses, the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, the Kingdom Services corporation, all subsidiary and affiliated corporations and organizations of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, all successor corporations and organizations of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, all Watchtower Branch Offices, all Kingdom Halls of Jehovah's Witnesses, and all persons acting under the direction of or in association with any of the aforementioned groups.

For the purposes of this letter, the term "removed address" will indicate the following street address:

<address line one>
    <address line two>
    <country>

For purposes of this letter, the term "householder" will indicate the person or persons residing at the removed address.

For purposes of this letter, the term "the Project" will indicate the Global Do Not Call List Project, the forwarder of this message.

Summary: The removed address is to be permanently removed from consideration by the Watchtower for any uninvited contact.

This removal demand was requested by the householder at the removed address who has communicated the request to the Project. The householder has allowed the Watchtower to make a single confirmation request to the removed address via postal mail if said confirmation request is made within the next thirty days. The householder does not want any confirmation requests other than this single opportunity. The householder understands that the Watchtower is not under any obligation to make a confirmation request. The householder is not under any obligation to reply to a confirmation request. The householder may or may not modify the request for removal. Any postal mail confirmation request to the householder from the Watchtower must be clearly marked as originating from the Watchtower. The Watchtower is invited to include a pre-paid response envelope as part of the confirmation request. Confirmation requests by means other than postal mail are not welcome.

The request for removal is in effect for an indefinite period and can only be revoked by the householder. The Watchtower is not to assume that the Watchtower will have permission to make contact even after an extended period of time.

The request for removal is effective immediately. The householder has agreed to restrain from legal action in response to unintentional and peaceful uninvited contact by the Watchtower for a period of thirty days from the date of this letter. The intended purpose of this thirty day period is to allow the Watchtower to communicate the removal demand throughout the Watchtower and for a single opportunity for a postal mail confirmation request. After the thirty day period, the householder is free to pursue any civil or criminal complaint related to uninvited contact by the Watchtower and also to request assistance from any parties including the Project in providing documentary evidence of this formal notification.

The terms of the request are as follows:

1) There will be no uninvited representatives of the Watchtower on the physical property associated with the removed address. Failure to observe this request, whether by negligence, by recklessness, or by deliberate action will subject the representatives to physical arrest by the local police or by any other applicable law enforcement agency. Possible criminal charges include, but are not limited to, trespass, harassment, and interference with peaceable enjoyment.

2) If any uninvited representatives of the Watchtower appear at the removed address, the householder expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower for failure to adequately train and supervise its representatives.

3) If a telephone number associated with the removed address is known to the Watchtower, then the Watchtower agrees not to make uninvited calls to that number for any reason. If the Watchtower makes uninvited calls to that number, the householder expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower for failure to adequately train and supervise its agents who are responsible for the placing the telephone call. The householder also expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower under whatever telecommunication harassment prevention statutes that are available for use by the householder.

4) If a facsimile number associated with the removed address is known to the Watchtower, then the Watchtower agrees not to send uninvited facsimile transmissions to that number for any reason. If the Watchtower send uninvited fax transmissions to that number, the householder expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower for failure to adequately train and supervise its agents who are responsible for the transmitting the facsimile(s). The householder also expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower under whatever facsimile telecommunication harassment prevention statutes that are available for use by the householder.

5) If an e-mail address associated with the removed address is known to the Watchtower, then the Watchtower agrees not to send uninvited e-mail to that address for any reason. If the Watchtower sends uninvited e-mail to that address, the householder expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower for failure to adequately train and supervise its agents who are responsible for the sending the e-mail. The householder also expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower under whatever Internet harassment prevention statutes that are available for use by the householder.

6) No postal mail from the Watchtower, except for the initial confirmation postal mail (if any), is allowed at the removed address. If the Watchtower sends any uninvited postal mail to the removed address, except for the initial confirmation postal mail (if any), the householder expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower for failure to adequately train and supervise its agents who are responsible for the postal mailing. The householder also expressly reserves the right to bring civil action against the Watchtower under whatever postal mail harassment prevention statutes that are available for use by the householder.

In the simplest of terms: Do not call at the removed address. You are not welcome there. Stay away.

Sincerely,

The Global Do Not Call List Project

Disclaimer: The service of the Project is expressly limited to forwarding removal requests to the Watchtower. The Project will make reasonable attempts to ensure accuracy and timeliness, but is not responsible for errors or delays caused by software failure, hardware failure, network failure, erroneous request information, and/or any cause(s) not directly controllable by the Project. The Project is willing to work in a cordial manner with the Watchtower on technical issues to improve the removal request process. If the Project is dissolved or becomes inactive, any and all removal requests forwarded through the Project remain valid. Both the offer of the Project service and any use of the Project service is void where prohibited or restricted by law. The Project is a non-profit organization. It does not charge for its request forwarding service, not does it actively solicit contributions to cover the costs of its service. The Project itself does not have any opinion on religious issues. The Project is not a legal advisor, it does not offer legal advice, and it has no opinion about the validity or usefulness of any legal action that may take place between a user and the Watchtower. Users of the Project forwarding service are encouraged to obtain qualified legal advice before engaging in any claims against the Watchtower. The Project is not affiliated with the Watchtower, nor does it claim any approval by the Watchtower. The Project is staffed entirely by volunteers and is not under the control of any organization. The Project is only interested in providing an automated, uniform forwarding service of address removal requests to the Watchtower. The Project does not suggest that any person actually use its service and has no opinion whether or not its service will be appropriate for any particular user. The Project may retain records of its use, but is not obligated to do so. The Project encourages all potential users to carefully consider the consequences of its use, and for those who choose to request a forwarding of a removal demand are most strongly encouraged to ensure that any information given to the Project is accurate and is done intentionally. The Project does not provide any other services; in particular, the Project does not provide any service for removal demand revocation. The Project will make reasonable efforts to maintain confidentiality of records of its use; the Project has no interest in releasing information except as is necessary for the operation of its forwarding service.

• mustang
    mustang

Skimmer,

Looks like it's taking shape. Here are further thoughts:

Usual language seems to be "right of quiet enjoyment". That is a recognized "legal doctrine". It is usually used to thrash a snoopy landlord or neighbor w/ a loud stereo, but I'm toying w/ using it in Lawyer's Letter to my overbearing JW father.

You are doing essentially the same thing, but I would include verbage to the effect of "...revoking...the right of easement...". That's the one they use to get to your door, anyway. I remember this from older publications. (BTW, I was 'picked up' by the local police several times in Field Service, once w/ a CO. That one looked like an ordinance test case in the making.)

You mentioned agents: better put that in the "glossary". You might want to expand that to include the currently popular name of the various ranks: publisher, Elder, MS, CO, DO & go further to include those not specifically mentioned, including some sort of special representatives. Make sure you get the least or tiniest included. They would "weasel" on the trickle-down aspect and try to cut it off somewhere.

Along with the last, re-read and check for their "annual verification visits", somehow.

There is such a thing as "agent law". Check on that.

Throw in baptised or unbaptised. That is another potential
    "weaseling" portal.

You might want to push the glossary to the end, as an appendix or "exhibit".

Exclude their turning over your supplied address to mailing lists. A buck is a buck and the address is saleable. They (and you) could soon have quite a number of addresses.

Disclaimer: nothing that I write or utter is to be considered legal advice. Consult proper counsel for such matters. Further, all that I write or utter, is considered to be protected by religious freedom under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as the "free exercise", as well as "freedom of speech" clauses.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit