Woman Are Inferior?

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

In the Watchtower world, woman are just about nothing. They hold no responsibilities in the congregation except cleaning the toilets and not much more. We all know that woman are just as intelligent as men, and some could even be good elders.

Outside the Watchtower, many woman hold big jobs and have lots of success. Woman today hold the same jobs as men, and some do a better job at it than men.

Do you think that the bible is old fashion and underestimates woman?

http://www.nobeliefs.com/DarkBible/darkbible7.htm

Edited by - JH on 17 January 2003 19:26:33

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Do I think the bible is old fashioned? Being as it was written a couple thousand years ago, I'm gonna have to go with: Yes.

I would have gone with "Duh" but I wasn't sure that was an acceptable answer.

Seriously, I think this thread could generate many positive, insightful, well thought-out comments. It's just that this particular successful career and family woman is too tired to spend much longer than a few minutes restating the obvious...

• happyout
    happyout

I think that certain people use their interpretation of the Bible to put women down, much the same way they tried to justify slavery. There are examples in the Bible of women taking the lead, and being prophets of God, but not too much is made of that. One of the apostles said "I do not permit a woman to teach" and people have taken that and run wild with it. There are many religions,however, where women are allowed to teach and preach, and that is good. Remember, for many people the best way to feel good about themselves is to put someone else down. That's the real reason some say women should not be allowed to teach or preach.

• Realist
    Realist
    We all know that woman are just as intelligent as men

says who?????

of course the bible is old fashioned....to be more precise its a a huge pile of BS....written by man of a primitive society!

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

I think Paul is to blame for women being put down even another 2000 years after Jesus tried to explain a few things to us.

"Therefore all things, whatever you desire that men should do to you, do even so to them; for this is the Law and the Prophets."

( And for idiots, you have to add that this also is valid when a man/woman deals with a women/man ! )

• larc
    larc

Yes, I think the Bible is old fashioned. It was written at a time when conditions were very different. At that time and even in recent times, work was divided based on the differences in physical strength between men and women. With this division of labor came the power that men had because of the their physical strength. In today's technological society, physical strength is rarely necessary in a job. Men and women can compete on an equal footing on most jobs. With the change in technology came the change in cultural values and the laws to create equal rights for women. Many people believe that change came from the woman's movement along with the civil rights movement. I think that our technological change preceeded these cultural changes, and technology made these cultural changes a possibility.

• jws
    jws

I also have to question what we call the Bible. The Bible as we know it is merely a collection of books and scrolls pieced together by an ancient council. There were other books rejected that even had women as heros and role models. But, they never made the final cut. Were they divinely inspired too, but weeded out by later Christians who found the books didn't fit their personal beliefs and opinions? Or were they just some random, uninspired books? (from a person who still believes in the Bible) I can't say. I think some don't belong, but others may. And perhaps some of the books we hold as sacred are not and should have been weeded out.

The women as elders brings up a good point. Not to be sexist and typecast women, but many women I know seem to lean toward the role of a nourturer (is that spelled right?). I think the cong would have probably been a much warmer, more loving place if there were women elders who had more concern for others feelings and towards helping others. Unlike men who seem to be focused on rules and punishment and wielding power. Especially in this age where much of the old physical jobs have been taken away by technology, perhaps men feel a need to wield power and show their strength in other ways.

Just for perspective, I am a man and agree with many of the comments here.

• Mac
    Mac

Girls are dumb!

• freedom96
    freedom96

The bible was written 2,000 years ago, so it is going to sound like what it was back then. I think the issue is really if the WTS treats the women like they are inferior. I think the answer to that is yes.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

<puts up Dukes>

Whatchoo talkin bout Mac?

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit