Did Most At The Kingdom Hall Ignore Or Talk To You

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you find that you tended to find yourself alone, without many people to talk to, or were you generally able to chit-chat with the "friends" at the Hall?

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

We were not talked to most of the time. It was one of those halls where most were related by blood or marriage and we were outsiders, not from the area and didn't fit in.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

There were very few that I chatted with.I always felt uncomfortable with most.It is hard to talk to people when all you have in common with someone is your religion.At tha hall,there wasn't much to talk about,for fear that you might say something that could stumble someone(like movies,music,politics,etc.).We always left pretty quick after the meetings(except when my husband did the accounts,then we were stuck there til the bitter end).

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

The last few years, after my divorce, I was shunned from within the hall. I would go, hang around after for a few minutes by myself, looking like an idiot standing there, then go home. I tried to strike up conversations, but nobody wanted to say more than a quick hello. At that point, I didn't have much in common with these people anyway, so it was awkward.

Stan

• Angharad
    Angharad

I found it easy to talk to people at the hall where I grew up, but when I moved to Manchester I never felt like I fitted in.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

It was an interesting progression. Growing up I had no problem, and the first few years of our marriage we were very popular, so everyone talked to us. When Big Tex started dealing with his abuse issues, people started disappearing until finally I could feel the temperature in the KH drop whenever I walked into a meeting. I got used to it, and just figured it was something I had to endure, until the same treatment was meted out to my children. Then I left.

Nina

• minimus
    minimus

Most people try to get me in a conversation as my coat is on and I'm walking out the door. I don't appear to want to talk to anyone there.

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

The last congragation I was in I'd been in for many years so it was like a party after the meetings., Everybody knew everybody so we all talked. The congo I'm in now I speak to a couple of people shake a few hands and I'm out the door.

Diamond

• freeman
    freeman

I was pretty much able to chit-chat with anyone in my old congregation up until I started to do some work for the government. Everybody liked me when I was a TV repairman, but then word got around that I was now doing government work. Oh boy.

When people found out about that, then I got the distinct feeling they thought I had sold-out. I could tell. I think there also was a fair amount of jealousy too because the money I was making was many times what they were being paid, and they new it. For the record, I was doing some work for a non-military federal agency, but in their ignorance they paint all government jobs with a broad brush; they are all part of Satans empire.

I have not talked to those people in years but I thank them so much as it was their lousy attitude and some ultimatums demanded upon me by the elders in that congregation that ultimately led to my awakening to the truth about the truth. I only wish I had not lost so many years and some of my family in the process.

Freeman

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Sure, they talked to me, as long as I was the one that made the effort. They didn't go out of their way until I started missing alot of meetings. Then, I would have some great friend sistahs(not) show interest in me by moseying over after the meeting to try and find out what my problem was. As long as I was active, I was ignored. If they suspected that some high drama(worthy of elder attention and juicy gossip) might be going on in my life, they seemed to be suddenly interested and "friendly".

It was all pretty transparent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit