The Emblems

by Nosferatu 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

One thing that used to really boggle my mind were the emblems at the memorial. I thought it would be much more sacred than going out to the grocery store and buying a box of Passover Crackers sitting right next to the Vegetable Thins.

I wondered why the WTS never baked the crackers and brewed the wine themselves, instead of letting a worldly company do it for them. Worldly companies are dishonest, and there could be additives and all that other good stuff in the emblems. They might not be pure.

It's almost as if Jesus said to the 12, "Here, I bought these at the corner store for you guys".

Also, what ever happened to what wasn't eaten or guzzled? Do the elders slice up some cheese after the memorial and celebrate a good attendance?

• Mac
    Mac

At our congregation the wine and bread was always made by a brother and sister who attended.

After the meeting was over their was a family that would stay and finish off the drink and eats........lol!!

mac

• heathen
    heathen

The whole way the witnesses approach the ceremony is a disgrace . I read what the apostle paul said about the lords evening meal and it doesn't sound to me that people showed up to munch on some crackers and have a sip of wine . This was supposed to be a meal not a snack or bite to eat before nap time.The people invited are supposed to wait for one another to eat dinner not sit around and pass stuff around . What a joke

• Ed
    Ed

I remember once hearing a brother reading out a letter from the Society advising the congregation that it was not okay to use Coca Cola instead of wine. So there you go, they do have their standards.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

In our old congregation the wine was store-bought but the bread was made by an elderly annointed couple (Frank & Norma Skwarlo). After the memorial was over they let me have a bite of the "bread" once. Nasty.

Mike.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I'm so glad I don't have to go listen to the same friggin' talk year after year after year after year.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My mom, my grand dad and a family friend all claimed to be "anointed". At the time I didn't realize just how privileged I was for getting to munch on the "bread" after the memorial. Thinking back, I do recall the other kids watching in aw as I got to walk around the hall munching on the leftovers.

The wine was always a nasty wine without any sulfur or something like that... not really sure why. Maybe it was the wine with sulfur.

The family friend was the one who would make the "bread".

I find it interesting that you are a bit offended by the source of the bread and wine. When I was growing up I didn't understand why all the fuss over such details. From my perspective it was all "symbolic" and therefore the source of the actual "emblems" was not relevant. As far as I was concerned the bread could have been regular crackers and the wine could be any wine.

I guess I was missing the mystique of it all because I was around it so much.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 17 January 2003 20:21:50

• Mac
    Mac

Mad Dog & Triscuits?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Actually, the store bought bread is more trustworthy than that made at home. Manischwevitz Passover Matza is made in the presence of an Orthodox Rabbi following strick rules. From the second a drop of water hits the flower they have exactly 18 minutes to knead it and get it in the oven. If it's 18 minutes and one second, it goes in the trash.

Kosher wine from a kosher wine shop is tasty too. The GOOD wine that is.

• jimbob
    jimbob

I always remembered that after the memorial, one or two of the elders would usually take home the wine and finish it off. They never gave a rat's ass about the bread. I'm sure if the bread contained alcohol, they'd polish that off too. And wasn't it funny how some people would always go out and party after the memorial. Woohoo!! We celebrated Jesus' death.....now let's all head to the lounge at Las Margaritas and have a few Coronas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit