Saddam the Comedian

by TR 24 Replies latest jw friends

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

What you are not asking is if Saddam gives a shit about the children in Iraq . Everyone wants to blame the US, but never looks at the actual leader of the country and says, "there's your culprit, there's your problem". Saddam has led his people down the path of poverty and death. If they had a true, free democracy we wouldn't be having this conversation. But he has oppressed his own people, killed off or exiled the bright minds and ignored the international community. He allowes his people to be impoverished so as to garner international sympathy and to cover his ass.

Edited by - RandomTask on 17 January 2003 17:17:18

• jws
    jws

Anybody see a documentary on Cinemax called "Uncle Saddam". From the info on it, a documentary film maker came to make a documentary about the effects of the embargo on the people of Iraq. This apparently got him access to Saddam and others. The result of the footage ended up being a documentary about Saddam instead. The mafiaso reference seems well deserved.

At one point, bragging about all the great things they have built, apparently somebody brings up the question of food for the masses and his answer is something to the effect of, 'we do things so well. If we put our efforts into providing food, we will do it so well, we will have too much food' - or something like that.

But, the people seem to love him. Much in the way that many in Cuba love Castro in spite of his record.

In spite of his strong-handed techniques, nepotism, and overall poor running of his country, why should we care? Why now? When he was killing his people way back before Gulf War I, we knew and didn't care enough to step in. So it seems to me that claiming our concern for Iraqi citizens has nothing to do with anything. Do we care that he's a dictator? Is that why he must be deposed? So what? It's his country. Why don't we depose other dictators like Castro? Because he has WOMD? Does that make him dangerous? Sure. But we have them too, meaning we're dangerous to other lands and cultures. Should they depose our leaders? Should we be forced to disarm?

Things strike me as terribly wrong about war with Iraq. It seems to be a foregone conclusion whether the weapons inspectors find evidence of current WOMD programs or not. So it seems to me like the WOMD thing is a smoke screen. We decided long ago that we were going to go to war against Iraq. Sure, Saddam is a bad guy. But since when did we go around starting wars with every bad-guy ruler in the world? Especially when they have not struck first?

• TR
    TR

Alan,

I think it's more like Saddam is smart enough to know that a lot of people don't know or don't care about those rampages.

Good point. This, I fear, is true.

TR

• seawolf
    seawolf

JeffT,

Realist, you need to realize that the UN pulls those kinds of numbers out of its ass. Saddam has been much more dangerous to his people than we have.

Apparently, someone forgot to tell Secretary of State Madeleine Albright:

Leslie Stahl: "We have heard that a half million children have died (as a result of sanctions against Iraq). I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?" Madeleine Albright: "I think this is a very hard choice, but the price, we think the price is worth it." -- A CBS Sixty Minutes interview between Leslie Stahl and U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, on 12 May 1996

She didn't deny any of it and since she said the price is worth it then a half million Iraqi children had died as of 1996 so how many more must have died by now? A million is at the lower end of my guess......

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Furthermore, what proof does anyone have that the number is not correct? Prove that the UN "pulls the numbers out of their ass."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit